LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

Mr. McCluster in the 2nd...more like first now.

Originally posted by MadMartz:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by GoFD74:
^^ In all fairness, the best special teamer in the NFL right now (Josh Cribbs) didn't return kicks or punts in his college career, but anyone who saw him run could tell that he was dangerous with the ball in his hands.

McCluster hasn't done much returning of kicks or punts at Ole' Miss, but I'd bet good money that whoever drafts him will immediately give him one or both jobs.

I agree with this. Guy runs with good vision and is obviously quick with the ball in his hands. They probably didn't have him on special teams because they needed him to run the ball.

With Frank Gore at running back, I'd feel pretty good letting McCluster returning for us.

But what if he cant do it? Why take a chance is my stance! There are much better return men to be drafted.

Drafting isn't an exact science. Just because a guy has been returning in college doesn't mean he'll be a great return guy.

I don't care who we take but we badly need a return guy. McCluster also offers a guy who can be a threat in the running game or the passing game. So if you're going to take a return man you may as well get a guy who can help your offense or defense. McCluster can help the offense(same reason people are blowing their wad over Spiller)

I also don't want him in the 2nd round I think that's way too early.

And drafting a guy who doesnt return kicks in cillege almost certainly means he wont be a great return guy.

I assumed I didn't need to state the obvious...

I guess in your case I'll need to make the exception next time

And to your luxury crap...get out of here with that. You want luxury picks? Check the CJ Spiller thread. Drafting Spiller in the first round there's a friggin luxury for you.

While you're in that thread you'll also see me saying we should grab McCluster in the 3rd way before the game today.
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
LOL. The kid is an explosive KR/PR and is faster than Sproles. Ole Miss doesn't use him much in that aspect cause of his importance to thier every down offense. He is explosive which is something we need in the return game and on offense. Thier is no arguement to his abilities and durability is not an issue he had 32 carries today. Come draft time he will be a second rounder. I called the rise of Raji last year and I'm calling the rise of McCluster this year.

Ok scout!

And you are? That's what people do in the draft forum...speculate on how prospects will play in the NFL.
LOL. The kid is an explosive KR/PR and is faster than Sproles. Ole Miss doesn't use him much in that aspect cause of his importance to thier every down offense. He is explosive which is something we need in the return game and on offense. Thier is no arguement to his abilities and durability is not an issue he had 32 carries today. Come draft time he will be a second rounder. I called the rise of Raji last year and I'm calling the rise of McCluster this year.

Ok scout!

Not a scout but I do know he is explosive and I've been watching him all year. I did call the rise of Raji on this board last year and McCluster is my prediction for the big riser this year.
We have Gore, Crabtree and Davis. How many weapons do you think an offense needs to be successful? We have the #1 triple threat in the NFL IMHO.

Uh, there are 5 eligible, so you want 5 or more weapons. The reason the Walsh teams were so good was exactly because they had 5+ weapons. All our WR's are possession types, we definitely need a game-breaking speedy WR.
Originally posted by maxsmart:
We have Gore, Crabtree and Davis. How many weapons do you think an offense needs to be successful? We have the #1 triple threat in the NFL IMHO.

Uh, there are 5 eligible, so you want 5 or more weapons. The reason the Walsh teams were so good was exactly because they had 5+ weapons. All our WR's are possession types, we definitely need a game-breaking speedy WR.

Thing about McCluster is he cal line up at RB and WR atleast 7-10 plays a game.

Ok scout!

And you are? That's what people do in the draft forum...speculate on how prospects will play in the NFL.

Yep, so dont get butt hurt when people dont think highly of the prospects you like!

Ok scout!

Yep, so dont get butt hurt when people dont think highly of the prospects you like!

Nobody is butt hurt...if you're going to call people out expect it right back. You're no more a scout than he is.

Ok scout!

Nobody is butt hurt...if you're going to call people out expect it right back. You're no more a scout than he is.

