LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

We should not take a 1st round O-lineman in the draft!

Totally disagree!
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by GEEK:
We have no luck with any drafted lineman.

Rachal - ewww
Baas - double ewwww
Staley - The Joe Show was worth it though...
Snyder - herpes ewwwww
Wallace - who?

Exactly, last I checked Gore broke records with two massive free agent O-linemen in Allen & Jennings! Team hasn't been the same since they left...
I'd love to be able to pick up a proven tackle and guard in F/A. That way we could fill two other high needs in round one. The biggest problem is that F/A this year will be weak because of a player now needing six years to enter F/A. It's funny, last year we had the same dire need for a RT and we only signed M. Smith at first, we went with Pathos only after Smith retired. I hope we are more proactive this year!
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by kronik:
Quote:
So if you fail at something you should just give up? that's the worst logic I've ever heard. If anything, the odds are in our favor to hit this time.

Originally posted by Overkill:
Scot hasn't had a ton of success getting OL in the first two rounds, so we should just assume he can find talent later in the draft?

How in the world does that make sense?

Because you have other ways to aquire O-linemen via trade or the draft. Not to mention we have had more success in the past with FA O-linemen than drafted O-linemen.

I say if you aren't good at something you should give up and focus on what you are good at until you turn that weakness into a strength. You don't just keep making the same mistakes over and over again when there is more than one way to skin a cat.

If that's your approach to life, I feel sorry for you. If you have kids, I feel sorry for your kids' future.

dam that was harsh, funny , and true all at the same time.

this might be the dumbest thread of the year so far considering the Niners o line, and the reasoning presented for not drafting one in the 1st round.

Actually, during the glory years, the team's line mostly consisted of later round picks and undrafted players. Moreover, it is highly unlikely that a 1st rounder spent on the OL will be able to immediatly contribute at a level much higher than the current line. There are too many other areas where 1st round impact talent is needed including the secondary and a offensive/special teams play maker.

Actually, the notion that McKittrick had only late-round picks and UDFA's to get the job done, is a common misconception on this board. McKittrick had considerable high draft pick talent, with which he could mix-in a lower pick or two, but never the whole OL. Here are the facts: on the "glory" years:

Niner 1st round OL pick: OT Barton (87).

Niner 2nd round OL picks: OT Paris (82), OT Fahnhorst (74), C/G Cross (76), OG Bregel (87).

Niner 3rd round OL picks: OG McIntyre (84).

Niner 4th round OL picks: OT Wallace(86).

Niner 5th round OL picks: OG Collie (85).

Niner 6th round OL picks: none

Niner 7th round OL picks: C Quillan (78).

Niner 8th round OL picks: OG Ayers (76).

Niner 11th round OL picks: C/G Sapolu (83).

Additionally, FA signings like OT Audick, OT Gragg and OG Stone, were drafted by other teams and not "off the street" guys.

McKittrick was an outstanding coach, but even he could not make wine from simple water.

1994 starters

Steve Wallace 4th / 101st pick / 1986
LG Jesse Sapolu* / 11th / 289th pick / 1983
C Bart Oates* 36 9 15
RG Derrick Deese 24 Rook 15
RT Harris Barton 1st / 22nd pick / 1987

One 1st round pick/ 2 late round pics and 2 Undrafted.

Using a first round draft choice on an OL; unless he is simply a beast; is foolish. This team needs a playmaker PR and if one is there, u get him especially if doing so keeps him away from a divisional rival. And despite May's downfalls, which are coachable; you get him too as no one with his physical attibutes is even on the radar within the next few years. The difference in the talent level between the 1st rd and 2 to 4th rd for OL is simply not as great when compared to other skilled positions and being a first round OL draft choice does not guarantee success.
Joe Staley looks decent because everyone around him is garbage.
  • Ang
  • Hall of Fame
Quote:
So if you fail at something you should just give up? that's the worst logic I've ever heard. If anything, the odds are in our favor to hit this time.

Scot hasn't had a ton of success getting OL in the first two rounds, so we should just assume he can find talent later in the draft?

Because you have other ways to aquire O-linemen via trade or the draft. Not to mention we have had more success in the past with FA O-linemen than drafted O-linemen.

I say if you aren't good at something you should give up and focus on what you are good at until you turn that weakness into a strength. You don't just keep making the same mistakes over and over again when there is more than one way to skin a cat.

If that's your approach to life, I feel sorry for you. If you have kids, I feel sorry for your kids' future.

Was it really necessary to get personal? For future reference it's warnable.
Originally posted by Ang:
Quote:

Was it really necessary to get personal? For future reference it's warnable.

Sorry, I don't see where I got personal. Feeling sorry for him IF his approach in life is to quit? How is that even close to a personal attack?

[ Edited by kronik on Jan 13, 2010 at 17:47:08 ]
Time to trade CRabtree because we never have any luck drafting WR's in the 1st round
bad logic in this thread.
Originally posted by TX9R:

exactly, but the thing is, none of those OL were drafted in the top 15, they were drafted at the soonest, 29th pick.

and if u see the OL that are taken in top 10 or top 15, turn out to be good. So it's basically, by the time we want to draft a OL, all the good ones are gone. so if we use one of our top 1st rounders on a OL, i think we'll be fine.
  • cw9er
  • Info N/A
GloryDaze

• smileyman
  • Info N/A
We have no luck with first or second round O-linemen.

Staley - average at best!
Bass - below average!
Rachell - below average!

First thing--learn to spell their names right.
Second--do some research before you come in here spouting nonsense.

Baas was drafted 33rd overall--that's the 2nd round
Rachal was drafted 39th overall--also the 2nd round
The only 1st rounder in your list is Staley and he was drafted 28th overall, which, for all intents and purposes is the same as the 2nd round.

In 20 years the Niners have never drafted an OT in the top 20 picks, so how can you say that drafting one in the top 20 won't work?
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by ttime1:

Using a first round draft choice on an OL; unless he is simply a beast; is foolish. This team needs a playmaker PR and if one is there, u get him especially if doing so keeps him away from a divisional rival. And despite May's downfalls, which are coachable; you get him too as no one with his physical attibutes is even on the radar within the next few years. The difference in the talent level between the 1st rd and 2 to 4th rd for OL is simply not as great when compared to other skilled positions and being a first round OL draft choice does not guarantee success.

That's the thing with this year's draft--there are plenty of offensive linemen who are beasts and will be available for us.

Would I want to spend a 1st round pick on someone like Trent Williams? No. If Bulaga is there I'd take him in a heartbeat. Same with Iupati.
Stupidest thread of the year. I did a disservice to myself by clicking on it.

-9fA
Originally posted by smileyman:
We have no luck with first or second round O-linemen.

Staley - average at best!
Bass - below average!
Rachell - below average!

First thing--learn to spell their names right.
Second--do some research before you come in here spouting nonsense.

Baas was drafted 33rd overall--that's the 2nd round
Rachal was drafted 39th overall--also the 2nd round
The only 1st rounder in your list is Staley and he was drafted 28th overall, which, for all intents and purposes is the same as the 2nd round.

In 20 years the Niners have never drafted an OT in the top 20 picks, so how can you say that drafting one in the top 20 won't work?

I will learn how to spell when you learn how to read LOL. Look at the post you are reffering to again so that you can see where I was talking about 1st AND 2nd round picks! if staley is basically a second rounder than Rachell is basically a first round pick, right? There are 32 picks in the first round!
*insert facepalm here*
Share 49ersWebzone