Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I had the chance to see Benn live this week at the Illinois-Ohio State game. This is a kid who is going to surely get overdrafted if he runs a fast forty time, because he is simply not that good.

He is a fast player on the field, but not nearly as explosive as the DeSean Jacksons, Ted Ginn, Jr.s, Jeremy Maclins of the world. Didn't see the burst at all.

Benn needs to be broken down in his route running. Just too sloppy to make a difference at the next level.

I know many see him as a first rounder, but I've got to be honest, I was really let down by his play. He was just not a difference maker at all, and appears to be a third round prospect more than a first rounder.

Benn is a first rounder if he stays and gets more work in in his senior year. Right now, he's a late first based on potential. He releases from press-coverage well due to his strength and physicality, and obviously he moves extremely well for his size. Reminds me somewhat of Marques Colston.

I'd never expect a guy at 6-2 220 to be as explosive or as quick as a 5-10 170 pound receiver like Jackson or Johnson; that's obviously just not possible.

He really needs a senior year. I'm just not sure he'll want to stick around with the QB's on the roster next season, and the system they play.

One note: If Benn is 6'2", then I'm as tall as Shaq. I think this will be more like the Michael Crabtree measurement where a 6'2" receiver is more like 6' 1/2". He's not 6'2", even though that is high listing.

MD a few questions for you. If we don't end up signing Crabs which now I'm really starting to doubt, would you be in favor of drafting Bryant? With Carolina's 1st rounder I'm expecting a top 5 pick, does it make sense to take Bryant so the Crabs situation is a wash? Crabs wants top 5 money I would rather draft a kid in that position and spend the money accordingly.

Also who do you have down as prospective NT's for us?

Considering the shopping list as of now reads:
ROT
LG
OLB
NT
WR
QB

What do you see fill-able for this years draft?

The Niners could look at WR with Bryant. I think he'll end up going somewhere in the 7-10 slot. Carolina has a rough schedule ahead, in a competitive division, and may be in that area on draft day, when we use their pick. This team surely needs a playmaker at WR, badly, and I'm beginning to think that Morgan has been vastly overrated as a future star. And, I think Bryant is going to be nasty in the NFL. I love his attitude on the field.

As for NT's, the one that really stands out is Cody. However, I think the Niners are going to re-sign Franklin, who works well in this current system.

I agree that ROT and LG are huge priorities. I'd be shocked to see Baas on the roster after this year. I expect the Niners to let him walk. And, Snyder is best suited as a reserve lineman.

The good news is that secondary looks great, and the interior LB's are set for the future. We still lack one dominant pass rusher.

So, to me, the priority list looks like this:
WR
RT
LG
OLB

If the team can magically sign Crabtree (I agree that it looks mor unlikely every day...he's not even in the Bay Area anymore), then they can focus heavily on the OL and OLB position.

I think we can trade him away for a late 1st rounder pretty easily. Going in with a 3 1st rounders one of which could be a top 5 would be major. We could hit WR, OLB, and RT before day 2 even starts!!! With the possibility of Bruce, Battle, and Spurlock being gone after this year I'm thinking we may actually draft 2 WR's this year. I know it's a ways out but what do you think of Shipley? Bryant, Morgan, and Shipley would be a nice set of guys to throw the ball to.

I'm also betting we draft a QB this year as well and finally say goodbye to Smith. I know he makes for a good #2 QB but really whats the point. If LeFevour, Pike or even Hiller are around in the 2nd to 3rd I don't see why we cant pull the trigger. If we can trade back a little with 1 of our 1st rounders we should be able to snag an additional 2nd a take one of these guys.

Allow me to interject briefly.

If Crabtree does indeed re-enter the draft, I think it quite possibly could absolutely be the case that he and Dez Bryant are the top two receivers taken. A year out of football didn't stop Marriuchi from selecting Mike Williams for the Lions, (horrible selection, albeit).

