There are 70 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The 2010 Draft and our 2 1st rounders

• GoatRider
  • Info N/A
Good call. Mays is more of a SS guy and Berry is a much better FS prospect.
Originally posted by SmithGore:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Carlos Dunlap. 6'6 290 pounds 4.7 forty. Can't miss prospect.

I agree but we don't need a 3-4 end. Sure it couldn't hurt, but with J. Smith and 1st round pick Balmer it would make no sense. Unless he lost 20 pounds and became a beast 3-4 OLB

Too good of prospect to pass on. I look at this way. We can move him around the field. Dunlap, Smith, NT, Balmer // Haralson, Dunlap, NT, Smith // Haralson, Smith, NT, Dunlap. Look how the Giants move Justin Tuck around to create mismatches. If a defense can't find a role for a 6'6 290 pound freak we seriously have to question whether or not we want to run this defense. I don't think it's any different than trading for Peppers either.

I understand what your saying, but it's very different in a 3-4 and a 4-3. If we played in a 4-3 I would absolutely love him, and we could move so many different packages around him, but in a 3-4 the D-line is somewhat set, because you need a big NT and then there are just two ends, where he could move around between the two of those, but thats not really getting creative. The linebackers in a 3-4 is where you can make mismatches, by moving them all over the field based on each blitz package. I would like to draft a versatile LB who could move all over the field and get on the line in 4 down sets but in general 3-4 D-lines are much less creative than 4-3's. 3-4 backers are the key.

I disagree Demarcus Ware rushes the passer pretty much every play. 79% of the time to be exact. When Greg Ellis was lining on the opposite side he blitzed 71% of the time too. Carlos Dunlap could be used as Will/SAM we just have to limit the amount of times he drops back into coverage. If you think Peppers fits as a Will then Dunlap also should get some consideration.

Sometimes you have to think outside the box. The beauty of Dunlap is you can play him as a 3-4 DE and use him as a rush DE/OLB as well. We did that with Justin Smith to some extent last season, and Justin Smith is nowhere near the athlete Dunlap is.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on May 2, 2009 at 10:03 AM ]
Cody's fatass is going to drop to the 5th round. Preseason rankings. Half of those guys will drop.
  • SmithGore
  • Info N/A
Carlos Dunlap. 6'6 290 pounds 4.7 forty. Can't miss prospect.

I agree but we don't need a 3-4 end. Sure it couldn't hurt, but with J. Smith and 1st round pick Balmer it would make no sense. Unless he lost 20 pounds and became a beast 3-4 OLB

Too good of prospect to pass on. I look at this way. We can move him around the field. Dunlap, Smith, NT, Balmer // Haralson, Dunlap, NT, Smith // Haralson, Smith, NT, Dunlap. Look how the Giants move Justin Tuck around to create mismatches. If a defense can't find a role for a 6'6 290 pound freak we seriously have to question whether or not we want to run this defense. I don't think it's any different than trading for Peppers either.

I understand what your saying, but it's very different in a 3-4 and a 4-3. If we played in a 4-3 I would absolutely love him, and we could move so many different packages around him, but in a 3-4 the D-line is somewhat set, because you need a big NT and then there are just two ends, where he could move around between the two of those, but thats not really getting creative. The linebackers in a 3-4 is where you can make mismatches, by moving them all over the field based on each blitz package. I would like to draft a versatile LB who could move all over the field and get on the line in 4 down sets but in general 3-4 D-lines are much less creative than 4-3's. 3-4 backers are the key.

I disagree Demarcus Ware rushes the passer pretty much every play. 79% of the time to be exact. When Greg Ellis was lining on the opposite side he blitzed 71% of the time too. Carlos Dunlap could be used as Will/SAM we just have to limit the amount of times he drops back into coverage. If you think Peppers fits as a Will then Dunlap also should get some consideration.

Sometimes you have to think outside the box. The beauty of Dunlap is you can play him as a 3-4 DE and use him as a rush DE/OLB as well.

I agree with you about outside linebacker to some degree. But not about him playing both 34 DE and 34 OLB because for him to play 34 END he would need to add 10 15 pounds and for him to play rush OLB he would need to lose 15-25 pounds. At his current weight he is sort of in between positions in a 34.
  • SmithGore
  • Info N/A
Also I don't know where you found that he blitz's 79% of the time(I'd love a link) but I believe you, that still means that he needs to be able to coverage on 21% of the downs, which Dunlap at his current 290 sure as s**t could not do.
Also I don't know where you found that he blitz's 79% of the time(I'd love a link) but I believe you, that still means that he needs to be able to coverage on 21% of the downs, which Dunlap at his current 290 sure as s**t could not do.

It's an insider link to SteelCityInsider.com so I can't get to the article. I haven't read the article it just happens that stat popped up in the google description. The article is a comparision of Pittsburgh 3-4 to other teams 3-4 defenses.

We definetily have to limit the amount of times Dunlap goes into coverage. The main way to accomplish that is consisantly moving him around. I really see him as a top 3 pick next year so I think this discussion is going to be mute anyways.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on May 2, 2009 at 10:28 AM ]
I don't want anybody right now. We just had a draft. Who cares about next year.
If Bradford is a franchise-level QB, I'd say that we trade up for him. Those kind of guys almost never hit Free Agency, so you almost have to draft them. I like Shaun Hill, but if Bradford is one of those guys, we are in a unique position to acquire him with 2 #1's. I don't think you can pass up on that kind of opportunity.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Watchutalkinbout:

Obviously the people who replied 30 times in thread do.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Half of those guys are going to drop out of the first round anyways.
[ Edited by Watchutalkinbout on May 2, 2009 at 10:37 AM ]
  • SmithGore
  • Info N/A

Were just having a conversation. Why can't people get excited by the fact that we have 2 first round picks in one of the most stacked drafts in recent years. Who do you think is going to fall out of the first round?

Were just having a conversation. Why can't people get excited by the fact that we have 2 first round picks in one of the most stacked drafts in recent years. Who do you think is going to fall out of the first round?

Not sure, but it happens every single year. Alex Boone was supposed to go first round, same with Nate Davis, but look we're there at now.
Originally posted by nipplehead:
Out of that list, Bradford, Mays, Berry, in that order. I don't like McCoy or Tebow as NFL passers, and I haven't watched enough of the OLB to get a good feeling.

Not a huge Cody fan, either.

I sort of agree with you on the passers, and very much so on Cody. I have watched the OLB's and I like Brandon Lang, Hardy, Kindle, Selvie. Look for Brandon lang to be the next Ware. Both 6'4'' 255 out of troy, supper athletic and great rushers.

My only issue; how can you like mays more than berry???? Have you seen both them play? FS is a cover position and Mays can't cover and berry is an amazing ballhawk

No, I have to admit I haven't seen very many UT games. I'm placing Berry up there based solely on the hype he's getting and a few highlight reels of him. I hope to see more of him this year. My reasoning for placing Mays higher is that a) I really like Mays (watched all his games since I am a USC fan) and b) I haven't seen Berry play much. That could definitely change this year.

With respect to the OLB, hopefully Lawson can show he belongs as a starter. If not, though, I'm curious to see how those four guys you named can play. I hear a lot of good things about Kindle/Hardy/Selvie/Lang. Probably heard the most about Kindle, to be honest. Lang sounds interesting, but I've never seen him play - those small school guys always slip beneath my radar.

yeah. Keep an eye out for Lang. He will be a fast riser, and I guarantee a first round pick. Also try to catch any UT games, although they won't be very good, berry is the real deal. He's the next Ed Reed.

I've seen Lang play, and while good, by no means is he guaranteed to make it into the first round. He has some things he does need to work on, and this was very apparent in Troy's bowl game vs. Southern Miss this year. He did finish with a sack, but his play in the run game was particularly lacking.
  • SmithGore
  • Info N/A
Cody's fatass is going to drop to the 5th round. Preseason rankings. Half of those guys will drop.

I agree that Cody will fall. I think hes a horrible prospect. You can't just yawn and say that half of them are going to drop. back it up. Who do you think are going to fall. Which half?
  • SmithGore
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Out of that list, Bradford, Mays, Berry, in that order. I don't like McCoy or Tebow as NFL passers, and I haven't watched enough of the OLB to get a good feeling.

Not a huge Cody fan, either.

I sort of agree with you on the passers, and very much so on Cody. I have watched the OLB's and I like Brandon Lang, Hardy, Kindle, Selvie. Look for Brandon lang to be the next Ware. Both 6'4'' 255 out of troy, supper athletic and great rushers.

My only issue; how can you like mays more than berry???? Have you seen both them play? FS is a cover position and Mays can't cover and berry is an amazing ballhawk

No, I have to admit I haven't seen very many UT games. I'm placing Berry up there based solely on the hype he's getting and a few highlight reels of him. I hope to see more of him this year. My reasoning for placing Mays higher is that a) I really like Mays (watched all his games since I am a USC fan) and b) I haven't seen Berry play much. That could definitely change this year.

With respect to the OLB, hopefully Lawson can show he belongs as a starter. If not, though, I'm curious to see how those four guys you named can play. I hear a lot of good things about Kindle/Hardy/Selvie/Lang. Probably heard the most about Kindle, to be honest. Lang sounds interesting, but I've never seen him play - those small school guys always slip beneath my radar.

yeah. Keep an eye out for Lang. He will be a fast riser, and I guarantee a first round pick. Also try to catch any UT games, although they won't be very good, berry is the real deal. He's the next Ed Reed.

I've seen Lang play, and while good, by no means is he guaranteed to make it into the first round. He has some things he does need to work on, and this was very apparent in Troy's bowl game vs. Southern Miss this year. He did finish with a sack, but his play in the run game was particularly lacking.

thats fair. he is undersized for DE, but I also wasn't by any means saying he is guaranteed first round pick. I am just saying that i THINK he will be one come draft day.