There are 162 users in the forums

Jacoby Ford

I'm a little bit surprised ppl arent talking more about him as
a potential explosive slotWR and PR/KR.
he was very productive this year without a terrific QB,
he is one of the fastest players in the NCAA and he's an experienced returner.

are his hands that bad... did he muff a lot of kicks... what?

he focused so much on track in college, i'd think he could really blossom
when he focuses on football in the NFL, but i didnt watch that much
clemson football the past 2 years.
He's fast, but this year he only averaged 5.2 yards per punt return and 18.4 yards per KO return (not very good). But I haven't watched him play much.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=66876&draftyear=2010&genpos=WR
We rarely run any offensive sets with three receivers, and have a lot of money locked in on Jones, so I very much doubt the Niners are looking at WR this draft.

Look for the Niners to address the PR position with one of the CB's on the board in the second or third round.
FWIW, Jacoby has pretty good hands and made himself into a solid WR not just relying on his speed but also incorporating some route running. He also is a pretty smart kid. When we beat Miami in OT on a 25 yard TD pass to him, it was because he suggested a particular play based on how the safety had been playing all game. He told the coaches to run a play they had run already, only this time he would cut it across the middle instead of making an out cut. It worked perfectly, and he walked into the endzone.

He's a good returner as well, but Clemson obviously made it a priority to get Spiller most of the return duties this year.
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:
FWIW, Jacoby has pretty good hands and made himself into a solid WR not just relying on his speed but also incorporating some route running. He also is a pretty smart kid. When we beat Miami in OT on a 25 yard TD pass to him, it was because he suggested a particular play based on how the safety had been playing all game. He told the coaches to run a play they had run already, only this time he would cut it across the middle instead of making an out cut. It worked perfectly, and he walked into the endzone.

He's a good returner as well, but Clemson obviously made it a priority to get Spiller most of the return duties this year.

Good info. Would be nice pick up in later rounds.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
We rarely run any offensive sets with three receivers, and have a lot of money locked in on Jones, so I very much doubt the Niners are looking at WR this draft.

Look for the Niners to address the PR position with one of the CB's on the board in the second or third round.

Sounds like you are talking about Javier Arenas or Perish Cox. Anyone else on that short list?
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Sounds like you are talking about Javier Arenas or Perish Cox. Anyone else on that short list?

Sherrick McManis out of Northwestern
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:

Good info. Would be nice pick up in later rounds.

I think so, too, depending on how our draft goes. I like Jason Hill, but Hill doesn't play anywhere as fast as his 40 time at the combine suggests. Ford, though, plays as fast as he times, and he should kill it at the combine. I've seen him listed as a third or fourth rounder, but I would imagine his 40 time will push him up into the third for sure. If we don't go with a playmaker before the third or he's available in the fourth, I'd definitely take a look at him, as he could be a viable return guy and get us some gamebreaking speed to compliment VD on offense.

Again, I see what Maddog is saying, though, and I already like Jason Hill and wish he could get more playing time.
Watch the kickoff return by CJ Spiller at 2:02 of this tape.Jacoby Ford is # 6 who while blocking downfield runs by Spiller like he's standing still.Ford has awesome speed and is probably available as a return man/reciever around the 4th round.We need someone with this kind of speed.

Added to
Quicklist
4:02 CJ Spiller Is Amazing, Career Tribute and Highlights CJ Spiller Is Amazing, Career Tribute and Highlights .

If the link fails,go to CJ Spiller on youtube under CJ SPILLER IS AMAZING
Interesting thing about Ford, he doesn't show a lot of moves with the ball in his hands, and he seems to get caught from behind more than he should. No doubt he has world class speed, but I'm personally not sold on his ability to be a playmaker in the NFL.

He is the fastest man in college football

True, but a guy like Ford (or other WRs drafted this year) would likely focus exclusively on kick/punt returns (sort of like Battle did for half the year) and only the occasional slot work. Also, Jimmy Raye is likely in the final year of coaching this offense, so we really can't draft with his system/approach in mind...IMO, we have to take a much longer view when drafting offensive players.
if hes there around round 5 then sure.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

True, but a guy like Ford (or other WRs drafted this year) would likely focus exclusively on kick/punt returns (sort of like Battle did for half the year) and only the occasional slot work. Also, Jimmy Raye is likely in the final year of coaching this offense, so we really can't draft with his system/approach in mind...IMO, we have to take a much longer view when drafting offensive players.

Good thinking there. Do you think we draft a guy who fits into more of a spread like offense for Mike Johnson when he takes over.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Good thinking there. Do you think we draft a guy who fits into more of a spread like offense for Mike Johnson when he takes over.

As long as Sing is the head coach, I doubt we draft with an emphasis on "spread"-type formations/players. But, I think even Singletary knows we lack speed/explosive playmaking ability at WR, so I can see us drafting someone like Ford, Emmanuel Sanders or even Antonio Brown who can produce on special teams and be a threat from the slot (or on the outside on occasion).
Share 49ersWebzone