LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

We should not take a 1st round O-lineman in the draft!

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

First round O LINEMEN tend to be some of the best in the draft. It depends where in the 1st round you get them. High first is better than middle or lower 1st.

Jonathan Ogden and Orlando Pace come to mind as examples. If you can land that it's worth it.

Joe Staley is a pretty good player BTW. It's the rest of our line that isn't good.

Staley#28, Oher at #23, Clady #12, Andrews #16
There's nothing wrong with taking OL in the 1st rd...you just have to select the right ones. We missed taking Oher last year because Crabtree fell to us. We can't make that mistake again...we need to draft the best OT on the board at #13, then take OG Iupati with #16 or 17. We get our stud KR in the 2nd, either Gilyard or Arenas. Both guys are also excellent at WR and CB, respectively. In two rds, we dramatically upgrade the OL and get a fast WR/KR or CB/WR.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
There's nothing wrong with taking OL in the 1st rd...you just have to select the right ones. We missed taking Oher last year because Crabtree fell to us. We can't make that mistake again...we need to draft the best OT on the board at #13, then take OG Iupati with #16 or 17. We get our stud KR in the 2nd, either Gilyard or Arenas. Both guys are also excellent at WR and CB, respectively. In two rds, we dramatically upgrade the OL and get a fast WR/KR or CB/WR.

I disagree. I hope the Niners make that mistake 100 times over in the first. I'll take Crabtree over Oher right now, and again next year. Value. I don't want to pay 12.1 million guaranteed (last years 13th overall pick) to a 5 million dollar player. I want to give 12.1 million to someone who slipped because other teams made the mistake of reaching for need.
After watching the Jets yesterday I am more convinced than ever that we SHOULD draft not 1, but 2 O-linemen in the 1st round.

The Jet's are exactly the sort of team that Sing envisioned for the 49ers. A strong D, and an offense predicated on running the ball and not making mistakes.

The 49ers are very close to a playoff team.. In my opinion the only thing that separates the 49ers from the playoffs is an upgraded OL..

We are in a unique position this year to address this, much as the Jets were when they drafted Ferguson and Mangold.

If we draft Bulaga and Iupati we will be set at OL for years to come.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
After watching the Jets yesterday I am more convinced than ever that we SHOULD draft not 1, but 2 O-linemen in the 1st round.

The Jet's are exactly the sort of team that Sing envisioned for the 49ers. A strong D, and an offense predicated on running the ball and not making mistakes.

The 49ers are very close to a playoff team.. In my opinion the only thing that separates the 49ers from the playoffs is an upgraded OL..

We are in a unique position this year to address this, much as the Jets were when they drafted Ferguson and Mangold.

Yeah, the Jet's Oline is very nice and it makes me a little jealous and open to the idea of drafting a RT and Iupati in the 1st. Watching the Jets, you can really see the importance of a dominant LG. They love running behind Faneca.

Last season, I thought we would surely sign RG Brandon Moore. After hiring Raye, I figured it was a only a matter of time.

This offseason, realistically, I don't think we'll go after Iupati. I expect that we'll bring back Baas as a RFA and only plan for next season with Baas/Rachal starting.

IMO its more a question about whether or not the front office wants to tie up that much first round money [ 2 picks] on the O-Line...
Glory Daze.....you are an old school poster. How can you make this statement.

The real question is "How can they NOT draft a lineman in the first round?"

The line is the strength of your team. The only reason we didn't get to the playoffs was inconsistent offense. All of the teams in the playoffs have solid lines.

I agree we shouldn't reach on a player and we shouldn't draft a lineman if the best ones are gone but Spiller and Dez Bryant in the first round? That is a silly draft.

Come on now.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
We have no luck with first or second round O-linemen.

Staley - average at best!
Bass - below average!
Rachell - below average!