There were four linemen I wanted to key in on -- two seniors, two juniors. All four, I feel could be looked at as top RT prospects. The two seniors were Trent Williams (OU) and Ciron Black (LSU), both who I really like. The juniors were Bulaga (Iowa) and Anthony Davis (Rutgers). While talented, Bulaga has been hurt, and Davis has not been as good as I had hoped this year. Fine in the run-game, but so-so in pass protection.

If Carolina lands us a top ten pick, I think our best course of action would be to hope either Berry, Bryant, Suh or a guy like Dunlap if he declares is there, and then go after a tackle and pass-rusher with our next 1st, and 2nd round picks. I could see the 49ers also going after Taylor Mays, although I'm not sure I'd be so high on that pick.

I also think the 49ers are prepared to sit tight with Hill as the starter for now, and will continue to build the lines and receiving corps. But the key thing is.. We must, must, must draft a pass-rusher this year.

I doubt we let Crabs re-enter the draft, he will be traded. I'm very confident we can get a 1st for him, somebody will bite. Ciron I do agree would be a wise choice, plug him next to Chilo and call it a day.

Going into this year I did want Berry...but that was before we moved Roman to the bench. I agree with MD the DB's have played very well and I don't want to burn a 1st or a 2nd on another one. Goldson has played fine so far and R Smith looked very good in the preseason. Although I love Berry, the pick doesn't make much sense. I know BPA is always he mantra but we have some glaring holes that need filling.

Dez would give us a 3rd playmaker on the O that we need. Morgan, Dez, and Davis actually make for a pretty good set of receiving weapons. Anything we can do to unstack the box for Gore will always be a positive.

I wouldn't pass on Eric Berry if we had the opportunity to draft him. He's a special talent in the mold of Ed Reed. I like Reggie Smith, but there is no comparison here.

I agree, and I also agree that it's virtually impossible that Crabtree makes it back into the draft class unless he refuses to sign with the team we trade him to.

At the very worst, the 49ers will get rid of him -- There's NO way the 49ers would just let themselves be robbed and let him float back into the draft pool, getting nothing in return. That would be asinine.

Playmaking talent is what we need -- Berry is one. Smith looks to be developing fine, but I'd still draft Berry knowing that at the very least, we have a nice back-up if he goes down. Aside from that, I think we must continue to build the trenches, looking for pass-rushers -- and again, a nose tackle.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
I had the chance to see Benn live this week at the Illinois-Ohio State game. This is a kid who is going to surely get overdrafted if he runs a fast forty time, because he is simply not that good.

He is a fast player on the field, but not nearly as explosive as the DeSean Jacksons, Ted Ginn, Jr.s, Jeremy Maclins of the world. Didn't see the burst at all.

Benn needs to be broken down in his route running. Just too sloppy to make a difference at the next level.

I know many see him as a first rounder, but I've got to be honest, I was really let down by his play. He was just not a difference maker at all, and appears to be a third round prospect more than a first rounder.

Benn is a first rounder if he stays and gets more work in in his senior year. Right now, he's a late first based on potential. He releases from press-coverage well due to his strength and physicality, and obviously he moves extremely well for his size. Reminds me somewhat of Marques Colston.

I'd never expect a guy at 6-2 220 to be as explosive or as quick as a 5-10 170 pound receiver like Jackson or Johnson; that's obviously just not possible.

He really needs a senior year. I'm just not sure he'll want to stick around with the QB's on the roster next season, and the system they play.

One note: If Benn is 6'2", then I'm as tall as Shaq. I think this will be more like the Michael Crabtree measurement where a 6'2" receiver is more like 6' 1/2". He's not 6'2", even though that is high listing.

MD a few questions for you. If we don't end up signing Crabs which now I'm really starting to doubt, would you be in favor of drafting Bryant? With Carolina's 1st rounder I'm expecting a top 5 pick, does it make sense to take Bryant so the Crabs situation is a wash? Crabs wants top 5 money I would rather draft a kid in that position and spend the money accordingly.

