LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 232 users in the forums

Better NFL QB: McCoy or Bradford

Better NFL QB: McCoy or Bradford

I'd take McCoy over Bradford, but I think both have their issues. Bradford strikes me as the type who relies a little too much on being the best player on the field and having the most talent around him.

That will be different this year and will be VERY different at the next level. I'm not sure he has the ability to succeed when he doesn't have the advantage of everyone around him being less talented than he or his teammates.

Colt is the opposite, he's less talented physically, but in terms of leadership and mental aptitude, I see him being much more prepared for the NFL. But I'm not sure he has the physical tools as other pro QBs. But that can be developed more than the mental side of the game.

However, I'm also in the camp the in spite of what some critics think, Tebow may be the best of the bunch. The kid is just a gamer and it has nothing to do with gimmick offenses or trick plays. He can't be stopped. And you can't tell me that guys like Shaun Hill, Kyle Orton, and Chad Pennington (just to name a few) have arms SO much better than his that they can hold down starting jobs in the NFL and yet someone with his skills has no shot.
Originally posted by alwaysa49erfan:
Originally posted by GoFD74:
^^
2008 SEC Championship game highlights

Like any QB, some of his throws where the screen passes and dump-offs, but a few key passes were downfield, and he hit his guy in stride as you'll see.

Most importantly, when down near the goal line, he made very quick, hard and accurate throws to his WRs for TD passes in places where only they could catch the ball. Very impressive.

Dude, showing highlight clips from some of his games shows nothing but he has had some good plays throughout his career. Great. I'm guessing I can Youtube highlights from about 100 other QBs in CFB and have them look good. I don't think anyone is arguing that. The fact is Tebow hasn't been asked to do much. Maybe this year he will be asked to make some real NFL throws. He's great in Urban's system, perfect even. So was Alex Smith. Does the fact that he can run the spread option offense mean he will easily translate to the Pros as a great QB? I think not.

I couldn't agree more with this assessment.
TEBOW

favorite quote, "But it's a lesson: Superman in college can become Danny Wuerffel in the pros."

Dude, the guy asked me specifically if I could find a link to this particular game, so I did. Keep in mind though, this wasn't a highlight film of ALL of this guy's great plays. This was one game, a championship game where he went up against the top defense in the nation for the SEC title, and did so with his best weapon on the sidelines. He not only won the game, but his passing was on-point all game (which people seem to be bashing the most).

So just put this video in context, that's all. Not trying to say that Tebow will make it based on this video/game alone, just showing what he did in a big game in reference to his passing ability.

Is it possible that Tebow could become a bust, of course it is. After watching him for the last 3 years in many SEC games, I tend to think he has the skills/abilities/heart/leadership to be very successful in the NFL. You disagree or you're unsure...that's fine, nothing wrong with that at all.

We'll all just have to wait and see.
[ Edited by GoFD74 on May 4, 2009 at 12:07 PM ]
Originally posted by TommyFrazier:
Tough to say....i have to go break down the tape.

here you go
YOUTUBE.COM
^^

Like any QB, some of his throws where the screen passes and dump-offs, but a few key passes were downfield, and he hit his guy in stride as you'll see.

Most importantly, when down near the goal line, he made very quick, hard and accurate throws to his WRs for TD passes in places where only they could catch the ball. Very impressive.

Dude, showing highlight clips from some of his games shows nothing but he has had some good plays throughout his career. Great. I'm guessing I can Youtube highlights from about 100 other QBs in CFB and have them look good. I don't think anyone is arguing that. The fact is Tebow hasn't been asked to do much. Maybe this year he will be asked to make some real NFL throws. He's great in Urban's system, perfect even. So was Alex Smith. Does the fact that he can run the spread option offense mean he will easily translate to the Pros as a great QB? I think not.

TEBOW

favorite quote, "But it's a lesson: Superman in college can become Danny Wuerffel in the pros."

Dude, the guy asked me specifically if I could find a link to this particular game, so I did.

Is it possible that Tebow could become a bust, of course it is. After watching him for the last 3 years in many SEC games, I tend to think he has the skills/abilities/heart/leadership to be very successful in the NFL. You disagree or you're unsure...that's fine, nothing wrong with that at all.

Sorry Ghost, didn't take my time and quoted the wrong post. I meant to reply to the chain we had just started. In that post you had linked a youtube vid.

I agree that only time will tell. Tim Tebow is certainly a different prospect. It'll be interesting to see how it all unfolds. I love the class of QB's coming out in the next draft. Should be a fun one.
^^

TEBOW

Dude, the guy asked me specifically if I could find a link to this particular game, so I did.

Sorry Ghost, didn't take my time and quoted the wrong post. I meant to reply to the chain we had just started. In that post you had linked a youtube vid.

