There are 255 users in the forums

Which QB do the Niners pursue in the 2010 draft?

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Do the QBs in this class have higher ceilings than Nate Davis (potential 2nd round pick a year ago)?

First round? Sure.

After that? Probably on the same level.

I would much rather see Nate Davis compete with Alex Smith next season for the starting gig.

Let's first address the main problems of this team before shoving another QB behind a horrendous offensive line and limited speed with our offensive unit.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Do the QBs in this class have higher ceilings than Nate Davis (potential 2nd round pick a year ago)?

First round? Sure.

After that? Probably on the same level.

I would much rather see Nate Davis compete with Alex Smith next season for the starting gig.

Let's first address the main problems of this team before shoving another QB behind a horrendous offensive line and limited speed with our offensive unit.

We're talking about 3rd-5th round prospects right here. We have 3 selections in the draft and all of FA before we even get to this point. You can bet the bank that the offensive line will be addressed within the 1st 2 picks. Rush linebacker will also be taken care by the end of the 2nd round. Team speed is a different can of worms.

Anyway you look at it there's no excuse not to take a QB at any point in this draft should they grade high enough. It's time to leave the fantasy world that Alex may someday pan out.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Nov 14, 2009 at 00:01:50 ]
Jake Locker.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Dan LeFevour
Frank Gore is our best offensive player. He doesn't have time for a rookie QB to develop. If we're going to make a run at a championship, I believe he has to be a big part of it. He's not old, but he doesn't have time for a rookie to come in a take 3 or 4 years to mature. By then, it's too late. It's true that good running backs are a dime a dozen, but Frank Gore is not a dime-a-dozen running back. He is very special, and we have to take advantage of this window of opportunity.

The 49ers don't have a lot of unanswered questions. We're a couple of players away from being a super bowl contender.

I'd like to see the team land an established vet QB in FA...

Then, either through FA or draft depending on what's available and when, I'd like to see us add:

1. pass rusher who can play OLB in the 3-4.
2. tackle
3. guard
4. safety
5. another guard
Originally posted by mississippi_sam:
Frank Gore is our best offensive player. He doesn't have time for a rookie QB to develop. If we're going to make a run at a championship, I believe he has to be a big part of it. He's not old, but he doesn't have time for a rookie to come in a take 3 or 4 years to mature. By then, it's too late. It's true that good running backs are a dime a dozen, but Frank Gore is not a dime-a-dozen running back. He is very special, and we have to take advantage of this window of opportunity.

The 49ers don't have a lot of unanswered questions. We're a couple of players away from being a super bowl contender.

I'd like to see the team land an established vet QB in FA...

Then, either through FA or draft depending on what's available and when, I'd like to see us add:

1. pass rusher who can play OLB in the 3-4.
2. tackle
3. guard
4. safety
5. another guard

With a good defense you can win early with a young QB. Ala Baltimore, and Pittsburgh.

Best case scenario with an established vet is Marc Bulger. Super Bowl
I've always argued that an average QB can look like Montana if you give him a line that will hold the defense back for 5+ seconds. If we grab a QB right now with this line, he's going to bust as badly unless he's already got a 2.3 second drop back and release time.

Doubt it.

Obviously, I'd prefer we draft OL than a QB at this point with our top 2 picks.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Quote:

Sam Bradford - before anyone else. If Berry isn't there, we need to take him, better than what we have now I the roster.
Ryan Mallett - If he declares for the draft.
Greg McElroy - If he declares for the draft.
Dan LeFevour - No higher than the 2nd round.
Tim Hiller - This guy could be the surprise of the draft.

Posted this in another thread, but these are my picks. But I think, if I had the choice between Bradford and Mallet, I would select Mallet.

Bradford was going to be a clear first round pick before his shoulder injury. I wonder how far he'll drop? I don't follow the talent level on the college ranks as closely as others. I just hear various reports that the upcoming draft will be "QB rich."

That said -- can Bradford make it back from surgery to start next year? Or do injuries like this normally take a full two seasons to heal? That seemed to be the case with Alex Smith.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
pass. we already grabbed one last draft.

I liked what I saw in preseason from Davis, but is he really the answer?

There's no way to know that until he actually gets a chance to play in the regular season. The same could be said for any QB we draft in the future.

You don't stop looking at QBs just because you might have an answer. Hell even if you have a franchise QB you still want to look at mid round QB's ala NE, Philly.

I find it absolutely appalling that the franchise that once had the Joe Montana/ Steve Yound qb debate is now perfectly willing to settle for the Alex Smith/ Nate Davis (nothing against Nate though) QB debate.

Our organization is never going to stop looking at QBs, any organization that would is insane.

The days of Montana/Young are over, but no one is settling for anything. To think that we are is naive at best.

I'm talking about the fan base, and so far they're proving my point. Pretty much everyone that's posted in this thread would rather us draft Bear Pascoe in the 5th than take a QB.

So if we don't address the QB thru the draft that leaves us with Davis, Hill/ Smith or both, and possibly this year's JT O'Sullivan.

This thread has 14 posts in it so far, half of them by you and I. Seems to me like not quite enough of a representative sample size. I, BTW, am in favor of drafting a QB, just not in the first two rounds unless it's Clausen or Locker.

Locker should return for his senior year. He would greatly benefit from another year under Sarkisian.

Are you crazy, he should leave this year. Sam Bradford ring a bell. You have to strike while the iron is hot.
None, we just drafted a QB last year. maybe we should see how he pans out first.

Originally posted by Dino:
Dan LeFevour

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Quote:

Sam Bradford - before anyone else. If Berry isn't there, we need to take him, better than what we have now I the roster.
Ryan Mallett - If he declares for the draft.
Greg McElroy - If he declares for the draft.
Dan LeFevour - No higher than the 2nd round.
Tim Hiller - This guy could be the surprise of the draft.

Posted this in another thread, but these are my picks. But I think, if I had the choice between Bradford and Mallet, I would select Mallet.

Bradford was going to be a clear first round pick before his shoulder injury. I wonder how far he'll drop? I don't follow the talent level on the college ranks as closely as others. I just hear various reports that the upcoming draft will be "QB rich."

That said -- can Bradford make it back from surgery to start next year? Or do injuries like this normally take a full two seasons to heal? That seemed to be the case with Alex Smith.

If we selected Bradford, he would most likely sit for the first year. I would actually give him more time to heal and get comfortable under center.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by MadMartz:
None, we just drafted a QB last year. maybe we should see how he pans out first.

I would NOT settle on Davis by any means. I would still draft a QB in the first 3 rounds.

I would NOT settle on Davis by any means. I would still draft a QB in the first 3 rounds.

This team has holes o plenty. You cant just go drafting QBs every year and expect that to pay off. Just because Davis was drafted back in the 5th rd doesnt mean he cant be a player. We drafted him to play not to bust. Even if we draft a QB in the 3rd he he has to wait at least one year to do anything. By then Davis will have 2 years and will most likely out play the 3rd rounder anyway. I just dont see us drafting a qb high next year.

This team has holes o plenty. You cant just go drafting QBs every year and expect that to pay off. Just because Davis was drafted back in the 5th rd doesnt mean he cant be a player. We drafted him to play not to bust. Even if we draft a QB in the 3rd he he has to wait at least one year to do anything. By then Davis will have 2 years and will most likely out play the 3rd rounder anyway. I just dont see us drafting a qb high next year.

Agreed. We can't do everything. There is quite a shopping list and I think that if we can put together a real O line for next year, between them Smith and Davis should be good enough.
Share 49ersWebzone