LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 292 users in the forums

49ers to Target the 2010 QB Draft Class???

I am strictly talking about talent on the offensive side of the ball. Oklahoma's TE Gresham is the best TE in the country and will be a 1st Rd pick this year (could've been last year) and the receivers/o-line/rb's he had last year and will have this year.

By no means am I saying that McCoy is going alone, but I'm saying that Bradford has a better supporting cast.

BTW--I looked at more video of Snead after my post and was even more impressed than earlier. The guy does a nice job with pocket pressence, always looking down field and can run when he needs to. He has a great arm and can make all the throws. Does a nice job looking off coverage and making throws.

The opportunity I see with him is he just needs more experience with reading defenses and game experience. He should get plenty of that with another season in the SEC and I wouldn't be surprised if this guy is a top 5 pick next season if he progresses.
Hopefully not if Nate Davis becomes the QB many think he can be. I'd love to bring Davis along slowly and use our 2 firsts in '10 on OLB/NT/OL!!!

Originally posted by domesik:
Hopefully not if Nate Davis becomes the QB many think he can be. I'd love to bring Davis along slowly and use our 2 firsts in '10 on OLB/NT/OL!!!

i still think we should take a QB. worst case scenario we use a pick on a QB and Davis is better. best case we could end up with two very good QB's and have a chargers scenario like they had with brees and rivers. then we can trade one if need be. i think u keep trying until u find a franchise QB, we dont have one, until we do we will never be an elite team. how many of the current top teams dont have a great QB?
Jevan Snead is the only NFL style QB coming out next year. Bradford has never had to evade a rush in his career and Tebow and McCoy are spread offense guys.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by bigwads:
Jevan Snead is the only NFL style QB coming out next year. Bradford has never had to evade a rush in his career and Tebow and McCoy are spread offense guys.

Your kidding me right wads, hope your not basing this off Youtube highlights.
Originally posted by alwaysa49erfan:
Originally posted by 52isabeast:
I don't like Bradford....I said it! Sorry but a guy who only plays in a shotgun formation and anytime there is pressure on him struggles (see Florida game) is someone I don't want. Let someone else grab Tim Couch the second!

I am so-so on Colt McCoy, because I love his mobility and his experience. Incredibly accurate and has MADE HIS TEAMMATES BETTER! I just worry that his arm strength is questionable. He is not working with the same talent level as Oklahoma, but led them to a victory over Oklahoma last year.

I REALLY like Snead and hope that he's the one we get if we end up with one. Tough defensive conference, great skill set (arm, mobility, size, and leadership). More of a traditional QB than Tebow and some others, so let's keep an eye on him.

Tebow is someone I could only justify if it was late in Rd 1 or Rd 2. I do worry about Alex Smith part 2, but love the leadership skills and passion for the game he brings. Singletary did say 'I want winners!'

Doesn't Texas pretty much always have better recruiting classes than OU? Texas is always loaded with top teir talent.

Yes, Texas has the best recruiting in the big12 by far, especially in the state of Texas.
OU has to work harder to get guys across the country because UT immediately locks up the best guys in Texas every year. And let's face it, other than Florida arguably, Texas high school football is unmatched.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Bradford did have one of the best O Lines last year, he rarely had guys in his face.
Originally posted by cestmoi:
Originally posted by alwaysa49erfan:
Originally posted by 52isabeast:
I don't like Bradford....I said it! Sorry but a guy who only plays in a shotgun formation and anytime there is pressure on him struggles (see Florida game) is someone I don't want. Let someone else grab Tim Couch the second!

I am so-so on Colt McCoy, because I love his mobility and his experience. Incredibly accurate and has MADE HIS TEAMMATES BETTER! I just worry that his arm strength is questionable. He is not working with the same talent level as Oklahoma, but led them to a victory over Oklahoma last year.

I REALLY like Snead and hope that he's the one we get if we end up with one. Tough defensive conference, great skill set (arm, mobility, size, and leadership). More of a traditional QB than Tebow and some others, so let's keep an eye on him.

Tebow is someone I could only justify if it was late in Rd 1 or Rd 2. I do worry about Alex Smith part 2, but love the leadership skills and passion for the game he brings. Singletary did say 'I want winners!'

Doesn't Texas pretty much always have better recruiting classes than OU? Texas is always loaded with top teir talent.

Yes, Texas has the best recruiting in the big12 by far, especially in the state of Texas.
OU has to work harder to get guys across the country because UT immediately locks up the best guys in Texas every year. And let's face it, other than Florida arguably, Texas high school football is unmatched.

I give the edge to FL
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jreff22:

Bradford did have one of the best O Lines last year, he rarely had guys in his face.

