LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 290 users in the forums

With Alex Smith playing like a 1st-round draft pick, is a QB pick still possible

With Alex Smith playing like a 1st-round draft pick, is a QB pick still possible

I dont see where we need to draft a QB I thought we did that last year. I remember reading in SI last year that Nate Davis was going to go second round at worst than the rumor mill started about his dislexia and he scored low on that stupid test so no we do not and will not need a QB we have two very capable QB's one of which has proved he can run a spread offense in the pros the other looked good in the pre-season against third string talent and hasnt proven anything yet but he has all the tools.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by kronik:
Last week was the 1st game were Alex looked like a legitimate NFL quarterback.

That's 1 out of 34 games. Phil Simms? He still isn't on Tim Couch's level.

I'm not trying to be a Smith hater here all I'm saying is let him finish the season before we cut ties with him or annoint him next year's starter. I still have to see alot more before I give him a 6th year.

Can u show us/explain how each of the 33 games before the last game was not NFL legitimate? Give us some stats if u wish. Thanks.

Or you could of gave an example yourself why I was wrong. See not a single game came to the top of your head. Here's a stat Alex has never had a 300 yard game. Never.

I don't want to sound like an Alex hater here. I'm just not giving Alex a decade to prove himself because we're too scared to draft another QB. If he doesn't show us life on a consisant basis this year we should be done with him.

he cou;dve easily got 300yds last game but why do we need to pass if we are up by so much? I think he will get his 300yd game against the cardinals because that game will be close so we will continue to pass
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Overkill:
I don't think we can pass on a top QB prospect (provided one even falls to us) just because Alex looks like an average-to-slightly-below-average NFL QB when running the spread.

We can take a QB with the first of our 1st round picks and still snag top prospects at two of the following three positions with our next two picks - RT, OG, & Pass Rusher. Add FA to that and we can absolutely afford to take a QB this year if you want to.

The question is whether or not you want to. This draft may offer much better value at other positions, but if the BPA is a QB than we'd be fools not to take him.

the stats show that he is a top 10 QB when running the spread i believe he is 7th

Misleading stats there. 2/3 of those numbers came when we trying to come back from behind from double digits.

Not to mention you are essentially cherry picking Alex's best plays and comparing it to entire season's worth of plays for the other QB's in this league. Hardly an apples to apples comparison imo.

Look, I'm not interested in being dragged into a debate on the semantics of how "good" or "average" Alex Smith is. The bottomline is that he has only shown potential when the entire offense caters to him. Teams like the Colts & Pats spread things out because they have future HOF QB's & WR's. We do it because Alex can't function if we don't. HUGE difference.

There are plenty of QB's out there that can produce in a spread offense. That isn't exactly a rare skill set. And its currently Alex's only skill set.

Maybe Alex grows into a more complete QB in the future, but right now he isn't one. And you have to draft based on where he's at right now. Not drafting a player at a position of need because you have a 5th year guy on the roster that "might" pull it all together next year is foolish imo.

I like Alex personally and I'm excited when he does well. But I am a 49er fan first and an Alex fan second. The team needs to do what's in its best interest, not what feels good.

As I said earlier, the only real question is whether you believe there is a potential franchise QB in this draft. If you do, and he's available, than you take him. If you don't like this year's crop, than you don't. Alex Smith shouldn't dictate your decision. At least not at this point.
Its funny how average Brady looked against the Saints when he was faced with the same pressure that Smith has faced his entire carreer. Lets not forget Brady has much better wrs. The whole key to this entire debate is and always has been the oline or lack there of. With a better oline Smith will be a better qb watch any of the so called great qbs on sunday and let me know how much time they have to throw the ball compared to any niners qb. O stinkin line is the answer.
Originally posted by Izyniner:
Its funny how average Brady looked against the Saints when he was faced with the same pressure that Smith has faced his entire carreer. Lets not forget Brady has much better wrs. The whole key to this entire debate is and always has been the oline or lack there of. With a better oline Smith will be a better qb watch any of the so called great qbs on sunday and let me know how much time they have to throw the ball compared to any niners qb. O stinkin line is the answer.

The Patriots line is severly overrated. After Brady got hurt last year they gave up 46 sacks last season. The Colts line is below average as well. The reason why Tom's line and Peyton's line looks so good is because they have a QB who can recognize and pick up apart defenses at will. If a team consisantly gets to them with a four man front you see them struggling.

Even with a better line Alex still isn't good to be able to pick apart defenses. He just doesn't have the awareness or the accuracy to consisantly do it. Hence why we have to put him in the Shotgun every play just to make him look like an average QB.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Dec 5, 2009 at 11:38:32 ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Izyniner:

The Patriots line is severly overrated. After Brady got hurt last year they gave up 46 sacks last season. The Colts line is below average as well. The reason why Tom's line and Peyton's line looks so good is because they have a QB who can recognize and pick up apart defenses at will. When a team consisantly gets to them with a front man front you see them struggling.

Even with a better line Alex still isn't good to be able to pick apart defenses. He just doesn't have the awareness or the accuracy to consisantly do it. Hence why we have to put him in the Shotgun every play just to make him look like an average QB.

I agree with this, but not because I'm not a real fan of Alex Smith, but it seems he really struggles dropping back and going through his progressions.
Assuming that A. Smith does well in our last few games and is the starting QB by merit, would we assume that SF will not draft a QB in the first 3 rounds? If they will not draft a QB in the first 3 roundsthen who would we select, and how would we rate/rank the remaining players?
Suh
Spiller
Bulaga
G. McCoy
Berry
Okung
D. Bryant
T. Williams
McClain
Haden
Cody
Graham