LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

Prospect Watch: (10/22 - 10/24)

Thanks OTC. Always your prospect watch gives me the focal point that should be seen.
OTC - Why do you have Richard Goodman (FSU) as a prospect? He hasn't really done anything at FSU. Just curious.

Also what do you think of Christian Ponder as an NFL prospect? He's a junior who is 6'2 217lbs and looks to have the arm and physical tools to go to the next level. He has 12 td to only 1 int this year. I would like to see him work more on his reads but if he gets another year under his belt, I think he could be a heck of an NFL prospect.

Kinda a right armed Steve Young type QB. Will run if needed but would rather pass.
Ponder looks like he has some real ability. 33-40 395 3 TD
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Wow, it's going to be a great Saturday.

yes, will be watching to eric berry on sat.. can't wait.. if he is pro or not.. let me see.. i know, ur wannna eric berry all the time.. ok let me see and watch him on sat..

Atta boy Buzz
Originally posted by jta854:
Ponder looks like he has some real ability. 33-40 395 3 TD

ponder has been the best qb the noles had since chris weinke in 00 and that says A LOT. i havent felt this comfortable with a qb since 00 and this offense but now the fsu defense is the hold up after yrs and yrs having 1 of the most talented defenses in the nation
Originally posted by miked1978:
OTC - Why do you have Richard Goodman (FSU) as a prospect? He hasn't really done anything at FSU. Just curious.

Also what do you think of Christian Ponder as an NFL prospect? He's a junior who is 6'2 217lbs and looks to have the arm and physical tools to go to the next level. He has 12 td to only 1 int this year. I would like to see him work more on his reads but if he gets another year under his belt, I think he could be a heck of an NFL prospect.

Kinda a right armed Steve Young type QB. Will run if needed but would rather pass.

I threw Goodman on there as a late, late pick/UDFA. He had a great start and looked like he was going to be big in 2007.. and then he broke his leg, which also caused him to miss all of 2008. I don't know if he's fully made it back from that yet, so while he's not a significant prospect in terms of the guys who I think'll be drafted -- he's one of those "potential" guys, who showed glimpses in the past and teams might take a chance on. He's done okay this year, and he was leading the ACC in receptions per game at one point early on. He missed the UNC game because of a hurt groin, but so far, his numbers are: 27 catches for 335 yards, 1 TD. About what you'd expect for a 7th-UDFA guy.

Ponder -- Wow, has he improved. I didn't like his play at all in times that I'd seen him before. But the guy showed great resilience and composure yesterday, as well as leadership marching FSU down for the comeback win. Great game by Ponder against UNC's 3rd ranked defense.

He strikes me as an efficient passer, who simply doesn't have many weapons around him. If he continues to rise up the boards, that fact I just stated could be a reason for him to leave. Not that I'd agree with that decision, because I don't think he'd get drafted until the 3rd or so. If he stayed a year and showed he could have another good season, he could make himself a day one pick, but right now he's a middle-rounder until he can finish and show he's the real deal.
Dang Christian Ponder looked legit. I like the WR from UNC too, Greg Little? And thee 2 DTs from UNC are pretty talented.
Always a highlight for us draftniks. Thanks OTC for the preview. Going to definitely be following the offensive lineman and pass rushers this weekend.
Tonight, highly touted OT Prospect Anthony Davis is on display.

Do I expect much? No. Honestly, I've seen Davis get beaten so badly this year, I really don't even think he's a 1st-round tackle anymore. He ducks his head way too often when making blocks and he's no where near quick enough to start on the blind side. He's got the great measurables you look for in terms of height-weight combo, but his game? I see some severe issues that need to be corrected and think he should stay another year -- but I don't think he will.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Hello, and welcome to this weeks edition of OTC's Prospect Watch. My main focus this week will be on the following:

Clemson at #10 Miami, 3:30 PM EST (ABC)
Clemson:
RB C.J. Spiller, 5-11 195 4.37
OLB Ricky Sapp, 6-4 248 4.58
WR Jacoby Ford, 5-9 185 4.37
OG Austin Thomas, 6-3 310 5.16
OLB Kavell Conner, 6-1 235 4.67
CB Chris Chancellor, 5-10 172 4.48

For Clemson, I'd also add their other senior cornerback, Crezdon Butler. He's on the Thorpe Award List with Chancellor, and he might have the better NFL career due to his size. Butler is 6 feet, 185, and runs in the 4.4 range.

