LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 366 users in the forums

Pass-Rushing Prospects To Start Looking At.

Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Ricky Sapp: No. 7, OLB/DE, 6-4, 245

A flexible defensive lineman who showcases a good first step out of his stance with the ability to drop his pad level and quickly change directions. Is very sudden and exhibits the lateral quickness to instantly cross the face of an opposing linemen and get after the QB. Gets a bit overextended at times when trying to redirect, but possesses the body control to quickly recover.

Lacks ideal girth in his lower half and struggles dealing with any kind of additional attention in the run game. However, he displays a much stronger punch than given credit for and has the length to keep blockers from getting into his frame. Is extremely explosive when asked to slip blocks on the edge and closes very quickly on the ball carrier.

Demonstrates the fluidity to play in space and looks natural dropping off vs. the pass game and assuming a role in zone coverage.

Impression: An ideal 3-4 OLB at the next level who certainly has the skill set to create pressure off the edge.

nfp link

This guy looks like he could be scary.

Sapp has been a bit of a disappointment in that he never bulked up like Gaines Adams managed to do, but the kid does have sick athleticism and would be a very good 3-4 OLB candidate. A lot of our fans actually screamed for him to be our 4-3 OLB the last two years, but a lot of that is because we haven't had stud LB play since Leroy Hill/Anthony Waters.

Once troublesome note on Sapp. He actually tore his ACL in the next to last game of the 2008 regular season. For some reason, he is adamant on skipping a redshirt and playing this season. I don't see any way he's 100% by the start of the season, but he and the coaches both envision him starting game 1 for us.

Before the ACL, he was pushing the 4.4/40 barrier, which is crazy for a DE/OLB, obviously. He needs to develop more moves than the speed rush, which is what Tampa coaches said when they got Gaines Adams. One big thing in Sapp's favor now is that former Tennessee DL coach Dan Brooks came to Clemson to coach the DL this offseason. Brooks has put a ton of linemen in the league (including Haynesworth), and is considered one of the best defensive line coaches in the business.

Hopefully he can show something this year

Just wanted to report that somehow Sapp appears to be 100% after tearing that ACL last November. In fact, our coaches think he might be a step faster. I guess he really busted it in rehab this offseason. I was very skeptical, but I've talked to other skeptics who have been at August practice, and they say he looks like a stud. I'm very excited to see what he can do in Kevin Steele's attacking defense. Steele was just at Bama with Saban as co-defensive coordinator and has formerly worked in the NFL under Capers as Carolina's LB coach. He loves to send people after the QB, so Sapp should get the green light to just go upfield a lot.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Ricky Sapp: No. 7, OLB/DE, 6-4, 245

A flexible defensive lineman who showcases a good first step out of his stance with the ability to drop his pad level and quickly change directions. Is very sudden and exhibits the lateral quickness to instantly cross the face of an opposing linemen and get after the QB. Gets a bit overextended at times when trying to redirect, but possesses the body control to quickly recover.

Lacks ideal girth in his lower half and struggles dealing with any kind of additional attention in the run game. However, he displays a much stronger punch than given credit for and has the length to keep blockers from getting into his frame. Is extremely explosive when asked to slip blocks on the edge and closes very quickly on the ball carrier.

Demonstrates the fluidity to play in space and looks natural dropping off vs. the pass game and assuming a role in zone coverage.

Impression: An ideal 3-4 OLB at the next level who certainly has the skill set to create pressure off the edge.

nfp link

This guy looks like he could be scary.

Sapp has been a bit of a disappointment in that he never bulked up like Gaines Adams managed to do, but the kid does have sick athleticism and would be a very good 3-4 OLB candidate. A lot of our fans actually screamed for him to be our 4-3 OLB the last two years, but a lot of that is because we haven't had stud LB play since Leroy Hill/Anthony Waters.

Once troublesome note on Sapp. He actually tore his ACL in the next to last game of the 2008 regular season. For some reason, he is adamant on skipping a redshirt and playing this season. I don't see any way he's 100% by the start of the season, but he and the coaches both envision him starting game 1 for us.

Before the ACL, he was pushing the 4.4/40 barrier, which is crazy for a DE/OLB, obviously. He needs to develop more moves than the speed rush, which is what Tampa coaches said when they got Gaines Adams. One big thing in Sapp's favor now is that former Tennessee DL coach Dan Brooks came to Clemson to coach the DL this offseason. Brooks has put a ton of linemen in the league (including Haynesworth), and is considered one of the best defensive line coaches in the business.

Hopefully he can show something this year

Just wanted to report that somehow Sapp appears to be 100% after tearing that ACL last November. In fact, our coaches think he might be a step faster. I guess he really busted it in rehab this offseason. I was very skeptical, but I've talked to other skeptics who have been at August practice, and they say he looks like a stud. I'm very excited to see what he can do in Kevin Steele's attacking defense. Steele was just at Bama with Saban as co-defensive coordinator and has formerly worked in the NFL under Capers as Carolina's LB coach. He loves to send people after the QB, so Sapp should get the green light to just go upfield a lot.

