LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

Final Bowl Week Prospect Watch: (1/4 - 1/7)

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Now that the BCS game is about over, who are the players that improved their status and why, and who are those who dropped in their status and why? Also who would be players that we would look at?

Gainers:
DT Lamarr Houston - continued to play hard and was the one guy to consistently get pressure. Beat Mike Johnson badly several times early on.
WR Shipley - Even without their QB, has played extremely well. Two TDs.
CB Arenas - Sure he got beat once on the double-move, but never judge someone on one play. He had one bad play, the entire rest of the game he had/has been very good out there.
ILB McClain - solid all game long. A mistake being offsides, but that's about the only negative you can take from McClain tonight.

Losers:
S Earl Thomas - not physical enough, didn't make a peep in the game.
DT Terrance Cody - simply a situational player, falls deeper into the 2nd round.
SS Woodall - Blown coverages. Woodall may have to move to OLB in the Pro's.

Static (non-moving):
OLB Sergio Kindle - Did some good things, but not enough to really make any significant movement.
OG Mike Johnson - Got beat some early on, but bounce back with some outstanding blocks to even things out.

I wouldn't say "Loser", its not his fault Bama ran the ball 90% of the time with Ingram and Richardson, who Thomas made a nice open field tackle on 3rd and 2. And not physical enough, dude was throwing his body AT the RB's, he could be blamed for miss tackles, but not physical enough C'mon.

Same goes with Cody, Bama knew Texas would pass more so they went with more of a pass rushing front.

We saw two different things last night. Sure, Thomas is not at fault for the fact that Alabama didn't pass much, but it's going to take more than one good tackle in a game to make people believe you have first round talent. Thomas plays Strong Safety for Texas -- Other guys like T.J. Ward, Reshad Jones, Kam Chancellor, even Larry Asante and Kyle McCarthy consistently make noise in both facets of the game no matter what the run-pass ratio. As I said before, Thomas' "ballhawk" status and him getting a bunch of interceptions is not enough.

He lost ground as far as the "1st round" standard that many around here place on him. If he was expected to play like a 2nd rounder or later, that'd be totally different, and I would not classify him as one of the "Losers" of the game. Hope that makes sense.

As far as Cody, that absolutely proves my point. He can't play on every down, and he'll be virtually useless against most passing teams in the league, and in such a pass-happy league these days, would that not concern you? You don't want to spend a 1st on a situational player like that.

So let me get this straight, your going to base one game with an opposing QB passing for only 11 times. BTW Thomas had more than 1 tackle, went head to head with Ingram in the 2nd quarter. In that game and lined up at SS and FS, but due to his cover skills, IMO, he'll be a FS in the NFL.

Oh and BTW Thomas has the same amount of tackles than both TJ Ward and Kam Chancellor, but more solo tackles than Chancellor.

Kolohe! Ward and Chancellor are both 2nd and 3rd round prospects, respectively, and that's the thing -- that's exactly how I see Thomas (2nd, not 3rd, to be clear here). Even Kansas' Darrell Stuckey had 93 tackles, 3.5 TFL and a sack. I'm sure Thomas likely will be a FS when he comes to the NFL, but he should go back to school for one more year and with another good one, he'd probably vault himself into the late 1st to early 2nd.

Regardless of your's or anyone else's draft grades on here, you stated that the Safeties you mentioned make noise regardless of pass vs. run ratio, and that's why I compared the stats. But from the times I've seen him play hes made some pretty solid hits, and in no way would I judge him off this game. Its like after this one game you gave a full college career assessment on Earl Thomas, if you've ever done a scouting report on him in the past I apologize, but that's just the feeling I get.

BTW where did you get 5'9" from?? On the official UT site he's listed at 5'10", regardless he'll probably measure in at 5'9" and 3/8 at the Combine.

I automatically take an inch off, because there were virtually no players that measured "as high" or higher than their listed heights. Plus, just guesstimating, that's what he looks like too, so..

By the way, Thomas is entering the draft.... Canada has the news first. http://www.tsn.ca/ncaa/story/?id=305322.

Thomas did the same thing last night that I've seen him do at various points during the season. I currently reside in Texas right in the heart of Longhorn nation, really, and get to see plenty of Earl Thomas. Thomas has been inconsistent in run support. It's not to say he can't get better or is terrible, he's just not fantastic. His lack of prototypical size does hurt him some as well, but thanks to his sensational coverage ability, field awareness, and hands, his stock is very high. He's simply stellar in that regard. But that's not enough for me to grade him a 1st, and as a result, all this put together is why he grades out to me as a early to middle 2nd rounder.

Make no mistake, Thomas is a very good player, but he's not perfect. I do not aim to take anything away from him, but in terms of talent, you know what I think. However, in terms of projecting where he'll go -- I think a team will indeed bite in the first, pending a horrific combine. In such a pass-oriented league, a player with his skills offers a slightly higher value now.

