Originally posted by GoFD74:
Originally posted by Apples:
Originally posted by DANADA:
well ill take Bradford

but I want Tebow

Why? He's gonna be terrible.

Hey Apples...I'll bet you $100 Tebow wins a Super Bowl championship before either Bradford or McCoy.

Done!

Tebow is just another big-body, Vince Young type quarterback who wants to run first and pass second.

DEAL!

You clearly haven't seen Tebow play that often. I'm a Tennessee Vols fan and I can't stand the guy, but even I see the overall game he has. His big body and movement in the pocket remind me of BigBen, his arm strength is even better than Steve Young's during his heyday, and his leadership/inspirational skills are a cross between Dan Marino and Brett Favre.

Now, I'm not saying he is a lock to be as good as any of the guys I mentioned above, but I think he has a chance at being that type of NFL QB. The biggest reason for his success in the NFL will be his ability to make plays. When he needs to, and when things are on the line, he has an uncanny ability to make plays either with is legs or through the air. That SOB just gets it done every time...it's amazing to watch.

I use to view you as the most intelligent poster on this forum as far as football goes. Then you go and slap these keystrokes down in this little text box!

But You can't let one play make or break your opinion on a player. So I guess I can't hold this one faux pas against you!

You seriously see him as an NFL QB?

No, I actually see him as a great NFL QB. His only glaring flaw compared to other college QBs is his throwing motion (which to me, isn't a big deal btw), but we have a starting QB on our team that has a funky throwing motion too and somehow that guys makes it work.

Trust me, if Shaun Hill can find success in the NFL with his style/abilities, so can Tim Tebow.
[ Edited by GoFD74 on May 4, 2009 at 10:27 AM ]
To answer the question at hand.. Sam Bradford and it isnt close. McCoy will be lucky if he goes in round 1 and could very possibly be drafted after Tebow in my opinion. Bradford and Snead should be the first 2 off the board next year.
I can't believe Tim Tebow is being mentioned as a NFL QB in this thread.

Tons of running QB's just make plays in college. His jump pass is cute and all but unless he gets drafted by Urban Meyer somehow he is going to fail. Average passer at best.
Originally posted by alwaysa49erfan:
I can't believe Tim Tebow is being mentioned as a NFL QB in this thread.

Tons of running QB's just make plays in college. His jump pass is cute and all but unless he gets drafted by Urban Meyer somehow he is going to fail. Average passer at best.

An average passer doesn't make these types of accurate passes, especially in a conference championship game against the top defense in the country with your big playmaker on the sideline...and this wasn't even one of Tebow's better games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVOGpC_JRHI&feature=related

You might need to reassess your ability to define "average passer."
Ghost.. dont you think that one of the biggest reasons that Tebow has so many doubts about him is because he plays in the spread offense of Urban Meyer and because of Alex Smith's failures thus far? I know that it makes me have questions about him even though I recognize that he has far more athletic ability than Alex Smith.
well ill take Bradford

but I want Tebow

Hey Apples...I'll bet you $100 Tebow wins a Super Bowl championship before either Bradford or McCoy.

Done!

Tebow is just another big-body, Vince Young type quarterback who wants to run first and pass second.

Trade for Vince Young? :)
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Ghost.. dont you think that one of the biggest reasons that Tebow has so many doubts about him is because he plays in the spread offense of Urban Meyer and because of Alex Smith's failures thus far? I know that it makes me have questions about him even though I recognize that he has far more athletic ability than Alex Smith.

That's one issue. The other issue is that Tebow is such a dominant running QB, that people who don't watch him often just assume that's all he can do. Because he's so good at one thing, they don't get that he can be good at the other.

Truth is, Tebow had the 4th best passer rating in the country last year...just below McCoy (who was 3rd) and actually ahead of Sanchez, Stafford, Harrell, Pat White, etc.

When you can pull off a year where you have 30 TD passes and only 4 INTs in a conference like the SEC, you're making real good decisions in the pocket. That's actually one of his strengths...the ability to make good decisions with the ball and get it into the hands of his playmakers. That's really what you want from an NFL QB.
Tebow would have probably been the first QB taken in this year's draft had he declared.
[ Edited by fortyninerglory on May 4, 2009 at 11:16 AM ]
I have to go with Bradford. I think he's a little more "NFL Ready" in terms of reading defenses, etc, than McCoy. I also like his arm strength more.