He is on my watch list, thanks for the update.
A 3-4-hybrid special

Ricky Sapp

"The more I watch Clemson’s hybrid DE/OLB Ricky Sapp, the more I think he’s at his best when asked to play in space, attack downhill and use his closing speed and length to make plays on the ball. He’s still learning how to keep himself clean when standing up in a two-point stance, but once he deciphers the play, he’s tough to block on the outside. Sapp looks like a guy who could definitely make an impact as a rush linebacker at the next level and will be a very hot prospect for those 3-4 defenses in need of an athletic pass rusher at draft time."

From an NFP.com post on thursdays game against georgia tech.
Another person to consider:

Derrick Morgan (Junior), GA Tech
6'4" 264lbs, 40 time: 4.7

Morgan has already reached the QB five times this season. He recorded 2.0 sacks against Jacksonville St and 3.0 against Clemson.
Originally posted by strickac:

Morgan has already reached the QB five times this season. He recorded 2.0 sacks against Jacksonville St and 3.0 against Clemson.

Every year, you see guys like this with massive improvement, rising from nothing to becoming like stars.

Example? Donald Brown, UConn last year.

Performances like Morgan has put up already -- if he continues, he'll guarantee himself a first-day, if not first round, grade.
No Tyson Alu'Alu?

I think he has a great motor and wouldnt mind seeing him with the 49ers.

3-4 DE end at Cal

Yeah, he wouldnt be a 1st rounder, but I think he would be a good mid-round prospect.

[ Edited by ads_2006 on Sep 12, 2009 at 18:30:26 ]
Originally posted by ads_2006:
No Tyson Alu'Alu?

3-4 DE end at Cal

Yeah, he wouldnt be a 1st rounder, but I think he would be a good mid-round prospect.

These are OLB pass-rushing prospects, which is why a guy like Carlos Dunlap isn't on the list. This list is old by the way. I'm very busy these days, but when I have a chance, you'll see some updates.

Tyson does have some of the good things you look for, although he is lacking in prototypical size, being around 6-2 295.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
No Tyson Alu'Alu?

3-4 DE end at Cal

These are OLB pass-rushing prospects, which is why a guy like Carlos Dunlap isn't on the list. This list is old by the way. I'm very busy these days, but when I have a chance, you'll see some updates.

Tyson does have some of the good things you look for, although he is lacking in prototypical size, being around 6-2 295.

my bad, i started noticing that when i read the list again

Originally posted by strickac:

He is starting off strong. See how he continues to play
Originally posted by Ether:
George Selvie is gonna be a beast!

Hardy and Selvie.
It appears the niners might get the first pick for next year, the way the Panthers are playing. If so I sure hope they trade down as I think drafting any qb at number 1 is risky as well as not being fruitful enough. I think I would trade down a few to a team more desparate then us for a qb and keep on trading down till we get the prize plum we might be searching for. Except for a top pass rusher and OL, I cannot see where we need a real high pick and I think having multiple picks for OL etc from the middle of the first round thru the fourth should yield us some good players. When we have a guy like Nate already, I think a good middle round qb is all we need. I think if we play our cards right we might really get all the talent we need next year. In fact I think we might have more draft picks then we have open needs especially if we can get a trade for Crabtree. I am more and more against acquiring a supposed superstar. I think getting good players in more quantity is a better plan. Very few teams with say an Adrian Peterson have won a superbowl. You need a team and I think spending resources and time for a few stars just makes you perrenial losers. Not to say we should ignore top players but we need to judge really well as to how high we value the picks and we pick players that make us a great team, not a one man show. Good example for us is Crabtree but even if he had turned out different, I would prefer to find more good OL then him.
As far as Im concerned, there is only one option for us to finally grab a pass-rushing OLB who will be a shoe-in for double digit sacks annually:

JERRY HUGHES (OLB) - TCU
6'3" 257lbs
2008 stats: 52 tckls; 19.5 TFL's; 15 sacks; 2 INT's; 1 TD

The kid plays strong-side DE for the Horned Frogs right now and was the leader of their defense last year when they were ranked #1 in the nation. Much like LaMarr Woodley, he possesses an explosive first step off the line and an extensive repetoire of pass rush moves... More noticeable than anything else is the kid's motor - he is relentless in his pursuit of the QB and doesnt stop until the whistle blows.

Being a strong-side DE right now, he would transition seamlessly into our 3-4 defense as the bookend opposite Parys Haralson and should absolutely the 2nd name we call on draft day.
Which one of these guys is going to be the pass rushing beast we need?

Greg Hardy, DE, Ole Miss
Jerry Hughes, DE/OLB, TCU
Von Miller, DE/OLB, Texas A&M
Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas
Ricky Sapp, DE/OLB, Clemson
Eric Norwood, DE/OLB, South Carolina
George Selvie, DE/OLB, South Florida
The person who's not in the list.

Brandon Graham.

The drop-off past Graham I think is substantial. Hardy is injury prone, though talented. Hughes and Miller are probably the next best options, but don't rule out a guy like Austen Lane from Murray State being a late day one pick because of his insane measurables and upside. (Lane is 6-6 258 and clocks in the 4.5's-4.6's)
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 29, 2009 at 8:41 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone