There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Pass-Rushing Prospects To Start Looking At.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ninertico:
Here's Gil Brandt's Senior List of top DEs

Gil Brandt has Brandon Graham listed at 6 ft. 3/4, other sites have him listed at 6'2"-6'3", who is more right??
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Gil Brandt has Brandon Graham listed at 6 ft. 3/4, other sites have him listed at 6'2"-6'3", who is more right??

Draft Scout has him at 6'1"

You know it will always come down to the combine anyway so for now, take the average...
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

WalterFootball.com and Rivals.com has him listed at 6'3" and 6'2".

Hmmm .... National Football Post has 6'1" as well. I think Draft Scout is the most reliable. I have found data errors at Walter's several times so I always confirm their info. Rival's I don't get much data from there.

That could be a big measurement at the combine. He should be interesting to watch this year.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Hmmm .... National Football Post has 6'1" as well. I think Draft Scout is the most reliable. I have found data errors at Walter's several times so I always confirm their info. Rival's I don't get much data from there.

That could be a big measurement at the combine. He should be interesting to watch this year.

Only reason I bring this up, at the Combine Everette Brown really costed himself some money. Sure that may not be his fault in general, but the people who listed him at 6'4" to 6'3" screwed him. Man, I really thought Everette Brown was our at #43. Oh well now we have more options with our two 1st round picks, I'm over it.
Choices, choices, choices. If the Manny experiment doesn't work out, next year's draft class will have plenty of options for the Niners to FINALLY address the pass rush.
Originally posted by nipplehead:
Keep an eye on Everson Griffen out of SC. Had a monster spring, and has the potential to be better than anyone. The only question is whether he has the mental makeup/work ethic to do so.

He seemed refocused and driven during spring, a fact attributed to the new coaching staff, so watch out. Possible big numbers coming from him this season.

Griffen has a lot of talent, but isn't he only a Junior? Even with a monster year I'd think he would stay for 1 more.
Graham is just about 6-1. He'll probably check in a fraction of an inch lower, I'm thinking.

As for interesting prospects -- SunDevil's handle reminded me, I'll be watching Dexter Davis closely this season.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Graham is just about 6-1. He'll probably check in a fraction of an inch lower, I'm thinking.

As for interesting prospects -- SunDevil's handle reminded me, I'll be watching Dexter Davis closely this season.

Graham, probably won't be a top 15 pick if he is 6'1"-6'0". I can't recall any DE/OLB's that went in the top 15 who were listed that tall or short for that matter.

Graham, probably won't be a top 15 pick if he is 6'1"-6'0". I can't recall any DE/OLB's that went in the top 15 who were listed that tall or short for that matter.

I don't think he was 1st round material either way. Day one, yes. Graham last year and coming into this year is looking at a 2nd-3rd round grade. What he does this year will determine if he can keep that or not.

I don't think he was 1st round material either way. Day one, yes. Graham last year and coming into this year is looking at a 2nd-3rd round grade. What he does this year will determine if he can keep that or not.

OTC, I know that we need a pass rusher, but I usually hate to draft on need. Especially when we can use an upgrade at literally every single position (except maybe C). I know we need a pass rusher, I do, but I also know there will be 2 players in this next draft who I think are absolutely game changing prospects in Berry and Suh. They fit what we do on defense, play positions of need, and are as elite of defensive prospects as I have seen in years. I also like McCoy and think he's got what it takes (though I'm really hoping Hill is the real deal). Basically I'm saying that thee are guys I see as GREAT players. Can you compare any of the pass rushers listed above to these guys?

I'm a huge fan of Dexter Davis, he is just a hard working, no-nonsense, high motor guy. Productive every year and a constant factor on every play. He was a wrestling champ in high school and I think it helps him a lot with his pass rushing with using leverage.

It'll be fun watching him this year because for the first time in his career, there will be other D-Lineman getting some pressure.

Probably a 3rd/4th rounder, biggest question mark IMO is if he has the speed to drop back to OLB in the NFL and he needs to devolop more pass rushing moves.

[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Aug 4, 2009 at 12:29:37 ]
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

OTC, I know that we need a pass rusher, but I usually hate to draft on need. Especially when we can use an upgrade at literally every single position (except maybe C). I know we need a pass rusher, I do, but I also know there will be 2 players in this next draft who I think are absolutely game changing prospects in Berry and Suh. They fit what we do on defense, play positions of need, and are as elite of defensive prospects as I have seen in years. I also like McCoy and think he's got what it takes (though I'm really hoping Hill is the real deal). Basically I'm saying that thee are guys I see as GREAT players. Can you compare any of the pass rushers listed above to these guys?

We definitely should not reach for need. Taking the best player available should absolutely be the priority, and I believe we would do just that. Singletary and Scot both know that. There should be plenty, and I mean PLENTY of depth to choose from next year. If a playmaker like Berry is there for us.. not only could he very likely be the BPA there, he would fill a tremendous need we have lacked for many years at Safety, just in the same way by drafting Crabtree, we've helped solidify a gaping whole at WR that we had failed to solidify for years.

My only hope? That we don't do what we did this year and completely ignore the pass rush again. I liked most of the picks, but at least two I did not feel were BPA picks and pass-rushers were sitting there. But with extra picks, we should be fine, and I can't see us walking away without someone being acquired at that position in the 2010 draft.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 5, 2009 at 19:19:51 ]
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

We definitely should not reach for need. Taking the best player available should absolutely be the priority, and I believe we would do just that. Singletary and Scot both know that. There should be plenty, and I mean PLENTY of depth to choose from next year. If a playmaker like Berry is there for us.. not only could he very likely be the BPA there, he would fill a tremendous need we have lacked for many years at Safety, just in the same way by drafting Crabtree, we've helped solidify a gaping whole at WR that we had failed to solidify for years.

My only hope? That we don't do what we did this year and completely ignore the pass rush again. I liked most of the picks, but at least two I did not feel were BPA picks and pass-rushers were sitting there. But with extra picks, we should be fine, and I can't see us walking away without someone being acquired at that position in the 2010 draft.

My issue is this. If we stay put, a pass rusher very well may be the BPA, however with two picks we have the option of trading up. Is that worth? I feel some players who will be available next year are worth it. None of them are pass rushers however. As for not drafting the BPA last year, I imagine you are speaking of Coffee. I have my own thoughts on that, and even though I feel that we could not have passed up on a RB during last year's draft, he's definately not a player I'm crazy about...while Sidbury is
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home