There are 117 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Final Bowl Week Prospect Watch: (1/4 - 1/7)

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Hughes has consistently put pressure on Boise today. I really like this kid. Even if he does make it to the 2nd round, which is exceptionally doubtful in itself, I highly doubt he makes it to us.

He just needs to settle down and stop jumping. Those kinds of things, off-sides penalties, can be huge and cost teams games.

I like virtually everything about the kid. However, it bothers me that he is lined up on the RT. I simply have no idea how he would match up against the LT's in the NFL. I hope he gets the chance at the Senior Bowl to match up against some solid OT's. Half of these guys he's matching up against in these games are tomato cans.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Hughes has consistently put pressure on Boise today. I really like this kid. Even if he does make it to the 2nd round, which is exceptionally doubtful in itself, I highly doubt he makes it to us.

He just needs to settle down and stop jumping. Those kinds of things, off-sides penalties, can be huge and cost teams games.

I like virtually everything about the kid. However, it bothers me that he is lined up on the RT. I simply have no idea how he would match up against the LT's in the NFL. I hope he gets the chance at the Senior Bowl to match up against some solid OT's. Half of these guys he's matching up against in these games are tomato cans.

I think teams are obviously going to focus more intently on the better tackle he's faced.

Nice throw by Dalton there. I'm really pulling for TCU tonight.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 4, 2010 at 6:50 PM ]
Hughes with the strip and fumble recovery.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 4, 2010 at 7:38 PM ]
Sick move by that WR kerley or however you spell it.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Sick move by that WR kerley or however you spell it.
TCU needs to stop being so conservative. Two QB draws inside the 15 is absurd.
I think Jones gator armed that 2nd down pass.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Really keep an eye on Kyle Wilson. He's the kind of player the Niners will probably keep a sharp eye on in the third round, if he is on the board, and the team has not picked up a CB, nor PR to that point.

He's probably perfect as a nickel back, and would be a huge upgrade at PR. He's an even money bet to be the fastest CB in the draft, and if he does blaze a speedy forty time at the combine, could easily be a second round pick.

what are his measureables? por favor

He's listed at 5'10", 185, which probably means he's 5'9", 180. Not a typical type of CB the Niners like to draft, but they desperately need team speed and someone who can return punts.

Wilson has really impressed me tonight with his quickness and the huge hit on the blitz earlier. I like what I see.
Well that does it. TCU's passing game, or offense as a whole really, just wasn't good enough tonight.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Really keep an eye on Kyle Wilson. He's the kind of player the Niners will probably keep a sharp eye on in the third round, if he is on the board, and the team has not picked up a CB, nor PR to that point.

He's probably perfect as a nickel back, and would be a huge upgrade at PR. He's an even money bet to be the fastest CB in the draft, and if he does blaze a speedy forty time at the combine, could easily be a second round pick.


I think he played well last night. Being a UNR fan (I live in Reno) I have had the chance to see his several times. I believe he is the real deal. I wouldn't mind getting a CB with PR capability. The only knock on him is his height really.

Oh, and you don't have to sell me on Hughes. He's been on my want list for the entire season.

All in all, I think this is the Bowl game I most looked forward to. Yea, you've got all the other so called powerhouses, but these two teams both deserve a bow. Someone had to loose, in since I am a WAC fan I was kind of glad it was Boise State. It's the one time of the year I cheer for them.
[ Edited by nvninerfan1 on Jan 5, 2010 at 10:25 AM ]
The obvious prospects, everyone knows.. Keep your eyes on both OT Bulaga and DE Derrick Morgan, but don't for a second forget about the following players:

OT Kyle Calloway, some believe that he has actually played better than Bulaga at some points in the year. He has his issues that need to be correct, but Calloway is a nice prospect to look at in the 3rd round. Possesses a pretty good initial punch as he fires off the snap, as well as good feet to get out and make blocks in space.

I really, really like ILB Pat Angerer as well. Just an extremely athletic guy. I think he could eventually be a starting ILB in the league, but at the very least would be a fantastic special teamer because of his speed. Angerer's top ability is in coverage, but he's a mean hitter and wraps up well as a tackler.

Also, OG Cord Howard has been a slight riser over the course of the season. The GT guard has been praised for his sheer power in just pushing right through many of the bigger, tougher tackles. Dwyer has Howard to thank for a lot of his success. Keep an eye on him as well.

One final note -- Don't be surprised to see the 49ers show serious interest in FS Morgan Burnett if he declares after this game. If he has a great game, there's a good chance that could happen.
Other quick notes,

QB Stanzi is a good player (usually), but can be wildly inconsistent. Think Jay Cutler.

DE Clayborn is also very, very good -- however, he will not be entering the draft this year.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Other quick notes,

QB Stanzi is a good player (usually), but can be wildly inconsistent. Think Jay Cutler.

DE Clayborn is also very, very good -- however, he will not be entering the draft this year.

You think Stanzi might declare?
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Other quick notes,

QB Stanzi is a good player (usually), but can be wildly inconsistent. Think Jay Cutler.

DE Clayborn is also very, very good -- however, he will not be entering the draft this year.

You think Stanzi might declare?

If he has a heck of a game tonight -- which he seems like he's well on his way to doing -- he very well may. As an NFL team, I'd only take him if I really think I can correct his issues.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Other quick notes,

QB Stanzi is a good player (usually), but can be wildly inconsistent. Think Jay Cutler.

DE Clayborn is also very, very good -- however, he will not be entering the draft this year.

You think Stanzi might declare?

If he has a heck of a game tonight -- which he seems like he's well on his way to doing -- he very well may. As an NFL team, I'd only take him if I really think I can correct his issues.

Issues like that -- Wild inconsistency not just week to week, but quarter to quarter. That was due to staring down his read. Bad throw to the wrong side of the receiver.
...