There are 102 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Which QB do the Niners pursue in the 2010 draft?

• Riot
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Nate Davis looks perfect for a run oriented offense, he has a big accurate arm to get the ball down field, eludes the rush and knows when to throw the ball away. He may or may not develop but his skill set is what we need.

And as a side note I just love watching him play QB, I caught as many Ball St. games as I could and they were a blast.

From what I've read he pretty much carried that team to greatness, would that be an accurate statement?
None, Smith, Hill & Davis are our QBs, The Niners need to pursue OL talent (athletic w/excellent lateral movement and instincts), a pass rusher/OLB, CB & FS to develop.
get clausen
Originally posted by GEEK:
Tony Pike. I want a QB that can make all the throws on the football field.

who would you compare him to in the nfl?
Originally posted by 4089er:
None, Smith, Hill & Davis are our QBs, The Niners need to pursue OL talent (athletic w/excellent lateral movement and instincts), a pass rusher/OLB, CB & FS to develop.

A ridiculous comment. Are you related to any one in the current 49 regime? Cause it sounds and looks alot like what is going on now. Smith is awful. Hill is a career back up and who knows what Davis brings. A solid QB first, then build around him.
[ Edited by jogr49 on Nov 25, 2009 at 3:25 PM ]
ESPN's Mike Sando just posted a discussion he had with Scout Inc's Steve Muench on NFC West teams drafting QBs in 2010. Here's what Steve says on the Niners:

Mike Sando: The 49ers are hoping Alex Smith takes hold of the job. If he does not, they could seemingly use a quarterback to fit with a power-oriented system.

Steve Muench: A guy I think is interesting who was not on the radar much was Bill Stull out of Pitt. One of the things we like about him is they run a pro-style offense. He already has that experience. You can throw around potential as much as you want. A guy like JaMarcus Russell has endless potential. We are not seeing him come close to realizing it. Stull has a much lower ceiling in terms of potential. Has all the skills you need, but he does not have elite arm strength. When you see JaMarcus Russell throw a ball, it is awe-inspiring. But he does not run the offense, make sound adjustments and those things. We feel Stull has steadily improved in all those areas. The way you talk about the 49ers with a power offense, play-action, pro-style, I think he is a perfect fit for that. That is what Pitt does. That is what their offense is now. That would be a very good transition for him. We have him in the early fourth, late third and he could be moving up still.
LINK
if tony pike is there round two we should grab him
Originally posted by Sf49ers220:
if tony pike is there round two we should grab him

Round 2? There are a few more pressing needs like the offensive line, secondary or pass rush. Whatever doesn't get addressed with the two first rounders will be the priority.
none smith is the answer, get eric berry and ol
Originally posted by NewEraNiner:
ESPN's Mike Sando just posted a discussion he had with Scout Inc's Steve Muench on NFC West teams drafting QBs in 2010. Here's what Steve says on the Niners:

Mike Sando: The 49ers are hoping Alex Smith takes hold of the job. If he does not, they could seemingly use a quarterback to fit with a power-oriented system.

Steve Muench: A guy I think is interesting who was not on the radar much was Bill Stull out of Pitt. One of the things we like about him is they run a pro-style offense. He already has that experience. You can throw around potential as much as you want. A guy like JaMarcus Russell has endless potential. We are not seeing him come close to realizing it. Stull has a much lower ceiling in terms of potential. Has all the skills you need, but he does not have elite arm strength. When you see JaMarcus Russell throw a ball, it is awe-inspiring. But he does not run the offense, make sound adjustments and those things. We feel Stull has steadily improved in all those areas. The way you talk about the 49ers with a power offense, play-action, pro-style, I think he is a perfect fit for that. That is what Pitt does. That is what their offense is now. That would be a very good transition for him. We have him in the early fourth, late third and he could be moving up still.
LINK

very interesting, if smith does struggle tho we will probably pick a QB earlier than 3rd/4th, and if he doesnt struggle we probably wont pick a QB next year
Play spread offense and stick with Alex Smith.
Originally posted by 49ersForever:
Originally posted by NewEraNiner:

LINK

very interesting, if smith does struggle tho we will probably pick a QB earlier than 3rd/4th, and if he doesnt struggle we probably wont pick a QB next year

Steve Muench must be an idiot.....Bill Stull is hot garbage.
Originally posted by jogr49:
Originally posted by 4089er:

A ridiculous comment. Are you related to any one in the current 49 regime? Cause it sounds and looks alot like what is going on now. Smith is awful. Hill is a career back up and who knows what Davis brings. A solid QB first, then build around him.

I could begin my post in a similar, insulting way. Try to remember that, aside from the trolls, we are all supporters of the same team.

I think that Smith is starting to show enough to warrant us sticking with him. Obviously work on Davis will continue. Thank heavens the "start Davis" posts have diminished.

But the point is this: we have many needs, OT, OG, OLB, safety, backup rb, kr. OT and passrush are likely to need a high pick regardless, and we need also to keep the decks clear to take an imact player if he falls to us. And, to be frank, this year's qb pool does not look that promising. From where we are likely to draft I dont see us being confident of finding a solid qb. But if we do that we will be confident of missing another prospect in a position we desperately need.