ROT
LG
OLB
NT
WR
QB

The Niners could look at WR with Bryant. I think he'll end up going somewhere in the 7-10 slot. Carolina has a rough schedule ahead, in a competitive division, and may be in that area on draft day, when we use their pick. This team surely needs a playmaker at WR, badly, and I'm beginning to think that Morgan has been vastly overrated as a future star. And, I think Bryant is going to be nasty in the NFL. I love his attitude on the field.

As for NT's, the one that really stands out is Cody. However, I think the Niners are going to re-sign Franklin, who works well in this current system.

I agree that ROT and LG are huge priorities. I'd be shocked to see Baas on the roster after this year. I expect the Niners to let him walk. And, Snyder is best suited as a reserve lineman.

The good news is that secondary looks great, and the interior LB's are set for the future. We still lack one dominant pass rusher.

So, to me, the priority list looks like this:
WR
RT
LG
OLB

If the team can magically sign Crabtree (I agree that it looks mor unlikely every day...he's not even in the Bay Area anymore), then they can focus heavily on the OL and OLB position.

I think we can trade him away for a late 1st rounder pretty easily. Going in with a 3 1st rounders one of which could be a top 5 would be major. We could hit WR, OLB, and RT before day 2 even starts!!! With the possibility of Bruce, Battle, and Spurlock being gone after this year I'm thinking we may actually draft 2 WR's this year. I know it's a ways out but what do you think of Shipley? Bryant, Morgan, and Shipley would be a nice set of guys to throw the ball to.

I'm also betting we draft a QB this year as well and finally say goodbye to Smith. I know he makes for a good #2 QB but really whats the point. If LeFevour, Pike or even Hiller are around in the 2nd to 3rd I don't see why we cant pull the trigger. If we can trade back a little with 1 of our 1st rounders we should be able to snag an additional 2nd a take one of these guys.

Allow me to interject briefly.

If Crabtree does indeed re-enter the draft, I think it quite possibly could absolutely be the case that he and Dez Bryant are the top two receivers taken. A year out of football didn't stop Marriuchi from selecting Mike Williams for the Lions, (horrible selection, albeit).

There were four linemen I wanted to key in on -- two seniors, two juniors. All four, I feel could be looked at as top RT prospects. The two seniors were Trent Williams (OU) and Ciron Black (LSU), both who I really like. The juniors were Bulaga (Iowa) and Anthony Davis (Rutgers). While talented, Bulaga has been hurt, and Davis has not been as good as I had hoped this year. Fine in the run-game, but so-so in pass protection.

If Carolina lands us a top ten pick, I think our best course of action would be to hope either Berry, Bryant, Suh or a guy like Dunlap if he declares is there, and then go after a tackle and pass-rusher with our next 1st, and 2nd round picks. I could see the 49ers also going after Taylor Mays, although I'm not sure I'd be so high on that pick.

I also think the 49ers are prepared to sit tight with Hill as the starter for now, and will continue to build the lines and receiving corps. But the key thing is.. We must, must, must draft a pass-rusher this year.

I doubt we let Crabs re-enter the draft, he will be traded. I'm very confident we can get a 1st for him, somebody will bite. Ciron I do agree would be a wise choice, plug him next to Chilo and call it a day.

Going into this year I did want Berry...but that was before we moved Roman to the bench. I agree with MD the DB's have played very well and I don't want to burn a 1st or a 2nd on another one. Goldson has played fine so far and R Smith looked very good in the preseason. Although I love Berry, the pick doesn't make much sense. I know BPA is always he mantra but we have some glaring holes that need filling.

Dez would give us a 3rd playmaker on the O that we need. Morgan, Dez, and Davis actually make for a pretty good set of receiving weapons. Anything we can do to unstack the box for Gore will always be a positive.

I wouldn't pass on Eric Berry if we had the opportunity to draft him. He's a special talent in the mold of Ed Reed. I like Reggie Smith, but there is no comparison here.

I agree, and I also agree that it's virtually impossible that Crabtree makes it back into the draft class unless he refuses to sign with the team we trade him to.

At the very worst, the 49ers will get rid of him -- There's NO way the 49ers would just let themselves be robbed and let him float back into the draft pool, getting nothing in return. That would be asinine.