Seen your link in the other thread, damn you go deep for news and info!!!

As for Thomas we'll just have to wait and see on how his Combine numbers come out to be. But IMO he's exactly what we need in a FS, one word, ballhawk. Would love to see him and Goldson lining up together. But then again, I'm also hoping if we miss on Thomas we target Morgan Burnett....again if he declares. This all came about once I knew Eric Berry would be out of reach. Gotta look for happiness somewhere else.

I bet you we target Reshad Jones of Georgia. And I hope we do. Almost came out as a sophomore, but this year he was ready.

Jones had 4 picks, 73 tackles, 4.5 TFL, 1 FF -- Very good numbers for an SS.

Well if we target a Safety, I hope its one with good coverage and ball skills, in other words a true FS. I'd rather see Goldson at SS.
Now that the BCS game is about over, who are the players that improved their status and why, and who are those who dropped in their status and why? Also who would be players that we would look at?

Gainers:
DT Lamarr Houston - continued to play hard and was the one guy to consistently get pressure. Beat Mike Johnson badly several times early on.
CB Arenas - Sure he got beat once on the double-move, but never judge someone on one play. He had one bad play, the entire rest of the game he had/has been very good out there.
ILB McClain - solid all game long. A mistake being offsides, but that's about the only negative you can take from McClain tonight.

Losers:
DT Terrance Cody - simply a situational player, falls deeper into the 2nd round.

Static (non-moving):
OLB Sergio Kindle - Did some good things, but not enough to really make any significant movement.
OG Mike Johnson - Got beat some early on, but bounce back with some outstanding blocks to even things out.

I wouldn't say "Loser", its not his fault Bama ran the ball 90% of the time with Ingram and Richardson, who Thomas made a nice open field tackle on 3rd and 2. And not physical enough, dude was throwing his body AT the RB's, he could be blamed for miss tackles, but not physical enough C'mon.

Same goes with Cody, Bama knew Texas would pass more so they went with more of a pass rushing front.

We saw two different things last night. Sure, Thomas is not at fault for the fact that Alabama didn't pass much, but it's going to take more than one good tackle in a game to make people believe you have first round talent. Thomas plays Strong Safety for Texas -- Other guys like T.J. Ward, Reshad Jones, Kam Chancellor, even Larry Asante and Kyle McCarthy consistently make noise in both facets of the game no matter what the run-pass ratio. As I said before, Thomas' "ballhawk" status and him getting a bunch of interceptions is not enough.

He lost ground as far as the "1st round" standard that many around here place on him. If he was expected to play like a 2nd rounder or later, that'd be totally different, and I would not classify him as one of the "Losers" of the game. Hope that makes sense.

As far as Cody, that absolutely proves my point. He can't play on every down, and he'll be virtually useless against most passing teams in the league, and in such a pass-happy league these days, would that not concern you? You don't want to spend a 1st on a situational player like that.

So let me get this straight, your going to base one game with an opposing QB passing for only 11 times. BTW Thomas had more than 1 tackle, went head to head with Ingram in the 2nd quarter. In that game and lined up at SS and FS, but due to his cover skills, IMO, he'll be a FS in the NFL.

Oh and BTW Thomas has the same amount of tackles than both TJ Ward and Kam Chancellor, but more solo tackles than Chancellor.

Kolohe! Ward and Chancellor are both 2nd and 3rd round prospects, respectively, and that's the thing -- that's exactly how I see Thomas (2nd, not 3rd, to be clear here). Even Kansas' Darrell Stuckey had 93 tackles, 3.5 TFL and a sack. I'm sure Thomas likely will be a FS when he comes to the NFL, but he should go back to school for one more year and with another good one, he'd probably vault himself into the late 1st to early 2nd.

Regardless of your's or anyone else's draft grades on here, you stated that the Safeties you mentioned make noise regardless of pass vs. run ratio, and that's why I compared the stats. But from the times I've seen him play hes made some pretty solid hits, and in no way would I judge him off this game. Its like after this one game you gave a full college career assessment on Earl Thomas, if you've ever done a scouting report on him in the past I apologize, but that's just the feeling I get.

BTW where did you get 5'9" from?? On the official UT site he's listed at 5'10", regardless he'll probably measure in at 5'9" and 3/8 at the Combine.

I automatically take an inch off, because there were virtually no players that measured "as high" or higher than their listed heights. Plus, just guesstimating, that's what he looks like too, so..

By the way, Thomas is entering the draft.... Canada has the news first. http://www.tsn.ca/ncaa/story/?id=305322.