I agree that only time will tell. Tim Tebow is certainly a different prospect. It'll be interesting to see how it all unfolds. I love the class of QB's coming out in the next draft. Should be a fun one.

No worries...I still can't believe I'm defending Tim Tebow. I don't even like the guy.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
I can't believe Tim Tebow is being mentioned as a NFL QB in this thread.

Tons of running QB's just make plays in college. His jump pass is cute and all but unless he gets drafted by Urban Meyer somehow he is going to fail. Average passer at best.

An average passer doesn't make these types of accurate passes, especially in a conference championship game against the top defense in the country with your big playmaker on the sideline...and this wasn't even one of Tebow's better games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVOGpC_JRHI&feature=related

You might need to reassess your ability to define "average passer."

"Average passers" can hit wide open targets. That video shows more about his receiver's ability to get seperation than Tebow's accuracy. It's not that hard to complete a pass when there is no pressure on you and your receiver has 3 or 4 yards of seperation.
Originally posted by 23zack80:

Tons of running QB's just make plays in college. His jump pass is cute and all but unless he gets drafted by Urban Meyer somehow he is going to fail. Average passer at best.

An average passer doesn't make these types of accurate passes, especially in a conference championship game against the top defense in the country with your big playmaker on the sideline...and this wasn't even one of Tebow's better games.

"Average passers" can hit wide open targets. That video shows more about his receiver's ability to get seperation than Tebow's accuracy. It's not that hard to complete a pass when there is no pressure on you and your receiver has 3 or 4 yards of seperation.

Clearly not all of those WRs were "wide open targets," but it doesn't really matter. You've made up your mind on the guy, even though he was throwing darts to covered WRs in the end-zone and over the middle...that's cool if you choose to ignore that. We'll just have to agree to disagree.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
^^

He did look better in those highlights than whjat I had remembered. I'll give him that. Still not sold on him though.
  • krizay
  • Veteran

Clearly not all of those WRs were "wide open targets," but it doesn't really matter. You've made up your mind on the guy, even though he was throwing darts to covered WRs in the end-zone and over the middle...that's cool if you choose to ignore that. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I started to make the same argument. The only guys who threw to that was covered was his TD's. Even still those passes were nice to the open guys. At worst as you said it shows he's a good decision maker.

LOL but i'm still not sold.
^^

TEBOW

No worries...I still can't believe I'm defending Tim Tebow. I don't even like the guy.

You will once he wears the red and gold

Word association.

I know it'll probably make a lot of you puke and I have to admit I don't have info. on Tebow. But I know he's smart, has a strong arm, can make throws, and is hella tough and athletic.

Back to the word association, every time I see "Tim Tebow" I immediately think "Steve Young" :)
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
I'd take McCoy over Bradford, but I think both have their issues. Bradford strikes me as the type who relies a little too much on being the best player on the field and having the most talent around him.

That will be different this year and will be VERY different at the next level. I'm not sure he has the ability to succeed when he doesn't have the advantage of everyone around him being less talented than he or his teammates.

Colt is the opposite, he's less talented physically, but in terms of leadership and mental aptitude, I see him being much more prepared for the NFL. But I'm not sure he has the physical tools as other pro QBs. But that can be developed more than the mental side of the game.

However, I'm also in the camp the in spite of what some critics think, Tebow may be the best of the bunch. The kid is just a gamer and it has nothing to do with gimmick offenses or trick plays. He can't be stopped. And you can't tell me that guys like Shaun Hill, Kyle Orton, and Chad Pennington (just to name a few) have arms SO much better than his that they can hold down starting jobs in the NFL and yet someone with his skills has no shot.

Interesting view on Bradford. The funny thing is look how Bradford's big weapons did in the draft. Inglesias and Johnson both went late. Bradford does have Gresham to throw to but that's about it as big time names go. Also take a look at the line, Loadholt and Duke went later than expected. Both had flaws and weren't exactly great. Cooper went undrafted I believe. Trent Williams was and probably is their best lineman. I just don't think his talent was that unbelievable around him like everyone assumed.
Originally posted by krizay:

I started to make the same argument. The only guys who threw to that was covered was his TD's. Even still those passes were nice to the open guys. At worst as you said it shows he's a good decision maker.

Isn't that kind of a big deal?
  • yoda76
  • Info N/A
Ok, put it this way....

When's the last time an Urban Meyer QB did anything in the NFL....or when is the last time a Florida QB did anything in the NFL....remember....becoming a bust is not "doing something" in the NFL!

Tebow is a project QB, much like Pat White. But I can't remember the last time a white, running QB did anything in the NFL....since 1986 that is.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:

Isn't that kind of a big deal?

oh yea. Which is why I didn't make that argument.
Share 49ersWebzone