One rookie O-lineman is not the answer. I am open to later round o-line picks that can sit behind a free agent veteran and learn while providing some depth. We should trully go for best player available at ANY position outside of middle linebacker! We still need help at every position until we reach the playoffs!

I can see grabbing first & second round O-linemen if you get a coach that can develope them but other than that those picks tend to look like waisted picks if you are only getting warm bodies. These picks can look a lot lot like the Balmer over Jackson pick if we are not careful.

There is some pretty good talent in the 1st this year I don't think we can afford to pass on all of them. Micheal Oher would be mauling people of us if Crabs didn't fall last year. Hopefully we make the right decison and develop them properly, which I think is the real key, Doing so should make our offense actually be able to execute.
Originally posted by GEEK:
We have no luck with any drafted lineman.

Rachal - ewww
Baas - double ewwww
Staley - The Joe Show was worth it though...
Snyder - herpes ewwwww
Wallace - who?

Perfect example of piss poor drafting! look at that Vikings line! How many of them dudes were All American in college? Thats good drafting and free agency signings!

Originally posted by Mister49:

Rachal - ewww
Baas - double ewwww
Snyder - herpes ewwwww
Wallace - who?

Perfect example of piss poor drafting! look at that Vikings line! How many of them dudes were All American in college? Thats good drafting and free agency signings!

This is correct
I officially change my stance here, we can go Baluga & Iupati in the first, but then in the second (or whenever we can snag him 3rd or 4th round) we should go Mount Cody and just become the Bully's of the NFC West!

I like Spiller, and Dez White, and all of the other flashy players but if you guys want to build the trenches in this draft; I say go all out, pedal to the medal!

MClaine would be the only thing that would make me think twice about this, and if he falls to us we would then have to choose not to select one of the O-linemen (I would say Iupati goes).

Then focus on Arenas or Mccluster (sp) for special teams, and a S later in the draft.
I officially change my stance here, we can go Baluga & Iupati in the first, but then in the second (or whenever we can snag him 3rd or 4th round) we should go Mount Cody and just become the Bully's of the NFC West!

I like Spiller, and Dez White, and all of the other flashy players but if you guys want to build the trenches in this draft; I say go all out, pedal to the medal!

MClaine would be the only thing that would make me think twice about this, and if he falls to us we would then have to choose not to select one of the O-linemen (I would say Iupati goes).

Then focus on Arenas or Mccluster (sp) for special teams, and a S later in the draft.

Hey man, welcome aboard!

I, too, have thought about Mt. Cody dropping to us at #49 which would be a very good pick. Sure he can only play two downs, but damn what nice two downs that would be. He moves so well laterally in the two gap especially being able to take on double teams with ease.

Given that Franklin will be franchised this year, maybe Mt. Cody could be our man especially if Singletary takes him under his wing and transforms him like Vernon and Brooks.

Can you imagine a 330 pound cody losing almost 40 pounds during the off-season.

Singletary will know immediately after interviewing this fat fool. Hopefully, the fool on the hill(MT.) will wake up and pay attention to the opportunity slapping him in the face.

In my last mock, I changed him at the last minute. My three picks being Bulaga, Iupati, and Mt. Cody.

Wouldn't that make Mike, the lover of linemen, very happy?

I just don't think its going to happen.

Rachal - ewww
Baas - double ewwww
Snyder - herpes ewwwww
Wallace - who?

Exactly, last I checked Gore broke records with two massive free agent O-linemen in Allen & Jennings! Team hasn't been the same since they left...

Wow. Seriously? You are pulling for us to get another Jennings? Allen was good for 1 season!

Of course we should draft an OL in the 1st round. Say what you want, but Staley is a good LT. And he was drafted later in the 1st. Good linemen go quick. From our drafts, Baas is the only real disappointment. Rachel is still yound and improving. Snyder has been a solid backup (what do you expect with a 3rd round pick). It takes 1st round picks to get great linemen... especially Tackles which is what we need.

Glad you aren't GM.
Share 49ersWebzone