I didnt call anyone out, I stated the guy isnt a proven returner which is fact. All i hear back is a bunch of over inflated opinions. Even scouts bring facts to the table, as I did and he did not!

Ok scout!

I didnt call anyone out, I stated the guy isnt a proven returner which is fact. All i hear back is a bunch of over inflated opinions. Even scouts bring facts to the table, as I did and he did not!

Fair enough but your comment made you sound kinda pompous. Hell it's not like scouts are any better at predicting who will be great and who will suck than the rest of us.

Sometimes it's all about luck.

He did kind of explain why he thinks McCluster can do the job. Returning kicks/punts is similar to what you have to do as a running back anyways. You pretty much find your hole and go. Dexter has very good speed, he's patient and actually runs pretty tough given his size.

Just because he didn't get a chance to return much at Miss doesn't mean he can't do it. He's done it before and I'm sure if he wasn't a vital part of their offense they'd have him do it some more.

I don't think he's a luxury pick at all...but I wouldn't draft him before the 3rd round. The kid would provide a good compliment to Gore and Coffee with his speed. He's also pretty good out of the backfield so he could make things happen with screen passes. Or even go out and lineup at slot receiver.

Are there other guys available who could help in the return game? Sure. I'm not one of those people who has to have a certain prospect. But if you watch the guy play you can see he has the makings of a good return man.

I see him as a smaller/faster version of Kevin Faulk - who is very underrated.

Ok scout!

Fact is write down that I called him in the second!

McCluster is not like Harvin due to his small size and lack of physicality. Harvin is three inches taller, 20 pounds more and much strong with great muscle definition. Harvin is both a burner, yet can still impose his will on defenses with a combination great moves and strength. Although McCluster has the same gamebreaking speed, he has less value as both an unproven return man, and average (at best) reciever without route running, great hands, or great awareness. McCluster is good, but the 3rd round is where he belongs.

As well, although we need more weapons, I think that CJ Spiller, Gilyard, or Shipley would be a better fit.
Originally posted by GoldenGateFan:
McCluster is not like Harvin due to his small size and lack of physicality. Harvin is three inches taller, 20 pounds more and much strong with great muscle definition. Harvin is both a burner, yet can still impose his will on defenses with a combination great moves and strength. Although McCluster has the same gamebreaking speed, he has less value as both an unproven return man, and average (at best) reciever without route running, great hands, or great awareness. McCluster is good, but the 3rd round is where he belongs.

As well, although we need more weapons, I think that CJ Spiller, Gilyard, or Shipley would be a better fit.

LOL. Maybe you should watch some film on this kid.

He can pass, block and run. He ran all over LSU in that game. LOL. You guys should watch the film before you speak. People did this last year with me on Raji and we all watched were Raji wen't. McCluster is a baller. He will go in the 2nd, possibly the first. He has had 40 receptions or better the last 2 years. Kid can do it all.
[ Edited by 49wyztoscore on Jan 3, 2010 at 12:03 AM ]
Originally posted by GoldenGateFan:

LOL. Maybe you should watch some film on this kid.

He can pass, block and run. He ran all over LSU in that game. LOL. You guys should watch the film before you speak. People did this last year with me on Raji and we all watched were Raji wen't. McCluster is a baller. He will go in the 2nd, possibly the first. He has had 40 receptions or better the last 2 years. Kid can do it all.

Id love to see him try and pick up a blitz in the NFL.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
If he runs a 4.3 or better in the combine, then teams will be jumping all over him in the first or second round. I see a lot of comparisons being made, but if he runs a sub 4.3 I would compare him to Chris Johnson which would almost guarantee him a 1st round pick.
[ Edited by obx49 on Jan 3, 2010 at 8:13 AM ]
The only thing that concerns me is that I'm not sure if he's ever returned punts, even though I'm sure he could learn. I would absolutely take him in the second round.
Share 49ersWebzone