LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 248 users in the forums

Who is the Best Pro-style QB Prospect in 2010?

At the beginning of the year, I thought that Colt McCoy was going to be the best prospect for the Niners with the first of their two 1st round picks. All the Drew Brees comparisons aside, McCoy's stats so far aren't that impressive:

- 39th ranked passer in FBS Passing Efficiency
- 11 tds but 7 INTS
- 30th ranked in Total passing yds
- 19th ranked in passing yds per game

The guy is undefeated, but he hasn't been as dominant as he looked last year. Right now, those stats add up to a late 1st round pick to 2nd round pick at best.

Guys like Clausen and Locker have stolen his thunder.
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:

Nate Davis has a pretty accurate arm. I think we should invest in OL and Pass Rusher rather than QB. Nate Davis was considered a first day pick and even a first rounder before a poor performance in the bowl game hurt him and some say his own coach also hurt his stock. Davis has shown arm strength and poise so far.

I am in accord. Davis is as good as anybody out there in the 2010 draft, and he'll already have a year's head start in the 49er's system. We need offensive linemen (2), pass rushers, and taller faster corners (basketball guards?)

Too many other needs to waste another pick on a QB. Davis was a steal and will prove to be something special if Johnson is given an opportunity to coach him up.
  • Twister68
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by JDeezy:
Originally posted by znk916:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Locker, Clausen.

This. Claussen more polished, Locker more upside.

I like Clausen too, but he does struggle with the vertical down the field throws, something we haven't been good at in a while.

Have you seen him play this season? I guess you haven't because that's BS. The dude throws beautiful deep ball.
Originally posted by Twister68:
Originally posted by JDeezy:
Originally posted by znk916:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Locker, Clausen.

This. Claussen more polished, Locker more upside.

I like Clausen too, but he does struggle with the vertical down the field throws, something we haven't been good at in a while.

Have you seen him play this season? I guess you haven't because that's BS. The dude throws beautiful deep ball.

hahaha yeah, Claussen's STRENGTH is the touch on the deep ball... other things you may have a point, but he has one of the best deep balls in college football right now (Jevan Snead is up there as well)
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I wanted to see how Locker would look against the second best team in the PAC 10 today and he was a big disappointment. He needs another year in school.
  • Kelv
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hopper:
I wanted to see how Locker would look against the second best team in the PAC 10 today and he was a big disappointment. He needs another year in school.

Disappointed with his play too, although he didn't get much help from the rest of his team. If there's a good chance he'll be a Top 15 pick he should come out and hopefully the team that drafts him realises that he'll have to sit a year or so. A good QB on a bad team can have things go sour very quickly (see Cullen Harper - Clemson).
  • Kelv
  • Veteran
In fairness he did very well against the best team.
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Tom Brady
Locker sure can run and seems like a solid guy mentally in the pocket; he doesn't get frazzled. Just needs to work on his accuracy and he could be nice in the NFL. He is huuuge.

Clausen seems kind of douchey but he throws a nice ball thats for sure.
Why doesn't Colt McCoy and Sam Bradford get the same criticism for being system QBs like Tim Tebow?

This is the list of the last 4 Texas QBs: Major Applewhite (pretty much held all the records that McCoy now holds), Chris Simms, Vince Young, Colt McCoy. All these QBs played under now coach Mack Brown.

This is the list of the last 4 Oklahoma QBs: Josh Heupel (2000 Heisman Runner, AP POY), Nate Hybl (2003 Rose Bowl MVP), Jason White (former Heisman winner, AP POY), and Sam Bradford. All these QBs played under now coach, Bob Stoops.

What exactly about McCoy or Bradford says "future 1st rd pick"?

Arm strength? no
Athletcism? no
Size? They're tall but frail...neither strikes me as a workout warrior or someone whose body will physically mature.
Pro-style QB? definitely not
Accuracy? I guess they do, but when you play in Texas or OK's systems, numbers tend to look inflated. Just look at the list above....

The only trait that these two have over Tim Tebow is that they both have better throwing motions.

The ceiling for McCoy or Bradford is.......Chad Pennington
[ Edited by DesiDez on Oct 26, 2009 at 7:33 AM ]

Locker isn´t ready to be an NFL QB, i think he will most likely stay with Steve Sarkisian for another season. At this point i think Colt McCoy is the best prospect out of the QBs in next years draft.
I saw a mock draft have us take Mallett in the second.
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:
Locker isn´t ready to be an NFL QB, i think he will most likely stay with Steve Sarkisian for another season. At this point i think Colt McCoy is the best prospect out of the QBs in next years draft.

• Sacramento49er
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Why doesn't Colt McCoy and Sam Bradford get the same criticism for being system QBs like Tim Tebow?

This is the list of the last 4 Texas QBs: Major Applewhite (pretty much held all the records that McCoy now holds), Chris Simms, Vince Young, Colt McCoy. All these QBs played under now coach Mack Brown.

This is the list of the last 4 Oklahoma QBs: Josh Heupel (2000 Heisman Runner, AP POY), Nate Hybl (2003 Rose Bowl MVP), Jason White (former Heisman winner, AP POY), and Sam Bradford. All these QBs played under now coach, Bob Stoops.

What exactly about McCoy or Bradford says "future 1st rd pick"?

Arm strength? no
Athletcism? no
Size? They're tall but frail...neither strikes me as a workout warrior or someone whose body will physically mature.
Pro-style QB? definitely not
Accuracy? I guess they do, but when you play in Texas or OK's systems, numbers tend to look inflated. Just look at the list above....

The only trait that these two have over Tim Tebow is that they both have better throwing motions.

The ceiling for McCoy or Bradford is.......Chad Pennington

Bradford has solid arm strength, all his draft profiles say he has an underrated arm by people just like you. McCoy has great athleticism for a quarterback and Bradford is underrated in athleticism as well, he a basketball prospect as well out of high school. Tim Tebow does not even play quarterback at Florida, he is a fullback who occasionally throws, probably to the best supporting cast in the NCAA. The thing is about their accuracy the numbers you say are good because of their systems is not the important thing. If you watch games they often times put the ball where their receivers are capable of running after the catch or into smaller windows, something Tebow is not capable of. Try watching a few games
Share 49ersWebzone