LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 302 users in the forums

With Alex Smith playing like a 1st-round draft pick, is a QB pick still possible

With Alex Smith playing like a 1st-round draft pick, is a QB pick still possible

Originally posted by Nuns:
I think you should take a flyer on a mid-late QB nearly every year, and always be developing a project.

That being said, Hill is a fine backup QB at a reasonable price. I'd try to trade him before I cut him. Get a late round pick with which you can select a project at qb:)

Before we pick up a project qb we need to make our minds up about the one we have. Either Nate has enough potential to stick with, in which case we don't need and have no room for another. Or he doesn't in which case he goes and we try again.

I agree you should always be developing a young qb
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Last week was the 1st game were Alex looked like a legitimate NFL quarterback.

That's 1 out of 34 games. Phil Simms? He still isn't on Tim Couch's level.

I'm not trying to be a Smith hater here all I'm saying is let him finish the season before we cut ties with him or annoint him next year's starter. I still have to see alot more before I give him a 6th year.

I agree but looking at this crop of QB's coming out there is no real answer in this years draft.

I'm not trying to be a Smith hater here all I'm saying is let him finish the season before we cut ties with him or annoint him next year's starter. I still have to see alot more before I give him a 6th year.

Can u show us/explain how each of the 33 games before the last game was not NFL legitimate? Give us some stats if u wish. Thanks.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Last year I REALLY wanted the Niners to draft a QB as I knew Hill was garbage and didnt think Alex Smith would ever come back. Now, I have changed my mind. I do think Smith can be effective if the Niners can simply protect him.

WAY too many holes right now to waste draft picks on a QB. As many have said... OL, OLB, CB, and S need to be addressed. If we can get those filled in the next draft and free agency then the Niners can really get to the next level.

Now.. is Smith lays an egg in the next 5 weeks and shows he simply cant be the QB of the future this could change. Lets hope that doesnt happen.

precisely..couldn't have summarized it better.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Last year I REALLY wanted the Niners to draft a QB as I knew Hill was garbage and didnt think Alex Smith would ever come back. Now, I have changed my mind. I do think Smith can be effective if the Niners can simply protect him.

WAY too many holes right now to waste draft picks on a QB. As many have said... OL, OLB, CB, and S need to be addressed. If we can get those filled in the next draft and free agency then the Niners can really get to the next level.

Now.. is Smith lays an egg in the next 5 weeks and shows he simply cant be the QB of the future this could change. Lets hope that doesnt happen.

As someone who really didn't care for Smith before this season, I have to agree with you on the bolded.
Trying to set a record for threads started?
I really hope Smith suceeds but I think its still a little too early. If he continues to get better then I wouldn't want to draft a QB.
Nothing is off the table really. Well TE in the first round is highly unlikely.

However if the niners brass is on the clock and they see a QB as by far away the BPA the will take him.

I'm an Alex Smith fan but if you can get a guy you think can be GREAT. You take him. You may not always be right but you have to take that chance.
No QB needed...
Originally posted by kronik:

Can u show us/explain how each of the 33 games before the last game was not NFL legitimate? Give us some stats if u wish. Thanks.

Or you could of gave an example yourself why I was wrong. See not a single game came to the top of your head. Here's a stat Alex has never had a 300 yard game. Never.

I don't want to sound like an Alex hater here. I'm just not giving Alex a decade to prove himself because we're too scared to draft another QB. If he doesn't show us life on a consisant basis this year we should be done with him.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Dec 3, 2009 at 8:03 AM ]

Originally posted by lamontb:

I agree but looking at this crop of QB's coming out there is no real answer in this years draft.

I'm pretty high on Ryan Mallett. If he stayed his entire college career he's the 1st pick, and it wouldn't even be close. I have no problem taking him with the 1st pick and sitting him a year or two. His potential is unmatched.
I don't think we can pass on a top QB prospect (provided one even falls to us) just because Alex looks like an average-to-slightly-below-average NFL QB when running the spread.

We can take a QB with the first of our 1st round picks and still snag top prospects at two of the following three positions with our next two picks - RT, OG, & Pass Rusher. Add FA to that and we can absolutely afford to take a QB this year if you want to.

The question is whether or not you want to. This draft may offer much better value at other positions, but if the BPA is a QB than we'd be fools not to take him.
Originally posted by Overkill:
I don't think we can pass on a top QB prospect (provided one even falls to us) just because Alex looks like an average-to-slightly-below-average NFL QB when running the spread.

We can take a QB with the first of our 1st round picks and still snag top prospects at two of the following three positions with our next two picks - RT, OG, & Pass Rusher. Add FA to that and we can absolutely afford to take a QB this year if you want to.

The question is whether or not you want to. This draft may offer much better value at other positions, but if the BPA is a QB than we'd be fools not to take him.

the stats show that he is a top 10 QB when running the spread i believe he is 7th
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Overkill:

the stats show that he is a top 10 QB when running the spread i believe he is 7th

Misleading stats there. 2/3 of those numbers came when we trying to come back from behind from double digits.
OLINE

OLINE

OLINE!
Share 49ersWebzone