LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

We should not take a 1st round O-lineman in the draft!

We have no luck with first or second round O-linemen.

Staley - average at best!
Bass - below average!
Rachell - below average!

One rookie O-lineman is not the answer. I am open to later round o-line picks that can sit behind a free agent veteran and learn while providing some depth. We should trully go for best player available at ANY position outside of middle linebacker! We still need help at every position until we reach the playoffs!

I can see grabbing first & second round O-linemen if you get a coach that can develope them but other than that those picks tend to look like waisted picks if you are only getting warm bodies. These picks can look a lot lot like the Balmer over Jackson pick if we are not careful.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
We have no luck with any drafted lineman.

Rachal - ewww
Baas - double ewwww
Staley - The Joe Show was worth it though...
Snyder - herpes ewwwww
Wallace - who?
Originally posted by GEEK:
We have no luck with any drafted lineman.

Rachal - ewww
Baas - double ewwww
Staley - The Joe Show was worth it though...
Snyder - herpes ewwwww
Wallace - who?

Exactly, last I checked Gore broke records with two massive free agent O-linemen in Allen & Jennings! Team hasn't been the same since they left...
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
So if you fail at something you should just give up? that's the worst logic I've ever heard. If anything, the odds are in our favor to hit this time.
our o-line coach sucks
Scot hasn't had a ton of success getting OL in the first two rounds, so we should just assume he can find talent later in the draft?

How in the world does that make sense?
Fallacies galore.

But you're right, we should not take a 1st round O-lineman... we should take two.
Quote:
So if you fail at something you should just give up? that's the worst logic I've ever heard. If anything, the odds are in our favor to hit this time.

Originally posted by Overkill:
Scot hasn't had a ton of success getting OL in the first two rounds, so we should just assume he can find talent later in the draft?

Because you have other ways to aquire O-linemen via trade or the draft. Not to mention we have had more success in the past with FA O-linemen than drafted O-linemen.

I say if you aren't good at something you should give up and focus on what you are good at until you turn that weakness into a strength. You don't just keep making the same mistakes over and over again when there is more than one way to skin a cat.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Fallacies galore.

But you're right, we should not take a 1st round O-lineman... we should take two.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Quote:

Because you have other ways to aquire O-linemen via trade or the draft. Not to mention we have had more success in the past with FA O-linemen than drafted O-linemen.

I say if you aren't good at something you should give up and focus on what you are good at until you turn that weakness into a strength. You don't just keep making the same mistakes over and over again when there is more than one way to skin a cat.

how often do trades really happen in the NFL?

yeah we had real success with FA linemen, jennings, marvel smith, pashos

Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Fallacies galore.

You're right. We should just never draft OL ever. Ever. Ever. Because we're bad at it. So we shouldn't even take the risk and just sign someone who only wants to come here because no one else wants them.

Sir, I couldn't disagree more with this statement.

You see talent -- you take it. That's like saying we shouldn't draft a WR in the first round just because Woods, Rasheed Marshall, Jason Hill, Brandon Williams, and Brandon Lloyd didn't work out how we wanted.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Quote:

Ok enlighten me. What exactly are we good at that we should stick to? Drafting QBs? RBs? We haven't exactly hit on much.
The Jets and Broncos have two of the best Olines in football. Each is anchored by a top 15 pick at LT and/or surrounded with other high picks. I'm glad you aren't making these decisions. If the GM fails at these picks much more, you change GMs, not stop drafting linemen.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Quote:

how often do trades really happen in the NFL?

yeah we had real success with FA linemen, jennings, marvel smith, pashos

Jennings was better than any o-lineman on our current team by far when he was healthy! Marvel never played for us (not healthy), and Pashos went on IR (health issue). So other than health all of our free agents pretty much out played all of our 1st and second round o-line picks outside of Smiley who we decided to let walk because OG's come a dime a dozen right?
Quote:

If that's your approach to life, I feel sorry for you. If you have kids, I feel sorry for your kids' future.
Share 49ersWebzone