LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

The 2010 Draft Class is Overrated

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I had the chance to see Benn live this week at the Illinois-Ohio State game. This is a kid who is going to surely get overdrafted if he runs a fast forty time, because he is simply not that good.

He is a fast player on the field, but not nearly as explosive as the DeSean Jacksons, Ted Ginn, Jr.s, Jeremy Maclins of the world. Didn't see the burst at all.

Benn needs to be broken down in his route running. Just too sloppy to make a difference at the next level.

I know many see him as a first rounder, but I've got to be honest, I was really let down by his play. He was just not a difference maker at all, and appears to be a third round prospect more than a first rounder.

Benn is a first rounder if he stays and gets more work in in his senior year. Right now, he's a late first based on potential. He releases from press-coverage well due to his strength and physicality, and obviously he moves extremely well for his size. Reminds me somewhat of Marques Colston.

I'd never expect a guy at 6-2 220 to be as explosive or as quick as a 5-10 170 pound receiver like Jackson or Johnson; that's obviously just not possible.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Tony Pike in the late 1st/2nd round is the way to go if we go Qb next year. I'd love Bradford, but I think he stays to improve his stock and I'm not much of a fan of either McCoy, Clausen or Snead.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I had the chance to see Benn live this week at the Illinois-Ohio State game. This is a kid who is going to surely get overdrafted if he runs a fast forty time, because he is simply not that good.

He is a fast player on the field, but not nearly as explosive as the DeSean Jacksons, Ted Ginn, Jr.s, Jeremy Maclins of the world. Didn't see the burst at all.

Benn needs to be broken down in his route running. Just too sloppy to make a difference at the next level.

I know many see him as a first rounder, but I've got to be honest, I was really let down by his play. He was just not a difference maker at all, and appears to be a third round prospect more than a first rounder.

Benn is a first rounder if he stays and gets more work in in his senior year. Right now, he's a late first based on potential. He releases from press-coverage well due to his strength and physicality, and obviously he moves extremely well for his size. Reminds me somewhat of Marques Colston.

I'd never expect a guy at 6-2 220 to be as explosive or as quick as a 5-10 170 pound receiver like Jackson or Johnson; that's obviously just not possible.

He really needs a senior year. I'm just not sure he'll want to stick around with the QB's on the roster next season, and the system they play.

One note: If Benn is 6'2", then I'm as tall as Shaq. I think this will be more like the Michael Crabtree measurement where a 6'2" receiver is more like 6' 1/2". He's not 6'2", even though that is high listing.
This could be an epic year for underclassmen entering the draft. With a possible work stoppage or rookie salary structure coming in 2011, most I believe will declare.

He really needs a senior year. I'm just not sure he'll want to stick around with the QB's on the roster next season, and the system they play.

One note: If Benn is 6'2", then I'm as tall as Shaq. I think this will be more like the Michael Crabtree measurement where a 6'2" receiver is more like 6' 1/2". He's not 6'2", even though that is high listing.

I do think it'd benefit him the most. And yes, I think Benn has been list most of the time at around 6-1 actually.

It's easy to admit that Dez Bryant is simply better in virtually every way ahead of Benn. Toughness, hands, route-running, you name it. Both are versatile threats, however, and Bryant might not be quite as strong of a blocker.

Still, if we're focusing on this year's WR's. I like Marshawn Gilyard better than any of them. The man can move so quickly from side to side, and is just so good at making defenders miss. Very smooth, great hands, great leaping ability, and also the ability to return kicks. Probably my favorite receiver of this senior class.

gives crabtree more incentive to re-enter the draft

Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for nvninerfan1.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Tony Pike in the late 1st/2nd round is the way to go if we go Qb next year. I'd love Bradford, but I think he stays to improve his stock and I'm not much of a fan of either McCoy, Clausen or Snead.

I think it's telling that Bradfords replacement did so well in his first game. Maybe it's the scheme or talent around him.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

I think it's telling that Bradfords replacement did so well in his first game. Maybe it's the scheme or talent around him.

Yeah Idaho State is a formidable opponent.

MD a few questions for you. If we don't end up signing Crabs which now I'm really starting to doubt, would you be in favor of drafting Bryant? With Carolina's 1st rounder I'm expecting a top 5 pick, does it make sense to take Bryant so the Crabs situation is a wash? Crabs wants top 5 money I would rather draft a kid in that position and spend the money accordingly.

Also who do you have down as prospective NT's for us?

Considering the shopping list as of now reads:
ROT
LG
OLB
NT
WR
QB

What do you see fill-able for this years draft?
Originally posted by alwaysa49erfan:
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

Yeah Idaho State is a formidable opponent.

Well that's true.

Hey MadDog or OnTheClock, do you think we can get the OT Bulaga from Iowa as our RT? Also what do you think of the cornerback Patrick Robinson from FSU? Thanks

I agree the only college QB worth consideration for a top 5 pick is Bradford and he's been hurt this year so it's hard to make a case for him. Truthfully though sooner or later we are going to need a franchise QB, I like that Hill doesn't lose any games for us but I'm not sure that he can be trusted to make the clutch throws when needed. And as for Smith...He's only like what 25 thats the age of some rookies. Anyway I hope we get a Brady/Manning type franchise QB and I don't care how we get I just hope it's soon.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:

MD a few questions for you. If we don't end up signing Crabs which now I'm really starting to doubt, would you be in favor of drafting Bryant? With Carolina's 1st rounder I'm expecting a top 5 pick, does it make sense to take Bryant so the Crabs situation is a wash? Crabs wants top 5 money I would rather draft a kid in that position and spend the money accordingly.

ROT
LG
OLB
NT
WR
QB

Do you know how pissed i'd be if this happened. Let's pay this guy top 5 money because that's where we drafted him. But not give it to Crabtree even though he's a better player/prospect because we drafted him at #10.

I like Bryant alot. But I don't think he's better than Crabtree if he gets the money and Crab's don't

Originally posted by ads_2006:

gives crabtree more incentive to re-enter the draft

I know people will get angry, but this draft would come down to two receivers: Bryant and Crabtree. I don't see anyone in their class. And, that is good news for the team if someone is looking for a special WR, and is willing to trade their mid-first rounder in order to get him. Or, if a team like Dallas is willing to part with an Anthony Spencer and another draft pick.
Originally posted by jreff22:

ROT
LG
OLB
NT
WR
QB

The Niners could look at WR with Bryant. I think he'll end up going somewhere in the 7-10 slot. Carolina has a rough schedule ahead, in a competitive division, and may be in that area on draft day, when we use their pick. This team surely needs a playmaker at WR, badly, and I'm beginning to think that Morgan has been vastly overrated as a future star. And, I think Bryant is going to be nasty in the NFL. I love his attitude on the field.

As for NT's, the one that really stands out is Cody. However, I think the Niners are going to re-sign Franklin, who works well in this current system.

I agree that ROT and LG are huge priorities. I'd be shocked to see Baas on the roster after this year. I expect the Niners to let him walk. And, Snyder is best suited as a reserve lineman.

The good news is that secondary looks great, and the interior LB's are set for the future. We still lack one dominant pass rusher.

So, to me, the priority list looks like this:
WR
RT
LG
OLB

If the team can magically sign Crabtree (I agree that it looks mor unlikely every day...he's not even in the Bay Area anymore), then they can focus heavily on the OL and OLB position.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Sep 28, 2009 at 7:53 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone