There are 204 users in the forums

JERRY HUGHES - TCU

Originally posted by SF69ers:
As of now, Jerry Hughes is a legitimate 2nd round selection. Most likely the top half of the 2nd. However, if we performs well in the Combine (which I think he will) I think he may be the first 3-4 OLB taken in the draft.

He won't make it to the 2nd round. Someone will pick him up.
As of now, Jerry Hughes is a legitimate 2nd round selection. Most likely the top half of the 2nd. However, if we performs well in the Combine (which I think he will) I think he may be the first 3-4 OLB taken in the draft.

He's playing a lot better than a 2nd rounder. The workouts will only help him due to his athletic ability.

If we walk away with Hughes and Bryan Bulaga in the first round I'll be a very happy man.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

He won't make it to the 2nd round. Someone will pick him up.

True... We're gonna need to spend our 2nd first rounder on him as Ive said from the beginning.
Originally posted by genus49:

He's playing a lot better than a 2nd rounder. The workouts will only help him due to his athletic ability.

If we walk away with Hughes and Bryan Bulaga in the first round I'll be a very happy man.

Actually, Hughes is not playing that well at the moment. He has been help without a sack for the last two games (UNLV and San Diego St.) which are not exactly powerhouses. TCU faces a big test against Utah this week and Hughes will definitely need to play well against another ranked opponent. Mad Dog also pointed out that Hughes almost always lines up as a weakside OLB/pass rusher, like Parys Haraylson. 2nd round is actually a good call right now.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by genus49:

Actually, Hughes is not playing that well at the moment. He has been help without a sack for the last two games (UNLV and San Diego St.) which are not exactly powerhouses. TCU faces a big test against Utah this week and Hughes will definitely need to play well against another ranked opponent. Mad Dog also pointed out that Hughes almost always lines up as a weakside OLB/pass rusher, like Parys Haraylson. 2nd round is actually a good call right now.

Last year he was primarily the strong-side DE and accumulated 15 sacks... He has had a bit of a dropoff in production - but that is to be expected from someone who led the nation in sacks last year and started this year off by getting 9 in his first 6 games... Teams have severly rolled extra protection to his side by using backs and unbalanced alignments with 2 TE's rolled to his side.

Consequently, the production of his teammates has seen a steady increase. Once some of the extra attention dissipates, he'll be back to his old self.

If Larry English went in the mid-first last year, this guy will definately follow suit. He will be a first rounder - NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!
Well...I'd say Hughes met the challenge. The guy has been harassing the Utes QB like he's his ex boyfriend.

I don't recall his stats but he has at least 1 sack a bunch of tackles, several for a loss and has been pressuring them on almost every drop back.

The fact that they didn't double team him more is a head scratcher.

I would love to see Hughes drop back a bit more to see how he'd look in pass coverage but as a rusher he's a stud. I would have no problems with us drafting him in the first round.
Yes he had a great game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BWIcKqReGk

Watch the first 3:00 of these week 11 highlights... Hughes was an absolute beast against Utah.
Originally posted by abowers1984:

Watch the first 3:00 of these week 11 highlights... Hughes was an absolute beast against Utah.

It's silly just watching him blow by that tackle over and over and over... Did Hughes ever line up on the right side?
Originally posted by dhp318:

It's silly just watching him blow by that tackle over and over and over... Did Hughes ever line up on the right side?

Nope, not in this game and not most of the year either. He definitely plays the weak side of the defense almost exclusively.

Hughes is a man playing amongst boys.....he reminds me of Dumervil...not great height but uses great technique and has a non-stop motor.....Please let us pick him

Nope, not in this game and not most of the year either. He definitely plays the weak side of the defense almost exclusively.

If you can rush the passer you can rush the passer. Some guys have it some guys dont

Hughes is a hard working kid who has excellent speed and has legit pass rush moves. If he shows off ability to convert to OLB in a 3-4 and I believe he can he'll make some team very happy.

Hopefully it's this team.

The right-side of the defense is normally the weakside (blindside)... In this game and most of last year, he primarily played on the left-side or strongside of the defense, but most of this year he has lined up on the weakside.
[ Edited by abowers1984 on Nov 28, 2009 at 3:59 PM ]
wow, it is very nice to see the youtube that jerry hughes look very good play football at DE.. I wanna jerry huges go to the 49ers
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
wow, it is very nice to see the youtube that jerry hughes look very good play football at DE.. I wanna jerry huges go to the 49ers

Ahmm yeah what he said ;)

Make it happen Scotty M. One Jerry enters the HOF as a niner and another one begins his HOF career as a niner(crosses fingers)
[ Edited by genus49 on Nov 28, 2009 at 3:54 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone