LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 291 users in the forums

JERRY HUGHES - TCU

For those who you who have not yet heard of this kid - do some research!!! In 2008, he was the leader of TCU's top ranked defense while pacing the nation in sacks with 15... and is off to another fast start this year.

At 6'3" 257lbs, he is the perfect size for a pass-rushing 3-4 OLB in the NFL, and his combination of quickness and strength conjures images of a Lamar Woodley or Larry English. He is able to consistently get pressure on the QB with an explosive first step off the line and playing with excellent leverage - consistently gets under the pads of OTs and bull rushes them back two to three steps before opening up his large tool box of rush moves and redirecting either outside or inside.

Here's a quick look some of his game tape from last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwiD6xHX3Nw

And you can keep an eye on his production this year @ http://cfbstats.com/2009/player/698/1007635/index.html - As you can see, Virgina's OTs didnt stand a chance.

This kid will undoubtedly represent one of the rare occurences where team need and perceived value actually overlap in the 1st round... I dont expect him to go in the top 15 next year with more heralded players like Gregg Hardy and George Selvie on the table, but feel that he would be perfect for our 2nd 1st rounder.

Positioning him opposite of Parys Haralson would provide our defense with two blue-chip pass rushers who can also be extremely stout against the run - And we will finally have the combination we've been looking for since transitioning to the 3-4.
He's definitely someone we should keep an eye on. I wasn't overly impressed with him in the few games I saw (looked a bit stiff, and didn't have much variety in his moves), but he's definitely talented and does have an explosive first step.
He would be awesome opposite parys haralson. definitely someone to keep an eye on.
I've been watching a few clips on this guy and he would be great in our defense.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
For the draftniks looking for a possible gem, keep an eye on Marcell Gipson CB from Wyoming. He was a beast against Texas. He is small but plays big.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
He would be awesome opposite parys haralson. definitely someone to keep an eye on.
Originally posted by kstolai:

If any of you get a chance to watch him this weekend - do so... He never dissappoints, which is what makes him so impressive. Even when all eyes are watching, including the defenses'
  • Ether
  • Veteran
0:11-0:24

It's like the Right Tackle wasn't even there
Originally posted by abowers1984:
Originally posted by kstolai:
If any of you get a chance to watch him this weekend - do so... He never dissappoints, which is what makes him so impressive. Even when all eyes are watching, including the defenses'

what time/channel will TCU be on? if its on saturday the same time as the cal game i probably wont get a chance to see but if its not and its on espn or another channel i'll definitely make an effort to watch him.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Yep, he's on my list

I'd really like Hardy (Ole Miss) or Hughes with one of our first round picks
[ Edited by cools on Sep 24, 2009 at 10:42 AM ]

I would take him with either one of our 1st rounders. Would prefer with the early pick.
Just to update the masses, this past weekend Hughes once again showed the type of disruptive force that he can be on a weekly basis:

Statline: 8 tckls, 2 TFLs, 1.5 sacks

Again I must reiterate, what separates Jerry Hughes from the other top DE/OLBs in the nation is his consistency on a week to week basis. On the season, he now has 26 tckls, 7.5 TFLs, and 6 sacks in 4 games - which projects to about 78 tckls, 23.5 TFLs, and 18 sacks on the season.

I wasnt lying when I said this kid was a beast... As a matter of fact, I probably under estimated his abilities when I first created this thread, as I now feel that if we want this kid (and I can assure you that we do), we will probably have to use our 1st pick on him depending on where our two first rounders fall.
I love watching TCU's defense and I really like this kid. Wouldn't be at all disappointed if we got him. Certainly much more dominant than Everette Brown.
I would be perfectly fine with Hughes for our second first round pick (take OT with first pick). Just as long as its not Sergio Kindle who is overrated.
Originally posted by abowers1984:
Just to update the masses, this past weekend Hughes once again showed the type of disruptive force that he can be on a weekly basis:

Statline: 8 tckls, 2 TFLs, 1.5 sacks

Again I must reiterate, what separates Jerry Hughes from the other top DE/OLBs in the nation is his consistency on a week to week basis. On the season, he now has 26 tckls, 7.5 TFLs, and 6 sacks in 4 games - which projects to about 78 tckls, 23.5 TFLs, and 18 sacks on the season.

I wasnt lying when I said this kid was a beast... As a matter of fact, I probably under estimated his abilities when I first created this thread, as I now feel that if we want this kid (and I can assure you that we do), we will probably have to use our 1st pick on him depending on where our two first rounders fall.

This kid is very good & I enjoyed watching him. He would be great in our defense for sure.
Share 49ersWebzone