LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 269 users in the forums

Was Hayne right to quit the 49ers and chase Olympic Glory with the Fiji 7s?

Was Hayne right to quit the 49ers and chase Olympic Glory with the Fiji 7s?

• 220s
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Goatie:
There is no doubt he feels a connection with Fiji but that doesn't make it ok for him to just bail on the 49ers Dream without expecting people would be less then happy with his flakiness .

Not like he produced enough last season to be in a position to negotiate a 3 month release to focus on the Olympics.
What he did was probably the fairest all round, he has walked away early enough that he hasn't cost the 49ers anything but at the same time the 49ers still hold his rights so if he has shown enough for them to be interested they can still claim him. Don't expect them to but you never know if they find themselves in the position they were with RB last season and are looking at scrubs off the street.
Originally posted by LockyersLeftBoot:
Originally posted by 4x4niner:
Should we call him the Outback Satan?

Morning 4x4. I see you're maintaining the rage. Carry on champ
Cheers eL eL Bee, but eventually we will all be moving on and the Hayne plane will just fade into the dark dank corner of its hollow history, hopefully by then the 49ers have a renewed enthusiasm and faith to fight the good battle to a super bowl.
Originally posted by 220s:
Good chance this is where it all started
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/sydney-sevens-jarryd-hayne-surprises-fellow-fijians-20160205-gmmyz1.html

I've got a feeling he almost thinks he owes Fiji, he attributes his success to the time spent with Fiji during the 2008 world cup. From what I have read and heard during the 2013 world cup while representing Australia he spent every moment he could with the Fijian squad.

There is no doubt he feels a connection with Fiji but that doesn't make it ok for him to just bail on the 49ers Dream without expecting people would be less then happy with his flakiness .

One was Fiji world cup rugby league and the other rugby sevens. Have the league guys all moved over? Or are they all one big happy family?
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 220s:

Not like he produced enough last season to be in a position to negotiate a 3 month release to focus on the Olympics.
What he did was probably the fairest all round, he has walked away early enough that he hasn't cost the 49ers anything but at the same time the 49ers still hold his rights so if he has shown enough for them to be interested they can still claim him. Don't expect them to but you never know if they find themselves in the position they were with RB last season and are looking at scrubs off the street.

Well it was more convenient to the 49ers he walked when he did for the reasons you outlined. However, I do not believe he did it for such altruistic reasons. He did it at the time he did for his own selfish reasons.

He is entitled to do that but he should have manned up about and told the truth about why he did it rather then sell a big pile of BS. What is he doing next? Running for political office? At least he is good with the spin machine.
I can't believe i steered the great Sus and Chaz into supporting this fake ass fumbling machine,they will never trust me again.
  • titan
  • Veteran
I think the Olympic was an opportunity to escape embarrassment from getting cut in the NFL. Regardless it was a good choice since that is what he is good at.
Originally posted by titan:
I think the Olympic was an opportunity to escape embarrassment from getting cut in the NFL. Regardless it was a good choice since that is what he is good at.

He has already had that happen. It's not the Aussie way to whimp out when the going gets tough. Would rather him try and fail than cut and run.

Apart from PR and winning a piece of metal why is it good? He still has to learn the nuances of that sport.

Its his life not mine but we all live with the consequences of our own decisions.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
^ Yes
Originally posted by titan:

If he had gone back to rugby league, I'd have no problem with that statement. However he has gone to rugby union, more specifically the shortened sevens version.

He has never played the game before... 7s has some of the nuances that rugby union 15s has & a greater anaerobic requirement than both rugby union 15s & rugby league.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
^ And he will be taking the spot of a regular Fijian who had worked hard to get and was possibly a road out of poverty for him. Imagine the disappointment.

Big dog gotta eat - the excitement of playing rugby 7's at the Olympics was just way too much to resist. Hayne is one of only a few nfl players good enough to be in the Olympics. Any other NFL player would do the same if they were good enough to be at the Olympics.
[ Edited by tushdaun on May 20, 2016 at 4:14 AM ]
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Yeah I can see all those champion NFL players who are on the big buck or have the potential to be on them just give it all up for a one off Olympic shot with an underdeveloped Pacific Island Yep smart move
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
While I know nothing about Rugby, I do understand sports, and yeah it seems like it's wrong to take another guys spot, but he has the right to retire, and he could have done it earlier, but it's better he did it now, and not if or when he made the 49ers 53 man roster, and cost a RB or another players job.

^Much of this post is dead on target.^

Hayne's pros & cons up until this point & why a lot of people are angry...

(PROS)

* He earned his fanfare & every accolade he received in RL (Great player).

* Chasing his dream of playing AF was admirable.

* He earned his spot on the 49ers roster & an early starting role in 2015 with a strong preseason.

* He earned the respect of the 49ers & was deemed worthy of remaining on the PS in 2015.

* At times he flashed quality during games in 2015.

* He seemed to fit in well in the locker room.

* He earned a chance to remain with the 49ers in 2016 & compete for a spot on the roster or PS. He also had the opportunity to increase his playing time with a strong showing in workouts, training camp & preseason, if he made it through all offseason competition.

* He made it through the first cuts, It can be assumed by his offseason workout & study performance.

* Hayne did he right thing by the 49ers by respectfully leaving early & giving them time to look at other options.

* He thanked the 49ers for the opportunity.

(CONS)

* He lost his starting role by committing too many errors & mental lapses in 2015.

* 31 other teams had a chance to sign him, they didn't. Instead he cleared waivers & remained on the PS.

* He didn't earn the hyperbolic press coverage & statements that were made about him.

* He led people up the garden path by constantly telling them that he is living the dream in the NFL.

* He did the same by telling them about how much physically & mentally better prepared he is in 2016.

* Competition for roster spots is stronger at the 49ers in 2016 & he didn't rise to that challenge. He never tested his supposedly improved athletic capacity.

* Quitting the NFL for his dream of chasing Rugby Sevens glory in Rio seems like a bald-face lie.

* He didn't earn his inclusion in the Fijian 7s team. In fact he has never played a professional game of Rugby Union or its shortened version.

* A member of the Fijian 7s team could miss selection for the Olympics, in what seems to be a politically influenced publicity stunt to include Jarryd.

* The media circus continues down under with the narrative of a unique dream chaser.

The above is pretty much in chronological order... His 2015 & prior exploits impressed a lot of people, but his 2016 endeavours paint him in a much different light.

Jarryd had his talk with the Fijian 7s team at the Sydney event in February, since that time five tournaments have passed. He did nothing about the alleged dream over the following months.

He then quit the 49ers abruptly & joined up with the Fijian team in London. London is the last tournament of the 2016 circuit & there is almost no way possible he can do enough to impress the selectors in such a short space of time before the Rio Olympics. Yet somehow it seems like he is a sure thing for selection.

If Jarryd had left the 49ers shortly after the Olympic offer was made to him at the Sydney event in February. A decision that would've made him available for the Las Vegas leg in March & had he played well throughout the five tournaments leading up to London, people would have no or less of a issue with his choice.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
While I know nothing about Rugby, I do understand sports, and yeah it seems like it's wrong to take another guys spot, but he has the right to retire, and he could have done it earlier, but it's better he did it now, and not if or when he made the 49ers 53 man roster, and cost a RB or another players job.

Still, a lot of people just wasted time on him. Our coaches could've spent more time with Davis instead of Hayne. It was a b******t move. Imagine if Patrick Willis would've retired, not because of injury, but he just wanted to play another sport. I bet a lot 49er fans would've turned on him.
Who's Jared Hayne?
Share 49ersWebzone