LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

The 2010 Draft Class is Overrated

At the end of last year, most experts stated that the 2010 draft class would be a better class than the 2009 version.

After the first four weeks of the season, I'm not sure I agree with that assessment. Here's why:

1) The OT class is not as strong as the 2009 crop. Many of the top graded OT's may struggle with the LT position in the NFL, and may have to play at RT. I do not see the depth in talent as last year's class: Smith, Monroe, Smith, Oher. Okung is a good player, but is he better than any of the top four guys last year? I'm not sure.

2) There may not be even one stud first round running back in this draft. If Jahvid Best decides to stay in college, the entire first round may pass without one running back. Both Best and CJ Spiller are smaller backs, under 200 pounds.

3) The WR class looks like one early first rounder in Bryant (top 12 pick), and maybe LaFell (last first rounder). The two Williams boys are both juniors, and could be first rounders. But, I'm not so sure they will emerge as first rounders.

4) Both Jermaine Gresham and Sam Bradford looked like terrific first round prospects (if they left early), but are both attempting to heal, and may not be ready to move to the draft in 2010. I expect Gresham to use a medical redshirt and return, and Bradford to also bypass the draft if he is not sharp the rest of the season.

5) The center class is not in the same caliber as last year's, when a host of talented prospects entered the draft. The guard class is also mediocre, at best.

6) The QB class could emerge as solid, but Tebow's injury, and some shaky play by Snead has really taken some of the luster off this class. LeFevour may emerge as the second best prospect after McCoy, and maybe even Tony Pike makes a push, but once again, is this group better than Stafford, Sanchez and Freeman? I used to think so, but am not so convinced anymore.

The saving grace is that while the offensive side of the ball is dropping like a rock, the defensive end appears to be pretty solid.

Eric Berry and Ndamukong Suh are pulling away as the best two defenders in this draft, and are absolutely terrific. Sean Weatherspoon and Ricky Sapp have played at a high level (at the same time, they've got to move Weatherspoon out of the MLB position, he's better as a Sam). The jury is still out on Taylor Mays. You know he is going to run well, and work out well. However, this was his year to start showing the world that he could force turnovers, and to this date, is still without an INT for the year (USC fans may want to fact check this for me, but I am pretty confident, since he's been out two weeks now). Gerald McCoy looks solid, Terrance Cody looks fat and unmoveable, and while Carlos Dunlap is not doubt a terrific college player, is he going to be a 4-3 DE, 3-4 DE, or 4-3 DT at the next level. Nobody seems to know.

So, while the 2010 class may emerge to be better than the 2009 class, as time passes we may see little to no difference in talent compared to last season.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Sep 27, 2009 at 8:55 PM ]
guess it's a good thing we need a RT and not a LT

But I agree about the quarterbacks, I don't think I'd be happy if we chose one in the first round.
I agree. It looked to be better at first glance, but not anymore. While I think LaFell is emerging as a polished receiver, I think after Dez Bryant and Benn, I expect Gilyard to be a strong contender for a spot in the first round come April if he keeps up the great work.

If anything, the only heavy positions of strength in the upcoming draft are going to be defensive spots.

Among safeties, you've got guys Chad Jones rising, and the already "top" prospects in Berry, Mays, and Morgan Burnett. As for CB's -- I think Joe Haden, although a junior, is one of the best.

Favorites among the pass-rushers are Eric Norwood (of course, I had hoped when he briefly declared last year that we would be eying him, but he decided to stay), Lindsey Witten, and Derrick Morgan. Brandon Graham is playing well, too.

Other eyebrow-raisers are Jason Worilds and Cliff Matthews. (Both underclassmen).

A guy who caught my eye is Pittsburgh's Mick Williams. Smallish, I'm sure, for the NFL.. being only a little over 6-0 280 pounds, but you can't ignore his production. Through 4 games? He has TEN tackles for loss and two sacks. Impressive. I watched him dominate with 4.5 of those at N.C. State.

Guys who aren't impressing me? DE Willie Young, OLB Ricky Sapp, DE George Selvie.
I think that with the impending rookie cap scale, that you'll see a ton of juniors declaring and that this could become a really, really talented draft class. Either way, the Defensive players are definitely the jewels of the class...
  • cw9er
  • Info N/A
we need pass rush!! Maybe even use both first round at this position. Then O.L. Then a safety. Don't let me down Scotty.
I think what sets this apart is the talent at the top of the draft. McCoy, Suh, Eric Berry, Dez Bryant, Russell Okung and Bradford (if he comes back well from the injury), makes this class one of the best at the top in years imo.

What I like about this is that our needs match up very well with what this draft is stron and deep in. Safety, Right Tackle, and 3-4 OLB.