Thomas did the same thing last night that I've seen him do at various points during the season. I currently reside in Texas right in the heart of Longhorn nation, really, and get to see plenty of Earl Thomas. Thomas has been inconsistent in run support. It's not to say he can't get better or is terrible, he's just not fantastic. His lack of prototypical size does hurt him some as well, but thanks to his sensational coverage ability, field awareness, and hands, his stock is very high. He's simply stellar in that regard. But that's not enough for me to grade him a 1st, and as a result, all this put together is why he grades out to me as a early to middle 2nd rounder.

Make no mistake, Thomas is a very good player, but he's not perfect. I do not aim to take anything away from him, but in terms of talent, you know what I think. However, in terms of projecting where he'll go -- I think a team will indeed bite in the first, pending a horrific combine. In such a pass-oriented league, a player with his skills offers a slightly higher value now.

As for Thomas we'll just have to wait and see on how his Combine numbers come out to be. But IMO he's exactly what we need in a FS, one word, ballhawk. Would love to see him and Goldson lining up together. But then again, I'm also hoping if we miss on Thomas we target Morgan Burnett....again if he declares. This all came about once I knew Eric Berry would be out of reach. Gotta look for happiness somewhere else.

I bet you we target Reshad Jones of Georgia. And I hope we do. Almost came out as a sophomore, but this year he was ready.

Well if we target a Safety, I hope its one with good coverage and ball skills, in other words a true FS. I'd rather see Goldson at SS.

I'm not a proponent of moving Goldson. Let him continue to grow at FS. Goldson used to be a cornerback -- So was Ronnie Lott. Just because Goldson is a heavy-hitter and is good in run support doesn't mean he should automatically move to SS. I think we keep Goldson at FS and look for a Strong Safety.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
We need a ballhawk at safety, that's Earl Thomas all the way.
Originally posted by Yetiman:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Rolando McClain- The best player on the field on Thursday. Has very few holes in his game, and I would be surprised if he falls past the 15th pick in the draft if he comes out. Just a superb performance. Clearly a better player than Spikes and the lost of other MLB prospects in the draft. Very little bust potential.

Watching McClain was like watching Patrick Willis...amazingly similar.

He's clearly the best MLB in this draft. Just a good, good player. I just don't see him as good value for this team, even though he can offer much to any franchise. The Niners have too many other needs.

Gainers:

Losers:

Static (non-moving):

I'm not a proponent of moving Goldson. Let him continue to grow at FS. Goldson used to be a cornerback -- So was Ronnie Lott. Just because Goldson is a heavy-hitter and is good in run support doesn't mean he should automatically move to SS. I think we keep Goldson at FS and look for a Strong Safety.

I think the argument about SS vs FS is a bit overblown. Ideally you have 2 interchangeable safeties, neither of which are a liability in coverage or run support. We need to find a long term replacement for M. Lewis. I would rather find a guy who excels in coverage first and foremost.
Originally posted by Yetiman:

Rolando McClain- The best player on the field on Thursday. Has very few holes in his game, and I would be surprised if he falls past the 15th pick in the draft if he comes out. Just a superb performance. Clearly a better player than Spikes and the lost of other MLB prospects in the draft. Very little bust potential.

Watching McClain was like watching Patrick Willis...amazingly similar.

He's clearly the best MLB in this draft. Just a good, good player. I just don't see him as good value for this team, even though he can offer much to any franchise. The Niners have too many other needs.

Thing is, I don't look at him as just an ILB, but rather as the green dot guy. Our defense struggled with speed in the secondary, and with having a true leader. We must address both areas. Speaking of the later, Goldson filled in, but something tells me we're still looking for a LB to take on that role. McClain offers this better than any player in recent memory. With the talent on that D, a true leader would push us into the top top tier.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Gainers:

Losers:

Static (non-moving):

Its not just because of Goldson's run stopping skills, its also to upgrade both FS and SS. Would it hurt to have Goldson at SS, he has much better range and ball skills then Lewis. We need a FS back there with some speed, that could play a good center fielder while the SS steps up in the run.

Gainers:

Losers:

Static (non-moving):

Its not just because of Goldson's run stopping skills, its also to upgrade both FS and SS. Would it hurt to have Goldson at SS, he has much better range and ball skills then Lewis. We need a FS back there with some speed, that could play a good center fielder while the SS steps up in the run.

Big thing is, I firmly believe this years SS crop greatly outshines the FS crowd. Even top players like Berry and Earl Thomas are SS coming out of college right now. Granted, they'd both probably be better fits at FS, but my point is that among the players we'll likely be selecting from, we'll have a wider selection of top SS guys who can do just as well in that area. Goldson is fine. I think all this "lets move Goldson" stuff is just .. Well, it's frustrating. People act as if Goldson isn't cut out to be a FS. And that is flat-out absurdity. If we draft a FS, fine. If we draft an SS, Goldson is not moving anywhere and the team apparently feels he's the future there. Notice he did not move when Lewis got hurt. He didn't "slide over" and let Roman play his (Roman's) former FS spot. Roman played SS and they kept Goldson put. My guess is that Goldson has been playing too well for them to want to move him.

