There are 223 users in the forums

Coin flip means Niners pick #17

• mayo49
  • Veteran
According to Great Blue North we're tied in SOS with Tennessee and will be flipping for #16.

January 4, 2010

(F indicates position to be determined by coin flip; P indicates position still subject to playoff positioning)

Team
W-L
Opp W-L %

1 St. Louis 1-15 .520
2 Detroit 2-14 .523
3 Tampa Bay 3-13 .555
4 Washington 4-12 .492
5 Kansas City 4-12 .516
6 Seattle 5-11 .477
7 Cleveland 5-11 .512
8 Oakland 5-11 .527
9 Buffalo 6-10 .516
10F Jacksonville 7-9 .496
10F Denver (from Chicago) 7-9 .496
12 Miami 7-9 .559
13 San Francisco 8-8 .477
14 Seattle (from Denver) 8-8 .527
15 New York Giants 8-8 .535
16F Tennessee 8-8 .539
16F San Francisco (from Carolina) 8-8 .539
18 Pittsburgh 9-7 .488
19F Atlanta 9-7 .504
20F Houston 9-7 .504
21P New York Jets 9-7 .516
22P Baltimore 9-7 .523
23P Arizona 10-6 .445
24P Cincinnati 10-6 .492
25P New England 10-6 .516
26P Green Bay 11-5 .441
27P Philadelphia 11-5 .484
28P Dallas 11-5 .488
29P Minnesota 12-4 .441
30P San Diego 13-3 .453
31P New Orleans 13-3 .426
32P Indianapolis 14-2 .473

If you have comments or suggestions, e-mail: The editor. The GBN can also be reached by phone at (613) 692-1088; or regular mail at 320 Shadehill Cres., Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; K2J 0L6.

Great Blue North Draft Report Privacy Policy.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Feb 26, 2010 at 8:18 AM ]
Hey, 16 is better than 17, I`ll take it!
[ Edited by MadMartz on Jan 3, 2010 at 9:30 PM ]
nevermind...
[ Edited by DarthNiner on Jan 3, 2010 at 9:31 PM ]
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Why? They beat us head-to-head. Therefore we should pick ahead of them.

Im not sure how the tie breaks work with draft picks. Is it the same as playoff tie breakers? Thats the question.
Originally posted by MadMartz:

Im not sure how the tie breaks work with draft picks. Is it the same as playoff tie breakers? Thats the question.

You flip a coin if the SOS is the same.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

My mistake guys. I thought it was our pick but it was actually Carolina's pick.
I call heads!

don't they also do the flip at the combine?
[ Edited by teeohh on Jan 3, 2010 at 9:35 PM ]

well there you go then, thanx

My mistake guys. I thought it was our pick but it was actually Carolina's pick.

Its ok we knew what you meant. same difference really, its still the Niners pick
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by teeohh:
I call heads!

don't they also do the flip at the combine?

They do it at the League Meetings in March.

• smileyman
  • Info N/A
I thought the Texans made the playoffs with the Bengals loss?
Originally posted by smileyman:
I thought the Texans made the playoffs with the Bengals loss?

they needed a Bengals win to get in, not a loss.
When do they do the coin flip? Isn't there some other tie breaker?

13 and 16 would be great. Better than 17. We need a lucky coin flip.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

after SOS I believe it goes Div record. Then Conf record. Then coin flip.

Bout to check to make sure.

Quote:
Types
# For the non-playoff spots, the first step in breaking a tie for draft position is to compare the strength of schedule from the season that was just completed. To determine the strength of schedule, combine the wins and losses of all of the opponents for each team from the previous season. The team that played opponents with the higher winning percentage is awarded the higher draft position. For example, if the combined win percentage of the teams the 5-11 Kansas City Chiefs played was .550, they would draft ahead of the 5-11 St. Louis Rams, who played opponents with an average win percentage of .495 in this example.
Considerations
# If the strength of schedule does not break the tie, the ties are broken based on the relationship between the teams involved. If they are within the same division, the team with the lower winning percentage in that division is awarded the higher draft position in the draft order. If the teams are located within the same conference, then the tie is broken based on record within the conference, with the team that has the lower conference winning percentage getting the higher draft position.

As an example, let's say the New York Jets and Miami Dolphins have the same record at 10-6 and are both in the AFC East Division. The Dolphins won four of six games against their three opponents in the AFC East and the Jets won just three of six. The Jets would draft ahead of the Dolphins in this situation.

An example of two teams in the same conference but different divisions would be the Cleveland Browns and the Oakland Raiders both finishing the season with a 5-11 record. They are in the American Football Conference, but the Browns are in the AFC North and the Raiders are in the AFC West. For this purpose, let's say the Browns went 3-9 against other AFC teams and the Raiders went 4-8 against their AFC opponents. The Browns would draft before the Raiders in this situation.
Benefits
# Creating these rules for tiebreakers in the NFL Draft has, for the most part, avoided the final tiebreaker. If none of the other steps break the tie for the draft position, the tie is settled through a coin toss. An example of when this tiebreaker occurs is when two or more teams are tied with the same record, and their opponents have the same winning percentage. Along with this, the teams are in opposite conferences, making their divisional and conference records irrelevant for breaking the tie.
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

after SOS I believe it goes Div record. Then Conf record. Then coin flip.

Bout to check to make sure.

Quote:
Types
# For the non-playoff spots, the first step in breaking a tie for draft position is to compare the strength of schedule from the season that was just completed. To determine the strength of schedule, combine the wins and losses of all of the opponents for each team from the previous season. The team that played opponents with the higher winning percentage is awarded the higher draft position. For example, if the combined win percentage of the teams the 5-11 Kansas City Chiefs played was .550, they would draft ahead of the 5-11 St. Louis Rams, who played opponents with an average win percentage of .495 in this example.
Considerations
# If the strength of schedule does not break the tie, the ties are broken based on the relationship between the teams involved. If they are within the same division, the team with the lower winning percentage in that division is awarded the higher draft position in the draft order. If the teams are located within the same conference, then the tie is broken based on record within the conference, with the team that has the lower conference winning percentage getting the higher draft position.

As an example, let's say the New York Jets and Miami Dolphins have the same record at 10-6 and are both in the AFC East Division. The Dolphins won four of six games against their three opponents in the AFC East and the Jets won just three of six. The Jets would draft ahead of the Dolphins in this situation.

An example of two teams in the same conference but different divisions would be the Cleveland Browns and the Oakland Raiders both finishing the season with a 5-11 record. They are in the American Football Conference, but the Browns are in the AFC North and the Raiders are in the AFC West. For this purpose, let's say the Browns went 3-9 against other AFC teams and the Raiders went 4-8 against their AFC opponents. The Browns would draft before the Raiders in this situation.
Benefits
# Creating these rules for tiebreakers in the NFL Draft has, for the most part, avoided the final tiebreaker. If none of the other steps break the tie for the draft position, the tie is settled through a coin toss. An example of when this tiebreaker occurs is when two or more teams are tied with the same record, and their opponents have the same winning percentage. Along with this, the teams are in opposite conferences, making their divisional and conference records irrelevant for breaking the tie.

I mean 13 and 16 is really pretty good if we can land it. We would be picking 2 times in the top 1/2 of the first round. As much as people are complaining on the WZ we would pick twice before some teams even pick at all in the 2nd half of the 1st round. We can always trade one 1st and some other pick(s) to deal up too if there is somebody we really like and absolutely have to get. I'm sure we could get to the #5 - #12 spots if we absolutely need to.
Share 49ersWebzone