True he had or has one of the best O-lines in the country but did you guys not see the game vs. Texas, dude was getting harassed early and often.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjYOnv7CMww

And that was just a few highlights from the game. But still I feel Bradford handled the pressure pretty good in that game, from what I remember at least.

True he had or has one of the best O-lines in the country but did you guys not see the game vs. Texas, dude was getting harassed early and often.

And that was just a few highlights from the game. But still I feel Bradford handled the pressure pretty good in that game, from what I remember at least.

I'm just not that motivated by Bradford and chances are he will be the first QB taken, so he should be out of our reach anyways. Truth of the matter is McCoy, Snead, and LeFevour will be our first or second round targets. I just want a smart kid, who can throw accurately, scramble around the pocket, and can produce right away or within 1 year. I'm past this "he needs to learn for 3 years" philosophy, if the kid has a good supporting cast he should be able to go right away ie Sanchez, Flacco, Ryan, Cutler etc etc. Yes I know "busts" happen but if you draft the right kid "magic" can happen as well!

I'm just not that motivated by Bradford and chances are he will be the first QB taken, so he should be out of our reach anyways. Truth of the matter is McCoy, Snead, and LeFevour will be our first or second round targets. I just want a smart kid, who can throw accurately, scramble around the pocket, and can produce right away or within 1 year. I'm past this "he needs to learn for 3 years" philosophy, if the kid has a good supporting cast he should be able to go right away ie Sanchez, Flacco, Ryan, Cutler etc etc. Yes I know "busts" happen but if you draft the right kid "magic" can happen as well!

i still like mccoy, snead is dope too. still hoping for mccoy. with mccoy (smith or hill) and davis as our QB's next year i think were in good shape for the future
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Your right, I'm probably getting my hopes up too high for a player out of our reach. So yes, we might have to look forward to Colt McCoy, Jevan Snead, Dan LeFevour. And I agree, if a QB is good, we should play him, given he has a solid enough O-line and weapons to help with his success. And if new Florida QB coach Scott Loeffler can improve Tebows mechanics the way he did with Tom Brady, Chad Henne, Brian Griese, I'd even consider him. Tebow also mentioned wanting to take more snaps from under center to make him more NFL ready.

Too bad we missed on Cutler and Cassel.

Your right, I'm probably getting my hopes up too high for a player out of our reach. So yes, we might have to look forward to Colt McCoy, Jevan Snead, Dan LeFevour. And I agree, if a QB is good, we should play him, given he has a solid enough O-line and weapons to help with his success. And if new Florida QB coach Scott Loeffler can improve Tebows mechanics the way he did with Tom Brady, Chad Henne, Brian Griese, I'd even consider him. Tebow also mentioned wanting to take more snaps from under center to make him more NFL ready.

I honestly think Matt Cassel is most-likely a product of the Patriots' system.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by PTulini:

I honestly think Matt Cassel is most-likely a product of the Patriots' system.

Or the Chiefs O-line still suck.
Unless the niners stink pretty badly I am not sure that qb is a good choice high up. First off unless that guy has really exceptional talents the costs and risks are too high and I think it would be smart to find another Nate Davis. As for the top picks, I think a top pass rusher is of the most urgent pick and then trade down for OL and safeties.
I am a bit sceptical of safety needs as the niners have some really solid young guys coming up. In fact if they convert Nate Clements to safety, there might be a waste of talent and we should put our resources into OL and Pass Rushers. IMO that second first should be used to trade down maybe twice and pick multiple OL and pass rushers. As we seem pretty well stocked in most areas, I think we need to hit the weak areas hard.
As we have pretty good cap space we can get a vet qb if needed to help out and some mediocre vets like Franklin, Sopoaga, and Evans should be replaced. Unfortunately we may only be able to replace 1. I am really not sure what the coaches see in Roman and the fact Green Bay cut him says our version of quality is not universal. I think Nate Davis at least will be a very solid backup next year. If he does nothing but select his shots he should be pretty effective.
By the way, if Crabtree is targeting to go to a certain team where he feels he will fit, He better realize that it has to be a team without a first and with good cap space. I really doubt if a team could afford Crabtree and another first. That limits his options even more. With his brilliant mind he might have figured out a way to get around that.
Any team that has already spent this years money on a first plus Crabtree's greedy demands plus another first is going out of business quick. It would not shock me to see no team selecting Crabtree as his shenanigans can have major repurcussions thruout the league. I would die laughing if he got middle rounds money next year which I think he probably deserves both on talent and attitude. If that happens his family will have to settle for used junkers instead of caddies. I suspect though from his attitude he would just buy them bus tickets.
Share 49ersWebzone