There are 191 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Which QB do the Niners pursue in the 2010 draft?

Pass on Pike. He reminds me too much of Ken Dorsey.
  • titan
  • Veteran
If we had to pick in 2010....McCoy,Bradford,or Tebow! I don't care anyone would be better than we have now. 2011 is the real number...Ryan Mallet our O would look like Indianapolis Colts.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Anybody but Tebow.
Forget a QB now...Let's wait until 2012 or 2013..when we get University of Washington's Nick Montana.
Of the ones listed in the OP, I would choose Lefevour, Pike, or Snead.

But I am not against taking a QB early this year. Its obvious our offense is the problem with this team and that is not likely to improve until we get better QB play. Having an elite pass rusher would take the defense from good to elite, but its clear the defense is good enough to win games. The offense should be the priority, unless a can't miss defensive prospect falls into our laps Crabtree style.

As far as the offense goes, you could say the OL is a bigger problem, but look at the positions we need on the OL - RT and OG. Traditionally, those are not positions that demand a top 15 pick to find decent starters. So our needs at OL shouldn't preclude taking a QB this year.

Depending on how the rest of the college season goes, who declares, how Bradford's rehab goes, etc. I think we'll have a shot at one of the following (minimum): Locker, Clausen, & Bradford.

I'm not in love with any of those guys, but I would at least consider taking them this year.

[ Edited by Overkill on Nov 13, 2009 at 13:06:14 ]
Jay Cutler
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Quote:

Sam Bradford - before anyone else. If Berry isn't there, we need to take him, better than what we have now I the roster.
Ryan Mallett - If he declares for the draft.
Greg McElroy - If he declares for the draft.
Dan LeFevour - No higher than the 2nd round.
Tim Hiller - This guy could be the surprise of the draft.

Posted this in another thread, but these are my picks. But I think, if I had the choice between Bradford and Mallet, I would select Mallet.
If one of Clausen, Bradford or Locker falls to us with our first pick I say grab them. It's not likely that we win a SB without a premium quarterback and even less likely to sustain that success going forward in the unlikely event that we do win one on defense alone.

IMO, best case scenario is that one of those 3 sits behind Alex (or whoever we might pick up in Free Agency) for a year or two. After that period, we'll have a year of steady quarterback play and TWO talented young QBs that will have had the benefit of learning the system (Davis and Clau/Brad/Lock). If none of them work out... back to the drawing board. If one of them makes it, great! If more than one of them are successful like the Chargers similarly faced, we can capitalize on a Cutler-type trade.

I fully support getting a QB with our first #1.
Originally posted by Overkill:
Of the ones listed in the OP, I would choose Lefevour, Pike, or Snead.

But I am not against taking a QB early this year. Its obvious our offense is the problem with this team and that is not likely to improve until we get better QB play. Having an elite pass rusher would take the defense from good to elite, but its clear the defense is good enough to win games. The offense should be the priority, unless a can't miss defensive prospect falls into our laps Crabtree style.

As far as the offense goes, you could say the OL is a bigger problem, but look at the positions we need on the OL - RT and OG. Traditionally, those are not positions that demand a top 15 pick to find decent starters. So our needs at OL shouldn't preclude taking a QB this year.

Depending on how the rest of the college season goes, who declares, how Bradford's rehab goes, etc. I think we'll have a shot at one of the following (minimum): Locker, Clausen, & Bradford.

I'm not in love with any of those guys, but I would at least consider taking them this year.

Very good assessment. Without a decent OL to protect him (and run-block effectively), it doesn't matter who we have at QB.

Draft a good RT, a pass-rusher and a good guard. If you want to take one of these second-tier QB's in the later rounds, great. Nate Davis looked real good in pre-season and has a lot of potential, but maybe some competition from another new kid would help the whole situation.

I still think that at this point Alex is the starter and Shaun backs him up...until Nate takes it over by demonstrating his better skill set. Probably not until next training camp.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
pass. we already grabbed one last draft.

I liked what I saw in preseason from Davis, but is he really the answer?

There's no way to know that until he actually gets a chance to play in the regular season. The same could be said for any QB we draft in the future.

You don't stop looking at QBs just because you might have an answer. Hell even if you have a franchise QB you still want to look at mid round QB's ala NE, Philly.

I find it absolutely appalling that the franchise that once had the Joe Montana/ Steve Yound qb debate is now perfectly willing to settle for the Alex Smith/ Nate Davis (nothing against Nate though) QB debate.

Our organization is never going to stop looking at QBs, any organization that would is insane.

The days of Montana/Young are over, but no one is settling for anything. To think that we are is naive at best.

I'm talking about the fan base, and so far they're proving my point. The people here who would rather us draft Bear Pascoe in the 5th than take a QB.

So if we don't address the QB thru the draft that leaves us with Nate Davis, Hill/ Smith or both, and if one gets cut possibly this year's Dilfer/ Hill/ JT O'Sullivan. Whoever Detroit cuts from their waiver wire I guess.

It would be great to get a future franchise QB. But you never know. But the Niners sure better use one of those firsts (and maybe both) to get an O-Lineman or it won't make much difference who the QB is.

There's no way to know that until he actually gets a chance to play in the regular season. The same could be said for any QB we draft in the future.

You don't stop looking at QBs just because you might have an answer. Hell even if you have a franchise QB you still want to look at mid round QB's ala NE, Philly.

I find it absolutely appalling that the franchise that once had the Joe Montana/ Steve Yound qb debate is now perfectly willing to settle for the Alex Smith/ Nate Davis (nothing against Nate though) QB debate.

Our organization is never going to stop looking at QBs, any organization that would is insane.

The days of Montana/Young are over, but no one is settling for anything. To think that we are is naive at best.

I'm talking about the fan base, and so far they're proving my point. Pretty much everyone that's posted in this thread would rather us draft Bear Pascoe in the 5th than take a QB.

So if we don't address the QB thru the draft that leaves us with Davis, Hill/ Smith or both, and possibly this year's JT O'Sullivan.

This thread has 14 posts in it so far, half of them by you and I. Seems to me like not quite enough of a representative sample size. I, BTW, am in favor of drafting a QB, just not in the first two rounds unless it's Clausen or Locker.

Locker should return for his senior year. He would greatly benefit from another year under Sarkisian.
If I had to choose one off that list, I'd take Lefevour.

But I don't think we draft a QB at all, I think they have faith in Nate Davis.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

I'm talking about the fan base, and so far they're proving my point. Pretty much everyone that's posted in this thread would rather us draft Bear Pascoe in the 5th than take a QB.

So if we don't address the QB thru the draft that leaves us with Davis, Hill/ Smith or both, and possibly this year's JT O'Sullivan.

This thread has 14 posts in it so far, half of them by you and I. Seems to me like not quite enough of a representative sample size. I, BTW, am in favor of drafting a QB, just not in the first two rounds unless it's Clausen or Locker.

Locker should return for his senior year. He would greatly benefit from another year under Sarkisian.

He probably should, but because of the possibility of a rookie cap in 2011, I don't know if he will.
Take a QB in round 3! A good prospect will still be available
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Pass on Pike. He reminds me too much of Ken Dorsey.

Key Dorsey has more 300 yard games than Alex Smith.