Playmaking talent is what we need -- Berry is one. Smith looks to be developing fine, but I'd still draft Berry knowing that at the very least, we have a nice back-up if he goes down. Aside from that, I think we must continue to build the trenches, looking for pass-rushers -- and again, a nose tackle.

I wouldn't mind taking Berry's teammate, Dan Williams, in the 2nd or 3rd round.
If things continue the way they are, I wouldn't mind trading one of the 1st rounders for a couple of 2nd rounders. To me, there are a few really good players at the top of the drafts, and then it's decent talent through the rest of the 1st and 2nd. Nothing wrong with these players, just nothing to set them apart from the next guy.
AJ Green is gonna be a top 15 pick.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:

ROT
LG
OLB
NT
WR
QB

Do you know how pissed i'd be if this happened. Let's pay this guy top 5 money because that's where we drafted him. But not give it to Crabtree even though he's a better player/prospect because we drafted him at #10.

I like Bryant alot. But I don't think he's better than Crabtree if he gets the money and Crab's don't

I would be fine paying Bryant the money if that's where he fell. Now he could end up being there at #10....then we pay him #10 money, but if he's the BPA at say #5 then we have to pay him that. Crabtree's unwillingness to budge and his "attitude" at this juncture makes it real hard to foresee dropping #5 $$$ to appease him. I would rather spend the money on a kid who wants to be in SF, play for Sing, and get to work ASAP. Crabtree has become a merc before he ever got $1, I don't see any loyalty to him....he doesn't deserve to wear a 9er jersey.

You're obviously missing my point. Crabtree > Bryant So if we pay the lesser guy the money that the better guy wants due to luck of the draw. That would make no sense to me. Crabtree isn't just another #10 pick. If we had the #5 spot and would have taken him and willing to pay him #5 money. Then pay him #5 money now.

There are not alot of players you draft at #10 that you would drraft at #5 period! We likely would have taken him at #3 if we had that pick.

As maddog pointed out, all this over $2 mill a year? We spend more than that signing the Brandon Jones', Bryant Johnson's and Isaac Bruce's. Signing him and getting him here will cancel itself out by not signing bum WR's every stinking year trying to find WR's.
[ Edited by krizay on Sep 29, 2009 at 4:36 PM ]
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
AJ Green is gonna be a top 15 pick.

I tell you what.. the kid looks like a special receiver, and a heck of a playmaker.

It'll be interesting to see where he and Alabama's Julio Jones stand next year.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Quote:
There's NO way the 49ers would just let themselves be robbed and let him float back into the draft pool, getting nothing in return. That would be asinine.

Watch this very thing happen. I'm serious....not being negative, but this is exactly what I have come to expect from the front office.
Actually, letting him re-enter the draft makes sense. Depending on the results of the tampering case which I suspect will be very strong, we would stand to recieve much more compensation from the Jets if we let him enter the draft. And, it would force other teams to actually have to draft and pay him a huge contract. Not as easy to do. Contrary to what others have stated, 2 million a year is a large sum of money. TO was cut over a similar amount of money from a "high revenue" and a "high debt" team.

ROT
LG
OLB
NT
WR
QB

Do you know how pissed i'd be if this happened. Let's pay this guy top 5 money because that's where we drafted him. But not give it to Crabtree even though he's a better player/prospect because we drafted him at #10.

I like Bryant alot. But I don't think he's better than Crabtree if he gets the money and Crab's don't

I would be fine paying Bryant the money if that's where he fell. Now he could end up being there at #10....then we pay him #10 money, but if he's the BPA at say #5 then we have to pay him that. Crabtree's unwillingness to budge and his "attitude" at this juncture makes it real hard to foresee dropping #5 $$$ to appease him. I would rather spend the money on a kid who wants to be in SF, play for Sing, and get to work ASAP. Crabtree has become a merc before he ever got $1, I don't see any loyalty to him....he doesn't deserve to wear a 9er jersey.