Also keep an eye on junior safety Deandre McDaniel. The kid is a straight baller and will likely go pro this year. He's 6'1, 200, and runs a legit 4.4. He leads the nation in INTs so far with 5, and he is great at run support and getting after the QB, as he actually played SAM backer last year. He could have some big opportunities with the way Miami likes to attack the middle of the field.

Do I expect much? No. Honestly, I've seen Davis get beaten so badly this year, I really don't even think he's a 1st-round tackle anymore. He ducks his head way too often when making blocks and he's no where near quick enough to start on the blind side. He's got the great measurables you look for in terms of height-weight combo, but his game? I see some severe issues that need to be corrected and think he should stay another year -- but I don't think he will.

OTC, do you think we could get him in the 2nd round for our RT spot? Is he good enough to start at that position in the NFL? If we could get him in 2nd this would allow us to go after Pass-rusher, Safety or maybe even CJ Spiller in the 1st. Thanks ahead of time.

He played pretty well last night...I think he'll be a 1st or 2nd round pick....remember this is his first year at LT...last year he played Guard and he's only a junior....so he still has time to develop.
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:

He played pretty well last night...I think he'll be a 1st or 2nd round pick....remember this is his first year at LT...last year he played Guard and he's only a junior....so he still has time to develop.

He actually only played guard in 2007. He was the starter at LT for all of 2008. He was only 2nd-team Big East last year still, from coaches' votes. Sure there's time to improve, but 1st rounders should be doing much better than he has been playing this year. He looks more like a guard prospect to me, honestly. Because of that, I see him as a 2nd round talent at best for the time being. He's going to take some time to develop.

Now, as for today's games:

If you're watching Michigan and Penn State.. QB Clark has been playing very, very well lately. He may lack ideal height, but he's got the tools to be a good QB.

And of course, Brandon Graham is playing terrific, as always -- Graham just sacked Clark. In the NFL, I think you're going to see Graham absolutely blow by all the less nimble tackles.

Spiller? 90 yard KR TD. However, not all that much in terms of rushing on the day, only 28 yards, but a heck of a day receiving -- 5 catches for 99 yards, 1 TD so far.

Originally posted by tohara3:

OTC, do you think we could get him in the 2nd round for our RT spot? Is he good enough to start at that position in the NFL? If we could get him in 2nd this would allow us to go after Pass-rusher, Safety or maybe even CJ Spiller in the 1st. Thanks ahead of time.

Probably, yes. But like I said, I'm not sure he's NFL ready yet.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 24, 2009 at 3:43 PM ]
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:
Hello, and welcome to this weeks edition of OTC's Prospect Watch. My main focus this week will be on the following:

Clemson at #10 Miami, 3:30 PM EST (ABC)
Clemson:
RB C.J. Spiller, 5-11 195 4.37
OLB Ricky Sapp, 6-4 248 4.58
WR Jacoby Ford, 5-9 185 4.37
OG Austin Thomas, 6-3 310 5.16
OLB Kavell Conner, 6-1 235 4.67
CB Chris Chancellor, 5-10 172 4.48

For Clemson, I'd also add their other senior cornerback, Crezdon Butler. He's on the Thorpe Award List with Chancellor, and he might have the better NFL career due to his size. Butler is 6 feet, 185, and runs in the 4.4 range.

Also keep an eye on junior safety Deandre McDaniel. The kid is a straight baller and will likely go pro this year. He's 6'1, 200, and runs a legit 4.4. He leads the nation in INTs so far with 5, and he is great at run support and getting after the QB, as he actually played SAM backer last year. He could have some big opportunities with the way Miami likes to attack the middle of the field.

You're right, I must've skipped over the two. I normally put these together late at night or early in the morning so it happens.
Javiar Arenas is looking solid. He provides very good run support for such a small guy and every time he has the ball in his hands, he looks like he can break one.
Share 49ersWebzone