LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 197 users in the forums

Pass-Rushing Prospects To Start Looking At.

Ahh, never too early to talk about the upcoming draft. I will be keeping my eye on Sean Wetherspoon, Jerry Hughes for sure, and Sergio Kindle. It's going to be a fun year.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Ahh, never too early to talk about the upcoming draft. I will be keeping my eye on Sean Wetherspoon, Jerry Hughes for sure, and Sergio Kindle. It's going to be a fun year.

I'm just excited to see, but moreso predict from what I see, the next "hot-riser" and unexpected day one pick to rise the boards.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
It's been a long time since I paid a visit here to make a draft-related post, so here I go with an updated list. Here are some pass-rushing names to know for this upcoming season. As you can tell, the pass-rushing class this year is EXTREMELY deep.

Note: These are not rankings, and players have not been placed in any particular order.

* Denotes Underclassman.

2. Ricky Sapp-OLB-Clemson, 6-4 245 4.58

4. Greg Hardy-DE/OLB-Mississippi, 6-4 265 4.58

7. Jerry Hughes-DE/OLB-TCU, 6-2 252 4.72

8. Sergio Kindle-OLB-Texas, 6-4 242 4.66

9. Eric Norwood-OLB-South Carolina, 6-0 252 4.69

14. Antonio Coleman-OLB-Auburn, 6-2 252 4.87

15. Dexter Davis-OLB-Arizona State, 6-2 255 4.78

16. Rahim Alem-DE/OLB-LSU, 6-3 256 4.79

17. Jermaine Cunningham-DE/OLB-Florida, 6-3 252 4.68

18. Willie Young-DE/OLB-N.C. State, 6-5 250 4.84

21. Auston English-DE/OLB-Oklahoma, 6-3 254 4.76

23. Ugo Chinasa-DE/OLB-Oklahoma State, 6-5 254 4.67 *

24. Jason Worilds-DE/OLB-Virginia Tech, 6-2 245 4.75 *

I noted all your guys and here are the ones I am most interested in watching with the bolded guys my favorites early on.
Can't wait for season to start so can watch these guys play
Ricky Sapp: No. 7, OLB/DE, 6-4, 245

A flexible defensive lineman who showcases a good first step out of his stance with the ability to drop his pad level and quickly change directions. Is very sudden and exhibits the lateral quickness to instantly cross the face of an opposing linemen and get after the QB. Gets a bit overextended at times when trying to redirect, but possesses the body control to quickly recover.

Lacks ideal girth in his lower half and struggles dealing with any kind of additional attention in the run game. However, he displays a much stronger punch than given credit for and has the length to keep blockers from getting into his frame. Is extremely explosive when asked to slip blocks on the edge and closes very quickly on the ball carrier.

Demonstrates the fluidity to play in space and looks natural dropping off vs. the pass game and assuming a role in zone coverage.

Impression: An ideal 3-4 OLB at the next level who certainly has the skill set to create pressure off the edge.

nfp link

This guy looks like he could be scary.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
For me, as it stands right now, it's between Hardy and Selvie and because of injury concerns, I have to lean towards Selvie. Selvie reminds me DeMarcus Ware who I believe is the best pass-rusher in the game today.
Originally posted by Ether:
George Selvie is gonna be a beast!

I agree
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

A flexible defensive lineman who showcases a good first step out of his stance with the ability to drop his pad level and quickly change directions. Is very sudden and exhibits the lateral quickness to instantly cross the face of an opposing linemen and get after the QB. Gets a bit overextended at times when trying to redirect, but possesses the body control to quickly recover.

Lacks ideal girth in his lower half and struggles dealing with any kind of additional attention in the run game. However, he displays a much stronger punch than given credit for and has the length to keep blockers from getting into his frame. Is extremely explosive when asked to slip blocks on the edge and closes very quickly on the ball carrier.

Demonstrates the fluidity to play in space and looks natural dropping off vs. the pass game and assuming a role in zone coverage.

Impression: An ideal 3-4 OLB at the next level who certainly has the skill set to create pressure off the edge.

nfp link

Sapp has been a bit of a disappointment in that he never bulked up like Gaines Adams managed to do, but the kid does have sick athleticism and would be a very good 3-4 OLB candidate. A lot of our fans actually screamed for him to be our 4-3 OLB the last two years, but a lot of that is because we haven't had stud LB play since Leroy Hill/Anthony Waters.

Once troublesome note on Sapp. He actually tore his ACL in the next to last game of the 2008 regular season. For some reason, he is adamant on skipping a redshirt and playing this season. I don't see any way he's 100% by the start of the season, but he and the coaches both envision him starting game 1 for us.

Before the ACL, he was pushing the 4.4/40 barrier, which is crazy for a DE/OLB, obviously. He needs to develop more moves than the speed rush, which is what Tampa coaches said when they got Gaines Adams. One big thing in Sapp's favor now is that former Tennessee DL coach Dan Brooks came to Clemson to coach the DL this offseason. Brooks has put a ton of linemen in the league (including Haynesworth), and is considered one of the best defensive line coaches in the business.
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

nfp link

Sapp has been a bit of a disappointment in that he never bulked up like Gaines Adams managed to do, but the kid does have sick athleticism and would be a very good 3-4 OLB candidate. A lot of our fans actually screamed for him to be our 4-3 OLB the last two years, but a lot of that is because we haven't had stud LB play since Leroy Hill/Anthony Waters.

Once troublesome note on Sapp. He actually tore his ACL in the next to last game of the 2008 regular season. For some reason, he is adamant on skipping a redshirt and playing this season. I don't see any way he's 100% by the start of the season, but he and the coaches both envision him starting game 1 for us.

Before the ACL, he was pushing the 4.4/40 barrier, which is crazy for a DE/OLB, obviously. He needs to develop more moves than the speed rush, which is what Tampa coaches said when they got Gaines Adams. One big thing in Sapp's favor now is that former Tennessee DL coach Dan Brooks came to Clemson to coach the DL this offseason. Brooks has put a ton of linemen in the league (including Haynesworth), and is considered one of the best defensive line coaches in the business.

Hopefully he can show something this year
The 49ers don't draft pass-rushers.

Here's Gil Brandt's Senior List of top DEs
Hardy has to be our #1 prospect at this point. One guy to keep an eye on that could be had in a later round is Austin English...that kid is flat out dominating and fits the profile.
Originally posted by bigwads:
Hardy has to be our #1 prospect at this point. One guy to keep an eye on that could be had in a later round is Austin English...that kid is flat out dominating and fits the profile.

Auston probably could've been picked within the first 4 rounds if he had entered last year. He's got the prototypical size and athleticism, and I'd like to see him more consistently use it, and display it on the field to produce.
Originally posted by ninertico:
Here's Gil Brandt's Senior List of top DEs

I think those are guys he is projecting as 4-3 DE and not 3-4 OLB, I may be wrong though.
Keep an eye on Everson Griffen out of SC. Had a monster spring, and has the potential to be better than anyone. The only question is whether he has the mental makeup/work ethic to do so.

He seemed refocused and driven during spring, a fact attributed to the new coaching staff, so watch out. Possible big numbers coming from him this season.
Share 49ersWebzone