You're obviously missing my point. Crabtree > Bryant So if we pay the lesser guy the money that the better guy wants due to luck of the draw. That would make no sense to me. Crabtree isn't just another #10 pick. If we had the #5 spot and would have taken him and willing to pay him #5 money. Then pay him #5 money now.

There are not alot of players you draft at #10 that you would drraft at #5 period! We likely would have taken him at #3 if we had that pick.

As maddog pointed out, all this over $2 mill a year? We spend more than that signing the Brandon Jones', Bryant Johnson's and Isaac Bruce's. Signing him and getting him here will cancel itself out by not signing bum WR's every stinking year trying to find WR's.

Crabtree being better then Bryant is your opinion....which is still a popular one. But most analysts are in agreement that if he was to re-enter he would not be the first WR taken. So using simple logic that means he is not the best WR in this years draft. I get your point, I really do but we don't know what kind of money he asked for so to say its only a $2 mill a year difference is hearsay. Also MD is on record saying he expects Bryant to be a better pro then Crabtree so everybody has different opinions on this. Bottom line we have no idea what kind of pro either of them could be so to assume one is better then the other doesn't make sense now.

We could pay out the ass and he could be a bust...that statement is true for both of them!!!
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Actually, letting him re-enter the draft makes sense. Depending on the results of the tampering case which I suspect will be very strong, we would stand to recieve much more compensation from the Jets if we let him enter the draft. And, it would force other teams to actually have to draft and pay him a huge contract. Not as easy to do. Contrary to what others have stated, 2 million a year is a large sum of money. TO was cut over a similar amount of money from a "high revenue" and a "high debt" team.

I don't think many around here understand the whole tampering issue and compensation that comes with it. With what you're saying, we would have to fully assume that the Jets would actually be caught. But the thing is, even if they were, the compensation we'd get wouldn't really be much compensation at all.

The 49ers can't sit back and base their decisions on hopes. We should get what we can, which in this case, the most we would receive would come from trading him before the draft.

Ahh, realism. Well OTC the fact is we will not be able to trade MC for more than a 3rd round pick. Teams simply will not give a first round pick AND have to pay a top five contract and what now sounds like a top 3 contract for MC. It simply won't happen. The most we can hope for is a 2nd round pick. That's best case.
Originally posted by kray28:
Quote:
There's NO way the 49ers would just let themselves be robbed and let him float back into the draft pool, getting nothing in return. That would be asinine.

Watch this very thing happen. I'm serious....not being negative, but this is exactly what I have come to expect from the front office.

49ers are going to trade his ass

whether it be a 2nd rounder

3rd rounder

whatever
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Ahh, realism. Well OTC the fact is we will not be able to trade MC for more than a 3rd round pick. Teams simply will not give a first round pick AND have to pay a top five contract and what now sounds like a top 3 contract for MC. It simply won't happen. The most we can hope for is a 2nd round pick. That's best case.

Historically speaking, it's actually quite the opposite. It was a long time ago, but look at the last NFL draft pick this happened with, and what he was traded for. And considering the lack of talent coming out, this gives Crabtree more value.
  • krizay
  • Veteran

ROT
LG
OLB
NT
WR
QB

Crabtree being better then Bryant is your opinion....which is still a popular one. But most analysts are in agreement that if he was to re-enter he would not be the first WR taken. So using simple logic that means he is not the best WR in this years draft. I get your point, I really do but we don't know what kind of money he asked for so to say its only a $2 mill a year difference is hearsay. Also MD is on record saying he expects Bryant to be a better pro then Crabtree so everybody has different opinions on this. Bottom line we have no idea what kind of pro either of them could be so to assume one is better then the other doesn't make sense now.

We could pay out the ass and he could be a bust...that statement is true for both of them!!!

Well in my OP I did say prospect. But the only reason Crabtree wouldn't get pick 1st next year is because of what happen this year. Kinda like how everyone was saying Alex Smith wouldn't have went in the 1st round had he came out a year later. It's easy to say that AFTER their rookie seasons.
I think that there will be further issues with Crabtree. This is just a start of more problems to come in the future. This KID is all about himself and money any will be a distraction to any team that signs him.
Share 49ersWebzone