LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 243 users in the forums

Who is the Best Pro-style QB Prospect in 2010?

Who is the Best Pro-style QB Prospect in 2010?

It seems to me like all the top-rated QBs for this year's draft play in a spread offense -- and I am very nervous about taking a QB who has never taken as snap from under center.

From what I can tell, the only two QBs that run a pro-style offense that may be in the 2010 draft (both are Jrs) are Clausen and Locker. I like Clausen, but I really think Locker has the tools to be a star in the NFL:

1. Plays in a pro-style, run-first, play-action offense.
2. Rocket Arm
3. Extremely mobile
4. Leadership skills
5. Great Vision

I really feel that Locker and Clausen will declare this year. Clausen has little left to prove this year, and his draft stock will crash if he comes back for a senior year and has a bad season (or gets hurt).

Locker will declare to avoid any competition with Nick Montana at UW next spring. What would happen to Locker's draft stock if a true freshman gave him a run for his money in camp?
Jake Locker
  • evil
  • Veteran
I doubt there would be a competition for Lockers job should he come back. Montana could RS and still play 4 years.

Clausen could stand to continue to improve his game and gain further experience, he may also choose to come back and try to help ND win. If he got hurt depending on the seriousness he could possibly still keep his stock high with the SB/combine/pro day and workouts for individual teams.
Here is What Pete Carrol has to say about Locker:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2009/09/usc-football-pete-carroll-jake-locker-vince-young.html

Quote:
So after practice I asked Carroll about Locker.

"I'm not saying he played the greatest game ever against us," Carroll said chuckling. "I think the guy from Texas did.

"But I just think he's one of the really, really fine complete athletes. I don't know why I'm blowing him up all the time, but I just really like the guy."

So, Locker over Young?

"I think this guy is the best quarterback we've played against," Carroll said. "I thought Vince played the best game I've ever seen anybody ever play."
Originally posted by KRS-1:
I doubt there would be a competition for Lockers job should he come back. Montana could RS and still play 4 years.

Clausen could stand to continue to improve his game and gain further experience, he may also choose to come back and try to help ND win. If he got hurt depending on the seriousness he could possibly still keep his stock high with the SB/combine/pro day and workouts for individual teams.

How many millions has Bradford lost coming back for his Senior Year? How much did Leinart lose?

Declare when your stock is at its highest. Coming back for your senior year when you're assured to be a top 5 pick is sheer stupidiy.
I've heard Locker referred to as "Tim Tebow of the West" -- anybody else heard that?

The argument is that there's little difference between the two, except that Tebow plays in a spread offense surrounded by superstars while Locker plays in a pro-style offense surrounded by guys who drop the ball a lot.
Cody Hawkins
Originally posted by Court5274:
Jake Locker
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Clausen
Originally posted by strickac:
Cody Hawkins

Yeah I was sold when he threw that out route to that Texas DB for the TD!

Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by KRS-1:

How many millions has Bradford lost coming back for his Senior Year? How much did Leinart lose?

Declare when your stock is at its highest. Coming back for your senior year when you're assured to be a top 5 pick is sheer stupidiy.

Bradford is only a junior. He was a red shirt softmore last year

[ Edited by Mike8016 on Oct 13, 2009 at 07:27:23 ]
Meh. I don't know fellas. Locker reminds me of another UW alum, Cody Pickett.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kstolai:
Originally posted by Court5274:
Jake Locker

I don't care how good people say his physical tools are or how bad his WR are. If you cant complete 60% of your passes in college there is no way you are going to make it in the pros.
Tom Brady
Originally posted by valrod33:
Tom Brady
Share 49ersWebzone