LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

JERRY HUGHES - TCU

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Don't you think Hughes will go top 10?
I doubt it seeing as the only teams willing to spend a 1st rounder on him will be 3-4 teams which basically splits the field in half. Regardless, with how glaring our need at that position is... I certainly would not object to spending our 1st 1st rounder on him then grabing an OT with the 2nd.
Originally posted by abowers1984:
I doubt it seeing as the only teams willing to spend a 1st rounder on him will be 3-4 teams which basically splits the field in half. Regardless, with how glaring our need at that position is... I certainly would not object to spending our 1st 1st rounder on him then grabing an OT with the 2nd.

If the Niners draft around 10 with the Panthers pick and then around 18 for their own pick I wonder if Hughes will be around later so that the Niners can take an OT first.

You are a USC guy.. what do you think of Charles Brown? Would he be worth a top 10 pick in next yrs draft. I think Okung will be long gone and there is no question that OT has to be the #1 priority for this team.

Rd 1 Brown
Rd 1 Hughes
Rd 2 Best OG available or a 3rd down back who can also be a returner (Spiller would be perfect but he will be gone by then)
Brown is certainly a quality player... but he's not a 1st rounder. He has a very slight build even for a LT and needs to add weight an strength. If he's able to do so without any significant decrease in his foot speed, he could be an early to mid 2nd rounder.

As it stands right now, my obvious choices for our our 1st pick (assuming around #10) are Eric Berry, Ndamukong Suh, and Russel O'Kung - in that order. But if all are gone, I would entertain the idea of trading down for a mid 1st and an additional 2nd, then grab Jerry Hughes with 1A and Bryan Bulaga with 1B. Bulaga is an ideal RT prospect as he possesses an excellent combination of size, strength, and agility.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by abowers1984:
Brown is certainly a quality player... but he's not a 1st rounder. He has a very slight build even for a LT and needs to add weight an strength. If he's able to do so without any significant decrease in his foot speed, he could be an early to mid 2nd rounder.

As it stands right now, my obvious choices for our our 1st pick (assuming around #10) are Eric Berry, Ndamukong Suh, and Russel O'Kung - in that order. But if all are gone, I would entertain the idea of trading down for a mid 1st and an additional 2nd, then grab Jerry Hughes with 1A and Bryan Bulaga with 1B. Bulaga is an ideal RT prospect as he possesses an excellent combination of size, strength, and agility.

• rtj03
  • Veteran
I have not seen any of TCU's games. What is it about this guy?

What kind of D does TCU run - 3/4 or 4/3? Can he cover or is he just a pass rusher?
I just know this guy can flat out ball & get after the QB.
Well right now at TCU he is really just asked to come after the passer so who knows if he can hold up in coverage but I do think he can play OLB in the 3-4 and just let him attack the QB/Ball carrier.

I like this kid a lot, would look great in the 49ers uniform.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Well right now at TCU he is really just asked to come after the passer so who knows if he can hold up in coverage but I do think he can play OLB in the 3-4 and just let him attack the QB/Ball carrier.

I like this kid a lot, would look great in the 49ers uniform.

Non stop motor, leader of a very good defense,
Would be great 2nd round pick for us:

Rd 1:
Pick 1A OT Bryan Bulaga or Charles Brown
Pick 1B move down from top 12 pick to 20s - pick up 2nd rd pick
Pick 1B OG Mike Iupati

Rd 2
Pick 2A OLB Jerry Hughes, Eric Norwood,Brandon Graham, Sergio Kindle
Pick 2b FS Morgan Burnett

2 rounds.. 4 great players at need positions... I would be very happy with this

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Rd 1:
Pick 1B OG Mike Iupati

Rd 2

You just stole my mock...
He's a classic tweener....at 6'1 he would be more effective as an OLB in a 3-4(he currently plays DE in a 4-3)....he reminds me a lot of James Harrison.....not great height but he has a non-stop mptor and long arms that negate those issues.

I would love to get him in the second round....even if we have to trade up....if we can walk away with a RT, SS and OLB on day 1.....I will be extremly happy.

I think we need a SS more so than a FS....Goldson's not great but he flashes from time to time...but more importantly...Reggie Smith IMO will be our starting FS for years to come.

[ Edited by Ninerbowl6 on Nov 8, 2009 at 19:41:18 ]
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Rd 1:
Pick 1B OG Mike Iupati

Rd 2

You just stole my mock...

Well.. when you put your mock together make sure you mention my name
As of now, Jerry Hughes is a legitimate 2nd round selection. Most likely the top half of the 2nd. However, if we performs well in the Combine (which I think he will) I think he may be the first 3-4 OLB taken in the draft.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
As of now, Jerry Hughes is a legitimate 2nd round selection. Most likely the top half of the 2nd. However, if we performs well in the Combine (which I think he will) I think he may be the first 3-4 OLB taken in the draft.

I would really like to get this guy even if we have to trade up from our second rounder.
Share 49ersWebzone