There are 202 users in the forums

Geek's Final Mock Plan for 2009

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Note: CBA does NOT get renewed.

Resign -

Aubrayo Franklin - NT - 1 year deal (franchise)

Barry Sims - OT - 3 year deal

Tony Pashos - OT - 1 year deal

Walt Harris - CB - 1 year deal

Matt Wilhem - LB - 2 year deal

Free Agency -

Stephen Neal - OG - 5 year deal
*Goodbye David Baas, hello Stephen Neal. We'll pay a pretty penny for Neal, but this could be the Justin Smiley type signing that the Dolphins made in order to get into the playoffs.

Reggie Bush - RB - 3 year deal
*Why Reggie Bush? He can return kicks and punts, he provides speed at the position, and he can catch well. Coffee as a "power bacK', we'll have a trio of young and promising players in our backfield. I don't typically buy into the rumors this early in the season, but Bush has been a bust. This is Brees's team now.

NFL Draft -

R1: Russell Okung - OT - Oklahoma State
*With the continued offensive problems the Panthers are having, I think they finish with a worse record compared to teams like the Seahawks. Okung is the best available OT in the draft, and could easily play at LT or RT in the NFL level. With QBs on the rise (Locker, Clausen) and a defensive top heavy first round draft (Suh, Berry, McCoy, etc), Okung could surely fall to the 6-8th spot.

R1: Brandon Graham - DE/LB - Michigan
*While Parys Haralson have been strong in run support this season, he has lacked the pass rushing skills that he showed before earning the contract extension. Could we trade down a few spots and select Hughes? Sure, but we are in a position to draft supreme quality over good quantity. Graham is a much better pro prospect than Hughes.

R2: Terrence Cody - NT - Alabama
*I know...WTF are you talking about GEEK is your reaction right now. Will Cody slip this far? Well, if McCoy declares, there will be about 3-4 DTs ahead of Cody by most analysts perspectives. Just like Alan Branch, I think Cody does slip into the second round. This isn't a pick that will see results immediately. He will eventually replace Franklin at NT. Chad Reuter of NFLDraftScout doesn't have Cody listed in his most recent mock (12/3).

R3: Danario Alexander - WR - Missouri
*If Alexander runs a 4.58-4.6 40 time, I expect him to be available in the 3rd round. He reminds me of Sidney Rice/Marques Colston type WR with great physical dimensions and solid pass catching ability. We lack size at the WR position, and since our top 2 QBs don't have the best accuracy, I think Alexander could develop into a nice 2nd or 3rd WR.

R4: Kurt Coleman - S - Ohio State
*Selected first team All-Big Ten recently. Coleman has playmaking ability and good tackling skills. The only downfall is his height - a bit on the shorter side for a safety.

R5: Chris Hawkins - CB - LSU
*I could see Hawkins turn to a T. Brown type pick. Hawkins isn't anything special, but an all around good quality corner.

R6: Jimmy Graham - TE - Miami
*Excellent dimensions and physical ability. At height of 6-8, he creates drastic mismatches for any defense. Needs to develop blocking ability to become a true TE in the NFL. Former basketball player that reminds people of Antonio Gates.

R7: Bill Stull - QB - Pittsburgh
*Late round developmental pick.

Depth Chart -

QB: Smith/Hill/Davis PS: Stull*
RB: Gore/Bush*/Coffee
FB: Norris/Robinson
TE: Davis/Walker/Graham*

WR: Crabtree/Morgan
WR: Jones/Hill
WR: Alexander*

LT: Staley/Sims
LG: Neal*/Wragge
OC: Heitmann/Wallace
RG: Rachal/Snyder
RT: Okung*/Pashos

LE: Smith/McDonald
NT: Franklin/Cody*
RE: Sopoaga/Balmer

OLB: Lawson/Brooks/Briggs
ILB: Willis/McKillop
ILB: Spikes/Wilhem
OLB: Graham*/Haralson

CB: Clements/Brown
CB: Spencer/Harris/Hawkins*
FS: Goldson/Smith
SS: Lewis/Coleman*

[ Edited by GEEK on Dec 3, 2009 at 16:15:18 ]
Your FINAL plan? There is still a bunch of stuff that can happen before the draft:

- 1/3 of the NFL schedule left to play plus playoffs, Super Bowl, and the NFL meetings (i.e. CBA negotiations)
- College conference title games and the entire Bowl Season
- Pre-draft workouts, Pro Days, and the Combine

Don't you think you might want to leave yourself an out?

