LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 282 users in the forums

Coin flip means Niners pick #17

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by krizay:
When do they do the coin flip? Isn't there some other tie breaker?

13 and 16 would be great. Better than 17. We need a lucky coin flip.

after SOS I believe it goes Div record. Then Conf record. Then coin flip.

Bout to check to make sure.

Quote:
Types
# For the non-playoff spots, the first step in breaking a tie for draft position is to compare the strength of schedule from the season that was just completed. To determine the strength of schedule, combine the wins and losses of all of the opponents for each team from the previous season. The team that played opponents with the higher winning percentage is awarded the higher draft position. For example, if the combined win percentage of the teams the 5-11 Kansas City Chiefs played was .550, they would draft ahead of the 5-11 St. Louis Rams, who played opponents with an average win percentage of .495 in this example.
Considerations
# If the strength of schedule does not break the tie, the ties are broken based on the relationship between the teams involved. If they are within the same division, the team with the lower winning percentage in that division is awarded the higher draft position in the draft order. If the teams are located within the same conference, then the tie is broken based on record within the conference, with the team that has the lower conference winning percentage getting the higher draft position.

As an example, let's say the New York Jets and Miami Dolphins have the same record at 10-6 and are both in the AFC East Division. The Dolphins won four of six games against their three opponents in the AFC East and the Jets won just three of six. The Jets would draft ahead of the Dolphins in this situation.

An example of two teams in the same conference but different divisions would be the Cleveland Browns and the Oakland Raiders both finishing the season with a 5-11 record. They are in the American Football Conference, but the Browns are in the AFC North and the Raiders are in the AFC West. For this purpose, let's say the Browns went 3-9 against other AFC teams and the Raiders went 4-8 against their AFC opponents. The Browns would draft before the Raiders in this situation.
Benefits
# Creating these rules for tiebreakers in the NFL Draft has, for the most part, avoided the final tiebreaker. If none of the other steps break the tie for the draft position, the tie is settled through a coin toss. An example of when this tiebreaker occurs is when two or more teams are tied with the same record, and their opponents have the same winning percentage. Along with this, the teams are in opposite conferences, making their divisional and conference records irrelevant for breaking the tie.

I mean 13 and 16 is really pretty good if we can land it. We would be picking 2 times in the top 1/2 of the first round. As much as people are complaining on the WZ we would pick twice before some teams even pick at all in the 2nd half of the 1st round. We can always trade one 1st and some other pick(s) to deal up too if there is somebody we really like and absolutely have to get. I'm sure we could get to the #5 - #12 spots if we absolutely need to.

we could make it to #1 pick if we really needed to. But we dont! I say we stay where we are or maybe even trade back.
  • krizay
  • Veteran

Quote:
Types
# For the non-playoff spots, the first step in breaking a tie for draft position is to compare the strength of schedule from the season that was just completed. To determine the strength of schedule, combine the wins and losses of all of the opponents for each team from the previous season. The team that played opponents with the higher winning percentage is awarded the higher draft position. For example, if the combined win percentage of the teams the 5-11 Kansas City Chiefs played was .550, they would draft ahead of the 5-11 St. Louis Rams, who played opponents with an average win percentage of .495 in this example.
Considerations
# If the strength of schedule does not break the tie, the ties are broken based on the relationship between the teams involved. If they are within the same division, the team with the lower winning percentage in that division is awarded the higher draft position in the draft order. If the teams are located within the same conference, then the tie is broken based on record within the conference, with the team that has the lower conference winning percentage getting the higher draft position.

As an example, let's say the New York Jets and Miami Dolphins have the same record at 10-6 and are both in the AFC East Division. The Dolphins won four of six games against their three opponents in the AFC East and the Jets won just three of six. The Jets would draft ahead of the Dolphins in this situation.

