There are 225 users in the forums

Terance Cody in the second round?

didn't they say that cody needs to lose 30 lbs to be an effective NT ?
I haven't even seen a mock draft with his name in it, will Cody be a 3rd or 4th round pick?
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:

The dude weighs 370 lbs. The heaviest starting NT in the league is about 350, most average about 320 or so.
I've got a better deal...given they'll franchise Franklin and most likely offer him a multi-year contract, I say we draft Jared Odrick with the #16/17 pick. I think he could be a terrific LDE...but has the size (6-5, 300) to play inside some, too. I believe he can do all the things we hoped Balmer would, but so far hasn't. In 2nd rd, I hope we pick OG Mike Johnson, Alabama. He's a very versatile OL, having played both OT and OG for the Crimson Tide. Cody may turn out to be a good pro...but going in, is nothing more than a 2-down player who'll need extensive conditioning to make any real mark in the NFL.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I've got a better deal...given they'll franchise Franklin and most likely offer him a multi-year contract, I say we draft Jared Odrick with the #16/17 pick. I think he could be a terrific LDE...but has the size (6-5, 300) to play inside some, too. I believe he can do all the things we hoped Balmer would, but so far hasn't. In 2nd rd, I hope we pick OG Mike Johnson, Alabama. He's a very versatile OL, having played both OT and OG for the Crimson Tide. Cody may turn out to be a good pro...but going in, is nothing more than a 2-down player who'll need extensive conditioning to make any real mark in the NFL.

I don't see this happening because this would mean that SM would be admitting that he failed on Balmer.

A. Smith is the starter for this very same reason, SM isn't ready to admitt he is was wrong in selecting him #1 overall just yet either.

I hope I am wrong!
Originally posted by smileyman:

The dude weighs 370 lbs. The heaviest starting NT in the league is about 350, most average about 320 or so.

The dude is also the best at what we ask our D-linemen to do (eat up blockers and stop the run)! I'm not saying take him in the first, but if we trully believe we need to be more stout in the trenches why not grab the unmoveable force?

Most people want Baluga & Iupati in the first, well after that grab mount cody in the second and you just became the big bad bully's of the NFC west because with Franklin around cody won't need to start anyway.

We have second rounders that need to be benched and first rounders that are on the bench on this team, so why not pick a guy in the second round who will come off the bench and change the way an offense has to play us?

Can you tell I am bored?
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by glorydayz:

The dude is also the best at what we ask our D-linemen to do (eat up blockers and stop the run)! I'm not saying take him in the first, but if we trully believe we need to be more stout in the trenches why not grab the unmoveable force?

Most people want Baluga & Iupati in the first, well after that grab mount cody in the second and you just became the big bad bully's of the NFC west because with Franklin around cody won't need to start anyway.

We have second rounders that need to be benched and first rounders that are on the bench on this team, so why not pick a guy in the second round who will come off the bench and change the way an offense has to play us?

Can you tell I am bored?

Why would we want a fat, overweight, 2 down player to replace a NT that's already one of the best in the league? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Can you tell I am bored?

Why would we want a fat, overweight, 2 down player to replace a NT that's already one of the best in the league? Doesn't make any sense to me.

you mean spell or sub, correct?
This is at 380:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNCdVEfoBEo
[ Edited by glorydayz on Feb 11, 2010 at 1:48 PM ]
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

Can you tell I am bored?

So why would we want to spend a 2nd round draft pick to sub a guy who's already at the top of his game?

Can you tell I am bored?

So why would we want to spend a 2nd round draft pick to sub a guy who's already at the top of his game?

because right now we have a 1st rounder subbing for him (Balmer), we can find something else for Balmer to do...like go fishing with R. Woods
[ Edited by glorydayz on Feb 11, 2010 at 2:07 PM ]
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

Can you tell I am bored?

because right now we have a 1st rounder subbing for him (Balmer), we can find something else for Balmer to do...like go fishing with R. Woods

It normally takes DT 2-3 years to figure out the NFL. I'm willing to give Balmer one more year before ditching him.

I really, really don't want Terrance Cody.

Can you tell I am bored?

It normally takes DT 2-3 years to figure out the NFL. I'm willing to give Balmer one more year before ditching him.

I really, really don't want Terrance Cody.

Can you name a few names of D-Linemen that had numbers and bench time like Balmer that later lit it up? Not saying your wrong I just always here this about Dlinemen yet no one comes to mind.

I think of D-linemen like BY/Sapp/Pat Williams/Randle/Wilfork/Haynesworth, and I don't remember them having numbers like Balmer. However I could be wrong...
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

I think of D-linemen like BY/Sapp/Pat Williams/Randle/Wilfork/Haynesworth, and I don't remember them having numbers like Balmer. However I could be wrong...

Aubrayo Franklin didn't light it up until Nolan left last year. Prior to that he was an average NT. I'll do some research tonight on some of the others to see what I can find.

Aubrayo Franklin didn't light it up until Nolan left last year. Prior to that he was an average NT. I'll do some research tonight on some of the others to see what I can find.

Right on Smiley, and like I said it's not that I don't believe you I just always hear these things (it takes D-linemen 2-3 years, or a player needs 2 full years after a ACL, etc).
Share 49ersWebzone