By the way, I think it is a good plan except for re-signing W. Harris.

[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Dec 3, 2009 at 16:30:39 ]
I like it unless Berry is still available. We need a playmaker on defense bad. I still think S/Oline in the first round. the Panthers are done i c 4-12 or 5-11 for them. So we might be able to get Berry esp with all the teams that need QBS.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Your FINAL plan? There is still a bunch of stuff that can happen before the draft:

- 1/3 of the NFL schedule left to play plus playoffs, Super Bowl, and the NFL meetings (i.e. CBA negotiations)

Final plan for 2009 Holmes.
final, sure, keep telling yourself that GEEK, you know you will get the urge to do another before season is over.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Final plan for 2009 Holmes.

My bad, Geek.
Bush isn't a free agent and NO will probally explore trading him before they cut him.
I don't think I'd resign Harris but they probably will. I hope it's not longer than a 1 year deal though.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Bush isn't a free agent and NO will probally explore trading him before they cut him.

Salary is a bit too high for trading.

Resign -

Free Agency -

*Goodbye David Baas, hello Stephen Neal. We'll pay a pretty penny for Neal, but this could be the Justin Smiley type signing that the Dolphins made in order to get into the playoffs.

*Why Reggie Bush? He can return kicks and punts, he provides speed at the position, and he can catch well. Coffee as a "power bacK', we'll have a trio of young and promising players in our backfield. I don't typically buy into the rumors this early in the season, but Bush has been a bust. This is Brees's team now.

NFL Draft -

*With the continued offensive problems the Panthers are having, I think they finish with a worse record compared to teams like the Seahawks. Okung is the best available OT in the draft, and could easily play at LT or RT in the NFL level. With QBs on the rise (Locker, Clausen) and a defensive top heavy first round draft (Suh, Berry, McCoy, etc), Okung could surely fall to the 6-8th spot.

*While Parys Haralson have been strong in run support this season, he has lacked the pass rushing skills that he showed before earning the contract extension. Could we trade down a few spots and select Hughes? Sure, but we are in a position to draft supreme quality over good quantity. Graham is a much better pro prospect than Hughes.

*I know...WTF are you talking about GEEK is your reaction right now. Will Cody slip this far? Well, if McCoy declares, there will be about 3-4 DTs ahead of Cody by most analysts perspectives. Just like Alan Branch, I think Cody does slip into the second round. This isn't a pick that will see results immediately. He will eventually replace Franklin at NT. Chad Reuter of NFLDraftScout doesn't have Cody listed in his most recent mock (12/3).

*If Alexander runs a 4.58-4.6 40 time, I expect him to be available in the 3rd round. He reminds me of Sidney Rice/Marques Colston type WR with great physical dimensions and solid pass catching ability. We lack size at the WR position, and since our top 2 QBs don't have the best accuracy, I think Alexander could develop into a nice 2nd or 3rd WR.

*Selected first team All-Big Ten recently. Coleman has playmaking ability and good tackling skills. The only downfall is his height - a bit on the shorter side for a safety.

*I could see Hawkins turn to a T. Brown type pick. Hawkins isn't anything special, but an all around good quality corner.

*Excellent dimensions and physical ability. At height of 6-8, he creates drastic mismatches for any defense. Needs to develop blocking ability to become a true TE in the NFL. Former basketball player that reminds people of Antonio Gates.

Depth Chart -

Thanks for stealing some of my picks.

Quick take on the draft:
-Don't know the likelihood of landing Okung, other than it's exceptionally low even at #6 right now.
-Graham is the best pick. (I now have to change my mock to make it different.)
-If Cody made it to us great, but many factors will determine his positioning.
-Coleman is a good pick. I intended to use him in later mocks, but I have another name in mind at the current time.