An example of two teams in the same conference but different divisions would be the Cleveland Browns and the Oakland Raiders both finishing the season with a 5-11 record. They are in the American Football Conference, but the Browns are in the AFC North and the Raiders are in the AFC West. For this purpose, let's say the Browns went 3-9 against other AFC teams and the Raiders went 4-8 against their AFC opponents. The Browns would draft before the Raiders in this situation.
Benefits
# Creating these rules for tiebreakers in the NFL Draft has, for the most part, avoided the final tiebreaker. If none of the other steps break the tie for the draft position, the tie is settled through a coin toss. An example of when this tiebreaker occurs is when two or more teams are tied with the same record, and their opponents have the same winning percentage. Along with this, the teams are in opposite conferences, making their divisional and conference records irrelevant for breaking the tie.

I mean 13 and 16 is really pretty good if we can land it. We would be picking 2 times in the top 1/2 of the first round. As much as people are complaining on the WZ we would pick twice before some teams even pick at all in the 2nd half of the 1st round. We can always trade one 1st and some other pick(s) to deal up too if there is somebody we really like and absolutely have to get. I'm sure we could get to the #5 - #12 spots if we absolutely need to.

I just wish Carolina woulda have lost a couple more games to give us a snow ball's chance in hell at Bradford.

Other than getting a highly rated OT with one of our picks. I'm not really all that thrilled with anyone else.

Quote:
Types
Considerations

Benefits

I just wish Carolina woulda have lost a couple more games to give us a snow ball's chance in hell at Bradford.

Other than getting a highly rated OT with one of our picks. I'm not really all that thrilled with anyone else.

I don't see how Bradford is all that good of a pro prospect. He's the classic "system QB." Plus he has some injury history. And the throwing windows aren't as big in the NFL as what he is used to.

There is no way as a rookie he will be any more ready than Alex Smith in his 6th year. And it's not close IMO.

I don't like this QB class at all. 2010 is better with Locker and Mallett.

The best scenario is...

1A) Best OT available.
1B) CJ Spiller.

If Spiller runs well we may have to take him at 1A. Also if there is an OT we really want we could trade up to #5 - #10 to get him if we need to.

We really aren't in that bad of a position this year. I wish Carolina would have lost a few more as well. There were a completely lost team and then they turned it on at the end of the year to completely screw our draft pick when it didn't matter for them anymore...

Quote:
Types
Considerations

Benefits

Not even Berry? As much as you loved Huff im surprised you arent pushing for Berry.
Originally posted by MadMartz:
Hey, 16 is better than 17, I`ll take it!

of course it is & its one of the best looking numbers on a jersey too

I think this happened in 06 when we won and landed the 6th (VD) and they got 7 (Huff). We then alternated with them round by round.

So if we in we pick before them in the 1st but they pick first in the 2nd.
We lose they pick 16th but we pick before them in the 2nd.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I think this happened in 06 when we won and landed the 6th (VD) and they got 7 (Huff). We then alternated with them round by round.

So if we in we pick before them in the 1st but they pick first in the 2nd.
We lose they pick 16th but we pick before them in the 2nd.

they alternate with Carolina
they alternate with Carolina in rounds 2-7. since we own carolinas 1round pick.
[ Edited by SFCH3DDERZ on Jan 4, 2010 at 2:01 AM ]
i think it will be carolina who will flip a coin with Tenn not us
More important then winning a coin toss is to get an able guy in the front office who can properly evaluate our team, comb the FA lists and the draft in order to markedly improve the personnel on the team.

Our OC is a snoozer. Not difficult to come up with a game plan against our offense - now is it?

• krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadMartz:

Quote:
Types
Considerations

Benefits

Not even Berry? As much as you loved Huff im surprised you arent pushing for Berry.

talking about players projected to be there at our picks.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
when is it ?
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
when is it ?

usually during the combines when all parties are present.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by susweel:
when is it ?

usually during the combines when all parties are present.

Parties at the combine...................HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
i think i heard somewhere. that it will be at the annual owners meetings in march.
Share 49ersWebzone