LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

The 2010 Draft Class is Overrated

How did such a potentially interesting thread become solely about Crabtree?

Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Hey MadDog or OnTheClock, do you think we can get the OT Bulaga from Iowa as our RT? Also what do you think of the cornerback Patrick Robinson from FSU? Thanks

It really depends if he comes out. He's been dinged a bit this year, and most top level LT's these days are staying in for their senior year. I don't expect him to come out.

As for Robinson, I think he's an excellent playmaker. At the same time, the Niners have a great secondary (the best unit on the field for the team this season...by far), so I do not see any moves to pick up a guy in the back four. And, he's probably 5'10", which is a tough sell for me when WR's are getting bigger around the league. And, this team likes 6'+ CB's on the roster.

At RT, I think they'd look heavily at Ciron Black, if he is still on the board. He's a bigger, road-grading OT compared to the more nimble guys like Okung, who are better suited at LT. Black might still be on the board at 18 or so. By the early twenties, he's almost assuredly going to be gone.

MadDog, couple thoughts/questions.

-You say we wouldn't go for a player in the secondary. I have to believe that if Carolina really struggles and grants us a top5/10 pick, basically in position to pick up Berry, we would really have to consider him. Just like you pointed to earlier, Berry and Suh are clearly the two best prospects in college football today. If either is available I think we go after them, even though it could be argued that neither one plays a position of major need.

-Also you said Cody looks fat/unmovable. Is this a good or bad thing? Fat=bad, unmovable=good, fat and unmovable = ???.

-Anthony Spencer? Why so much love for a guy with 4.5 career sacks, who plays behind one of the strongest D-lines in the game? Sounds like another TBC experiment to me.

-Is Suh a potential NT in our system? Doesn't seem like we ask the Nose to take up double teams as much as some other 34 teams.

-Slightly off the draft topic, what did you think of Brooks' play this weekend? I think he might be better than he's been given credit for.

-Where does Ciron Black rank amongst the OTs taken last year?

-Finally, do you think these are needs that can be answered in FA? Which ones can/can't?

I think Berry is the exception to all the rules. Michael Lewis has been better than expected, and was a solid pickup (one of the best by the Niners), but his upside is limited. On the other hand, Berry has the potential to be a perennial All-Pro, a major difference maker in the way of Polamalu or Reed.

I wouldn't touch Cody until late in the first round, at best. I think maintaining weight is going to be a huge issue for him, and I do not see the athleticism of some of the other jumbo-sized NT's in the NFL.

Suh is going to be a 4-3 undertackle, or 3-4 defensive end. I think it would be a waste to put him as a 3-NT.

Spencer is a really good player. The sacks will come. He's generating pressure, and playing well. I think he's better than anything on our roster at the OLB.

Brooks made one terrific tackle, which really disrupted one of the Vikings' drives. It was a very good play. Outside of that one play, I don't believe he distinguished himself, and I don't see the ability to attack the passer as one that will help him crack a starting lineup. He's simply a reserve.

I'd rank Black below all of the first round OT's in the 2009 draft. He's strickly going to be a RT in the NFL, unlike Smith, Monroe, and Oher, who all have LT potential. A. Smith was the best run blocking OT in the draft.

Impact players in free agency have virtually dried up. It is hard to compete with 31 other teams for four or five difference-makers, especially when most teams are located on the eastern portion of the country, and most NFL players would rather stay close to home, if dollars and cents are matched.

Cheers.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I had the chance to see Benn live this week at the Illinois-Ohio State game. This is a kid who is going to surely get overdrafted if he runs a fast forty time, because he is simply not that good.

He is a fast player on the field, but not nearly as explosive as the DeSean Jacksons, Ted Ginn, Jr.s, Jeremy Maclins of the world. Didn't see the burst at all.

Benn needs to be broken down in his route running. Just too sloppy to make a difference at the next level.

I know many see him as a first rounder, but I've got to be honest, I was really let down by his play. He was just not a difference maker at all, and appears to be a third round prospect more than a first rounder.