Other notes:
-I can see us releasing Jones like we did with Lelie. Just not a good signing. If we kept him, I bet he'd get stuck on the bench. Picking up Danario is something I wouldn't oppose, but there might be a better wide-out available.

Resign -

Free Agency -

NFL Draft -

Depth Chart -

Your draft is not bad, but (no offense) your FA "resignings" just plain suck. Why do we need to resign a 36 year old CB? Why do we really need to resign Wilhem? Because he had 1 good half? You can't really believe we can't find a better younger replacement, could you? I also think Neal (NE Guard) is overrated. I've seen alot of Patriots games, and he is the weakest link on that line. He gets beat OFTEN. If you are going to fantasize about an offseason, get a better guard. Also, add some speed to our secondary as well.

But other than my nitpickings, nice job.

[ Edited by kronik on Dec 3, 2009 at 22:22:25 ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Resign -

Free Agency -

NFL Draft -

Depth Chart -

Thanks for stealing some of my picks.

Quick take on the draft:
-Don't know the likelihood of landing Okung, other than it's exceptionally low even at #6 right now.
-Graham is the best pick. (I now have to change my mock to make it different.)
-If Cody made it to us great, but many factors will determine his positioning.
-Coleman is a good pick. I intended to use him in later mocks, but I have another name in mind at the current time.

Other notes:
-I can see us releasing Jones like we did with Lelie. Just not a good signing. If we kept him, I bet he'd get stuck on the bench. Picking up Danario is something I wouldn't oppose, but there might be a better wide-out available.

Great minds think alike, right?

The likely outcome is that we don't get Okung. But if Crabtree could fall to us, anything is possible.

I do think Jones may get cut. At the same time, he's gotten a raw deal. I think the 49ers staff will see how he looks in training camp before making a decision.

If Jones gets cut, realistically only 3 WRs come back. Quite a bit of turnover for Smith who needs to develop chemistry with all the players.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kronik:

Resign -

Free Agency -

NFL Draft -

Depth Chart -

Your draft is not bad, but (no offense) your FA "resignings" just plain suck. Why do we need to resign a 36 year old CB? Why do we really need to resign Wilhem? Because he had 1 good half? You can't really believe we can't find a better younger replacement, could you? I also think Neal (NE Guard) is overrated. I've seen alot of Patriots games, and he is the weakest link on that line. He gets beat OFTEN. If you are going to fantasize about an offseason, get a better guard. Also, add some speed to our secondary as well.

But other than my nitpickings, nice job.

Statistically speaking, Neal has been one of the best OGs in the league. I've seen a few Patriots games myself, and he has looked relatively fine. Not exactly sure why you think he's the weakest link.

The resignings are just 1 year deals as well - easily cuttable if we get get an upgrade. Besides, I see McKillop as being the main backup ILB in 2010. Whilem just replaces Ulbrich.

But I get what you are saying. If the CBA isn't renewed (and I am assuming in this mock that it's not), then its going to be slim pickings out there in free agency.
If it really happens this way I imagine the zone will burst! With happiness.

One point. Like the OT but is one OG enough? Baas is probably history and right now Rachal is unconvincing. I don't know that we really need another TE so, whilst I would prefer to take one earlier, if all else fails I would take a guard in the 6th, to develop and hopefully push Rachal

but great work

Resign -

Free Agency -

NFL Draft -

Depth Chart -

Im sorry but I have to disagree on this one... Graham may have a bit more size, but Hughes is much more explosive off the line, better nose for the ball, and more of a motor to get to the ball carrier

These obviously dont say much, but you can make some comparisons based on the physical tools that each bring to the table from these videos:

Hughes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BWIcKqReGk - Beginning to 3:00min in (check out the rush he puts on @ 2:00min)

Graham: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYkgFvVyZ7w&feature=related

[ Edited by abowers1984 on Dec 4, 2009 at 01:25:29 ]
Share 49ersWebzone