I'm hoping that with Carolina's pick we can get high enough to get Berry, the right tackle looks pretty deep, and the pass rusher class look ridiculously deep (although no elite prospects).
Although the top three QBs (Bradford, McCoy, and Snead) going into this year have not looked all that great, I think their have been a couple of QBs that have emerged like Jimmy Clausen and Jake Locker. I think the TE position has taken a huge hit with UA's Gronkwski and Oklohoma's Gresham out for the year. I just think this years draft class is more D-Line heavy and not much playmakers that we are accustomed to seeing. This is just my two cents
Originally posted by asu49ers:
Although the top three QBs (Bradford, McCoy, and Snead) going into this year have not looked all that great, I think their have been a couple of QBs that have emerged like Jimmy Clausen and Jake Locker. I think the TE position has taken a huge hit with UA's Gronkwski and Oklohoma's Gresham out for the year. I just think this years draft class is more D-Line heavy and not much playmakers that we are accustomed to seeing. This is just my two cents

i don't think Jake Locker is what we need at all (not trying to pick a fight). He is just too raw and I don't think he's going to declare after this season is up -- he needs time to work on mechanics, pro style offense, technique, etc. He reminds me of a poor man's Tim Tebow. I think we need to use our first two picks on a RT (1st pick) and BPA of remaining OLB/DE/FS (2nd pick). Or trade down to get a lower 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder? Either way nobody can deny that our line is a work in progress at best.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
I agree completely, particularly the quarterback class. All the players have serious question marks.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I agree. It looked to be better at first glance, but not anymore. While I think LaFell is emerging as a polished receiver, I think after Dez Bryant and Benn, I expect Gilyard to be a strong contender for a spot in the first round come April if he keeps up the great work.

If anything, the only heavy positions of strength in the upcoming draft are going to be defensive spots.

Among safeties, you've got guys Chad Jones rising, and the already "top" prospects in Berry, Mays, and Morgan Burnett. As for CB's -- I think Joe Haden, although a junior, is one of the best.

Favorites among the pass-rushers are Eric Norwood (of course, I had hoped when he briefly declared last year that we would be eying him, but he decided to stay), Lindsey Witten, and Derrick Morgan. Brandon Graham is playing well, too.

Other eyebrow-raisers are Jason Worilds and Cliff Matthews. (Both underclassmen).

A guy who caught my eye is Pittsburgh's Mick Williams. Smallish, I'm sure, for the NFL.. being only a little over 6-0 280 pounds, but you can't ignore his production. Through 4 games? He has TEN tackles for loss and two sacks. Impressive. I watched him dominate with 4.5 of those at N.C. State.

Guys who aren't impressing me? DE Willie Young, OLB Ricky Sapp, DE George Selvie.

Jerry Hughes:

Through 3 games he has - 18 tkls 5.5 TFLs 4.5 sacks

... most of this was acutally done in two games as he only had two tackles yesterday.

I agree with some of this post. I think your over estimating the 2009 OTs. While Oher is the real deal at RT, Okung and Trent Williams have this same type of talent. As for Monroe and the Smiths, I don't see pro-bowl potential from these three. A. Smith will eat himself into a RT spot. Jason Smith was over hyped and will be an average LT in the league. Will he be better than Bulaga? I am not sold that he will be. So really, the 2009 class will be as good as the 2010, I believe over time. I also disagree about Bradford. It is his ability to red defenses and his accuracy that makes him so valuable. He has the potential to be the next P. Manning. Out of the three QBs listed, would you want Bradford, Stafford, or Sanchez? It is way way to early to declare the QBs in this class a bust, or even over-hyped.
It is still early in the year so they still have time to round into shape. The OT class looks very diverse to me with possibly a nice small group of Joe Staley type's coming out.
Because MadDog says it it must be true!!!

I had the chance to see Benn live this week at the Illinois-Ohio State game. This is a kid who is going to surely get overdrafted if he runs a fast forty time, because he is simply not that good.

He is a fast player on the field, but not nearly as explosive as the DeSean Jacksons, Ted Ginn, Jr.s, Jeremy Maclins of the world. Didn't see the burst at all.

Benn needs to be broken down in his route running. Just too sloppy to make a difference at the next level.

I know many see him as a first rounder, but I've got to be honest, I was really let down by his play. He was just not a difference maker at all, and appears to be a third round prospect more than a first rounder.
My opinion by position:

Better or Worse than 2009?

QB - About the Same
RB - Worse
TE - Worse
WR - Worse
OL - Worse (significantly)

DE - Better
DT - Better
OLB - About the Same
ILB - Worse
CB - Worse
FS - Better (slightly)
SS - Better

Looking at all the possible prospects, it's very apparent that this year's talent is far inferior. I still think three top QBs will emerge, like Sanchez, Stafford, and Freeman did last year. If Bradford is healthy and declares, I'd imagine it would be McCoy, Tebow, and him.
Share 49ersWebzone