Benn is a first rounder if he stays and gets more work in in his senior year. Right now, he's a late first based on potential. He releases from press-coverage well due to his strength and physicality, and obviously he moves extremely well for his size. Reminds me somewhat of Marques Colston.

I'd never expect a guy at 6-2 220 to be as explosive or as quick as a 5-10 170 pound receiver like Jackson or Johnson; that's obviously just not possible.

He really needs a senior year. I'm just not sure he'll want to stick around with the QB's on the roster next season, and the system they play.

One note: If Benn is 6'2", then I'm as tall as Shaq. I think this will be more like the Michael Crabtree measurement where a 6'2" receiver is more like 6' 1/2". He's not 6'2", even though that is high listing.

I do think it'd benefit him the most. And yes, I think Benn has been list most of the time at around 6-1 actually.

It's easy to admit that Dez Bryant is simply better in virtually every way ahead of Benn. Toughness, hands, route-running, you name it. Both are versatile threats, however, and Bryant might not be quite as strong of a blocker.

Still, if we're focusing on this year's WR's. I like Marshawn Gilyard better than any of them. The man can move so quickly from side to side, and is just so good at making defenders miss. Very smooth, great hands, great leaping ability, and also the ability to return kicks. Probably my favorite receiver of this senior class.

Gilyard is a winner. Just a great college receiver. At the same time, I tend to think he'll end up being a third rounder. However, you never know.
Gurus, what's your take on DE/LB Eric Norwood (South Carolina)?

He doesn't get much attention, but he's having another great season and has to be considered among the nation's top pass rushers.

Thanks in advance.
Originally posted by strickac:

He doesn't get much attention, but he's having another great season and has to be considered among the nation's top pass rushers.

Thanks in advance.

One of this and last year's best. Really, really like the kid. If he hadn't pulled out of the draft last year, he would've been a guy I would have hoped we targeted. What he lacks in height, he makes up for in tenacity. He's a fierce competitor and has the speed and strength to make up for that lack of height, as well as a high-motor.

Eric Norwood has first-day talent.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 3, 2009 at 00:04:37 ]

Thanks in advance.

One of this and last year's back. Really, really like the kid. If he hadn't pulled out of the draft last year, he would've been a guy I would have hoped we targeted. What he lacks in height, he makes up for in tenacity. He's a fierce competitor and has the speed and strength to make a high-motor.

One of the greatest headaches for coaches and scouts is where to put this guy on their board. If he was 6'3", he'd be a no-brainer first rounder. However, when he hits the tape at 5'11" 1/2 at the combine, what in the world is going to happen?

This will be one of the fiercely debated topics as the draft approaches. Is he simply too short to be drafted early?

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Oct 2, 2009 at 20:13:40 ]

Thanks in advance.

One of this and last year's back. Really, really like the kid. If he hadn't pulled out of the draft last year, he would've been a guy I would have hoped we targeted. What he lacks in height, he makes up for in tenacity. He's a fierce competitor and has the speed and strength to make a high-motor.

One of the greatest headaches for coaches and scouts is where to put this guy on their board. If he was 6'3", he'd be a no-brainer first rounder. However, when he hits the tape at 5'11" 1/2 at the combine, what in the world is going to happen?

This will be one of the fiercely debated topics as the draft approaches. Is he simply too short to be drafted early?

Who would you say is the best pass rusher in this draft class (assuming underclassmen on the fence do come out)?

Thanks in advance.

Wow, I have no idea what I was writing there -- tons of typos (now fixed) -- My guess at this point is that he'd go in the 2nd round. This is without knowing any combine workout numbers, etc. -- But that's my guess.

There have been short linebacker prospects in the past that have gone in the first, but you need to be ultra talented. I don't know if Norwood is on that level. A second question is -- When he weighs in.. is he going to have linebacker weight, or DE weight? It'd seem a little odd having a 5-11 260 pound end. He was around that last year. I think he's best suited keeping himself in the 250's if he can. His best shot will be at linebacker in the NFL.

Thanks in advance.

He was just a disruptive force in the Ole Miss game!
Share 49ersWebzone