I don't think anyone has anything to worry about. McCloughlan insists he targets guys who are "just good football players" meaning.. Very likely, he feels they could excel at either spot. Which was the hope for Reggie Smith -- he can play both FS and SS, but he just hasn't been able to get on the field. I hope the team isn't putting too much stock in him as Lewis' replacement or anything...

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 10, 2010 at 11:47:51 ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Gainers:

Losers:

Static (non-moving):

Big thing is, I firmly believe this years SS crop greatly outshines the FS crowd. Even top players like Berry and Earl Thomas are SS coming out of college right now. Granted, they'd both probably be better fits at FS, but my point is that among the players we'll likely be selecting from, we'll have a wider selection of top SS guys who can do just as well in that area. Goldson is fine. I think all this "lets move Goldson" stuff is just .. Well, it's frustrating. People act as if Goldson isn't cut out to be a FS. And that is flat-out absurdity. If we draft a FS, fine. If we draft an SS, Goldson is not moving anywhere and the team apparently feels he's the future there. Notice he did not move when Lewis got hurt. He didn't "slide over" and let Roman play his (Roman's) former FS spot. Roman played SS and they kept Goldson put. My guess is that Goldson has been playing too well for them to want to move him.

I don't think anyone has anything to worry about. McCloughlan insists he targets guys who are "just good football players" meaning.. Very likely, he feels they could excel at either spot. Which was the hope for Reggie Smith -- he can play both FS and SS, but he just hasn't been able to get on the field. I hope the team isn't putting too much stock in him as Lewis' replacement or anything...

With all due respect OTC, how can you say who will be there and who won't when we pick. And I don't remember the team absolutely sold on Goldson as our future at FS, sure they've been excited about his potential, but nothings set in stone of where he'd be in the defensive backfield. And of course you don't move Goldson over to SS when Goldson is clearly better in coverage than Roman.

My guess with Reggie Smith is that he'll get more involved with this defense once Roman and Hudson are gone. Maybe more of a Special Teamer though.

Gainers:

Losers:

Static (non-moving):

With all due respect OTC, how can you say who will be there and who won't when we pick. And I don't remember the team absolutely sold on Goldson as our future at FS, sure they've been excited about his potential, but nothings set in stone of where he'd be in the defensive backfield. And of course you don't move Goldson over to SS when Goldson is clearly better in coverage than Roman.

My guess with Reggie Smith is that he'll get more involved with this defense once Roman and Hudson are gone. Maybe more of a Special Teamer though.

I'm not pinpointing any distinct area of the draft though. I'm talking about it as a whole. In this whole draft, the guys that we'll have available at this point -- the SS outnumber the FS among 1st-4th round talent. Even if we take their "projected NFL position" (meaning, make Thomas a FS instead of the SS spot he currently plays and Mays SS instead of FS), we have more SS overall than FS.

Among the top FS prospects, you'd have Earl Thomas, Nate Allen, and Robert Johnson. That's only 3. Assuming Berry is available, and adding him, that gives you 4 in total. The dropoff in the rest is substantial with guys like Skinner, Polk and Eskridge who all may go in the 5th or later.

Among the top SS prospects, you have Mays, Jones, Ward, Stuckey, Harry and Kurt Coleman, Rolle and Kyle McCarthy.

I suppose none of this really matters though. However we go, I hope it works out. I'm just very happy with what I've seen from Goldson thus far at FS. Again, I admit I'm not a proponent of moving him, but at the same time I can also admit that I will be happy as long as we keep adding playmakers who help our defense get better, and I'm sure everyone can agree with that, right?

• GORO
  • Veteran
Outstanding job by all of you whom watched those games and have provided anlaysis.

As for Thomas, he is very highly regarded by Mel Kiper and I think he would be a good FS for us. Goldson can move to SS and destroy ball carriers while Thomas plays center field. Also a guy named PATRICK WILLIS usually takes care of running backs.
Our pass defense has talent but needs a play maker like Thomas.

This is going to be the draft that helps our team take the West again
Originally posted by GORO:
Outstanding job by all of you whom watched those games and have provided anlaysis.

As for Thomas, he is very highly regarded by Mel Kiper and I think he would be a good FS for us. Goldson can move to SS and destroy ball carriers while Thomas plays center field. Also a guy named PATRICK WILLIS usually takes care of running backs.
Our pass defense has talent but needs a play maker like Thomas.

This is going to be the draft that helps our team take the West again

Plus, Kurt Warner retiring also pretty much guarantees that we take the West.

Share 49ersWebzone