As for Tebow - if Pat White got drafted to play QB, than so will he. Personally, I think he has a real chance to end up higher rated than both Bradford or McCoy if he works on throwing more and running less next season. But, even if he ends up rated higher at the end of the year, I still wouldn't take him over Bradford (provided Bradford doesn't completely implode next year).
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:
well ill take Bradford

but I want Tebow

Done!

DEAL!

You clearly haven't seen Tebow play that often. I'm a Tennessee Vols fan and I can't stand the guy, but even I see the overall game he has. His big body and movement in the pocket remind me of BigBen, his arm strength is even better than Steve Young's during his heyday, and his leadership/inspirational skills are a cross between Dan Marino and Brett Favre.

Now, I'm not saying he is a lock to be as good as any of the guys I mentioned above, but I think he has a chance at being that type of NFL QB. The biggest reason for his success in the NFL will be his ability to make plays. When he needs to, and when things are on the line, he has an uncanny ability to make plays either with is legs or through the air. That SOB just gets it done every time...it's amazing to watch.

I use to view you as the most intelligent poster on this forum as far as football goes. Then you go and slap these keystrokes down in this little text box!

But You can't let one play make or break your opinion on a player. So I guess I can't hold this one faux pas against you!

You seriously see him as an NFL QB?

No, I actually see him as a great NFL QB. His only glaring flaw compared to other college QBs is his throwing motion (which to me, isn't a big deal btw), but we have a starting QB on our team that has a funky throwing motion too and somehow that guys makes it work.

Trust me, if Shaun Hill can find success in the NFL with his style/abilities, so can Tim Tebow.

I'll be the 1st to admit I don't pay this dude a whole lot of attention. I have seen him play a few times. Other than that ugly a** jump pass all I ever see him throw is wheel routes, every variation of screen passes. With very little "NFL" type routes. He clearly has the arm strength to make those types of passes. I'm also sure you're about to tell me how often he does make those types of passes.

From the few games I've watched. I'd take Alex Smith over Tebow and that's with already knowing what Alex Smith is now! But obviously that's just me.

Don't know if you have the SEC championship game at hand. Or even if you'd care to look this up. But I'm curious to see what his numbers were if you took away all his "screen" passes. Hell for all I know, none of his 22 passes were screens. But I would love to see how accurate he was outside of that "route".

He just doesn't look accurate to me on the passes I have seen him throw that are your more typical NFL routes. But again, I haven't seen him play all that much.

^^
2008 SEC Championship game highlights

Like any QB, some of his throws where the screen passes and dump-offs, but a few key passes were downfield, and he hit his guy in stride as you'll see.

Most importantly, when down near the goal line, he made very quick, hard and accurate throws to his WRs for TD passes in places where only they could catch the ball. Very impressive.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Tebow would have probably been the first QB taken in this year's draft had he declared.

There is no way he would have been taken ahead of Stafford or Sanchez in my opinion. He has won a national title, a Heisman, and if he thought he would have been the first player in the draft he would have come out.

There is no way he would have been taken ahead of Stafford or Sanchez in my opinion. He has won a national title, a Heisman, and if he thought he would have been the first player in the draft he would have come out.

Yah, I don't think Tebow would've gone ahead of Stafford or Sanchez. I do believe he would've gone ahead of Freeman though, especially after teams broke down the film on both and compared the two.

Yah, I don't think Tebow would've gone ahead of Stafford or Sanchez. I do believe he would've gone ahead of Freeman though, especially after teams broke down the film on both and compared the two.

I'd agree unless we're talking about Tampa Bay. Tampa Bay just had too much of a connection w/ Freeman.
^^
2008 SEC Championship game highlights

Like any QB, some of his throws where the screen passes and dump-offs, but a few key passes were downfield, and he hit his guy in stride as you'll see.

Most importantly, when down near the goal line, he made very quick, hard and accurate throws to his WRs for TD passes in places where only they could catch the ball. Very impressive.

Dude, showing highlight clips from some of his games shows nothing but he has had some good plays throughout his career. Great. I'm guessing I can Youtube highlights from about 100 other QBs in CFB and have them look good. I don't think anyone is arguing that. The fact is Tebow hasn't been asked to do much. Maybe this year he will be asked to make some real NFL throws. He's great in Urban's system, perfect even. So was Alex Smith. Does the fact that he can run the spread option offense mean he will easily translate to the Pros as a great QB? I think not.

I couldn't agree more with this assessment.
TEBOW

favorite quote, "But it's a lesson: Superman in college can become Danny Wuerffel in the pros."
Share 49ersWebzone