LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

Which QB do the Niners pursue in the 2010 draft?

Watch Lock progress over the next year or so he could very well be the next Elway.
Originally posted by CheapThrill:
Watch Lock progress over the next year or so he could very well be the next Elway.

Would that be the Elway with Terrell Davies or without him?
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
It just seems to me that none of these guys have better ability than Nate Davis. I guess it may be worth a 5th or 6th rd pick on one but I wouldnt use any pick higher than that.

my thoughts exactly.. to me it would be a wasted pick unless someone like bradford drops low
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CheapThrill:

or the QB for Buffalo Edwards? He'll be an Edwards.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Quote:

Sam Bradford - before anyone else. If Berry isn't there, we need to take him, better than what we have now I the roster.
Ryan Mallett - If he declares for the draft.
Greg McElroy - If he declares for the draft.
Dan LeFevour - No higher than the 2nd round.
Tim Hiller - This guy could be the surprise of the draft.

Posted this in another thread, but these are my picks. But I think, if I had the choice between Bradford and Mallet, I would select Mallet.

Aloha Kolohe, I have to disagree with you here. I have watched Mallett all season long (I work at the U); and while he can make all the throws, it must be remembered that this will be his first full season starting (he did not start a full season with Michigan--I believe he played in 6-7 games); and furthermore, and most importantly, he misses badly, really badly at times, on simple throws. At the beginning of the year, Ryan seemed to be an all or nothing QB. In his defense, in the last couple of games you have seen him try to take what the defense gives him, but he still misses on passes that he should not.

Can he make all the throws? Yes. Does he always do so? No. Give him another year with Petrino and watch what will happen.

Pick Clausen or Bradford and forget the rest (Sorry McCoy :( ).
Originally posted by titan:
Originally posted by Thizz415:
Originally posted by titan:
No thank you! USC just has a down year.

what does USC have anything to do with Luck.

Defense is making him look good.

So did Oregon's defense. Man, all those Pac-10 defenses must really like Luck and Gerhart. Apparently they all want to help out those two.....
  • saeniner
  • Info N/A
I don't see any of these guys being any better then A Smith right now, or Nate Davis in the future. If we are gonna invest a pick into a QB, I don't want of these project guys, especially with the precedent of offensive instability from season to season we have established. I want a top tier guy who has the high skill set and off the charts intangibles. However, I dont think that guy is in this draft, if he is he will go before we pick, and we need to address the offensive line as a higher priority anyway. So no thanks.
The problem with drafting a QB from a WINNING College team is that you don't know that the reason that he's successful is because of his supporting casts. You take a perennial top 10 team i.e. Florida, Miami, LSU, Texas, Alabama, USC and you know that they always have a very strong Offensive line. For the most part, they can protect their QB and give them enough time to find receivers.

You don't know how good they really are unless you see them frequently outside their comfort zone. i.e. running for their life BUT still making plays.

Lot's of NFL QB's today DIDN'T come from big named top ten football colleges. i.e: Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, Phillip Rivers, Drew Brees, Kurt Warner, Bret Farve ...etc.
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Nov 18, 2009 at 12:35 AM ]
Originally posted by Riot:
Both Tony Pike and Case Keenum are products of the offenses they run - Pike with the basic spread-to-pass and Keenum with Houston's full-on Air Raid. Especially in Houston's case, these offenses are what allowed quarterbacks like David Klingler and the string of Texas Tech quarterbacks to succeed (minus Taylor Potts).

The same could be said of guys like Sam Bradford and Colt McCoy, but those guys are talents that could succeed in any system and in Bradford's case it's obvious the Oklahoma offense doesn't run nearly as well without him.

Snead's quick decline into mediocrity makes him an interesting prospect - if he slipped into the later rounds he could be a project with more potential than Nate Davis.

I agree with this...
None Ill keep Davis. I really think we found a diamond in the rough. He made that school a top 25 team. Him, no one else. Look how terrible they are now. Kid has a cannon.

Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
None Ill keep Davis. I really think we found a diamond in the rough. He made that school a top 25 team. Him, no one else. Look how terrible they are now. Kid has a cannon.

Even if you believe Nate is the real deal what's wrong with competition, and I don't buy the wasted pick, other needs argument. We're talking about mid round picks. Once you hit round 3 chances are you're drafting a life time backup or a project.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Nov 20, 2009 at 7:18 AM ]
  • Kush_Man16
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Jake Locker.

i think locker would be great on the niners and his athleticism behind our oline would definatly benfit us
Andrew Luck looks very good & displays alot of talent, but what about Zack Collaros from Cincinnati, since he's replaced Tony Pike. He's been doing great, too.
Nate Davis looks perfect for a run oriented offense, he has a big accurate arm to get the ball down field, eludes the rush and knows when to throw the ball away. He may or may not develop but his skill set is what we need.

And as a side note I just love watching him play QB, I caught as many Ball St. games as I could and they were a blast.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Tony Pike. I want a QB that can make all the throws on the football field.
Share 49ersWebzone