LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Is Curry one of the best offensive players ever?

Is Curry one of the best offensive players ever?

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Wilt Chamberlain did things no one in NBA history has come close to. He averaged 50 points a game for an entire season and averaged 22 rebounds per game over his entire career. He once had 55 rebounds in a game, and scored 100 points in a single game. It wasen't a soft game back then. In this fast media world we're looking for GOAT before the next game starts. The Chamberlain-Russell matchup will never duplicated.

Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell played in an era where they were men going against boys. When the NBA became more and and more loaded with big talent into the 1980's, they were already gone. Put David Robinson or Hakeem Olajuwon in the NBA at that time instead, and theyd be regarded in the same way.
On the other hand there were only 8 teams in the NBA when WIlt joined the league so the talent pool wasn't as diluted as it is today.
Cherokee Parks is the GOAT
Originally posted by BarrySandwich:
Cherokee Parks is the GOAT

Not as good as NBA Legend Daniel Santiago.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:

lol agreed,my apologies to the champ.
Originally posted by BobS:
Wilt Chamberlain did things no one in NBA history has come close to. He averaged 50 points a game for an entire season and averaged 22 rebounds per game over his entire career. He once had 55 rebounds in a game, and scored 100 points in a single game. It wasen't a soft game back then. In this fast media world we're looking for GOAT before the next game starts. The Chamberlain-Russell matchup will never duplicated.

Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell played in an era where they were men going against boys. When the NBA became more and and more loaded with big talent into the 1980's, they were already gone. Put David Robinson or Hakeem Olajuwon in the NBA at that time instead, and theyd be regarded in the same way.
On the other hand there were only 8 teams in the NBA when WIlt joined the league so the talent pool wasn't as diluted as it is today.

Most of the players on those 8 teams would never even make it to the league in today's game.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Game wasn't popular enough to have quality players.
Originally posted by BarrySandwich:
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:

lol agreed,my apologies to the champ.

When you're in a NBA Cares commercial and it says NBA Legend below your name, you know it holds weight.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Most of the players on those 8 teams would never even make it to the league in today's game.

Thats why I don't include Bill Russell in my top 8 all time
[ Edited by YungAce on Feb 29, 2016 at 12:34 AM ]
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Agreed.
Originally posted by YungAce:

Did you see Bill Russell play?

Somehow I dont think someone named Yung Ace is going to be 55+ years old and have seen Bill Russell play.

For me he would be just outside my top 8 actually. Maybe around 10th.. Curry has a shot to get into the top 10 all time but he will need 4 or 5 great years to get there.

1) Jordan
2) Jabbar
3) Magic
4) Wilt
5) Bird
6) Lebron
7) Duncan
8) Kobe
9) O'Neil
10) Russell
Curry needs to do it for a few more years before he even sniffs this category. Also, we can say Wilt played in a league full of shrimps who didn't have the most talent but those dudes were, at times, literally hanging on Wilt when he would shoot. Not every play, but he did have to deal with tons and tons of no calls as compared to today. To me, that's the biggest difference and it can really change the way a player plays.

I remember whenever the Lakers played the Spurs or any other team with a quicker/speedy PG. Lakers' strategy was to let Fisher get physical. Jason Williams always had a hard time with this and so did Parker. And this was only 10-15 years ago. Go further back and defensive players were pretty much forcing PG with their forearms.

I do think that does make a big difference as I have seen Fisher change the way Parker and Jason Williams play. I would think the same would go for Curry. Still think Curry would still light it up from the 3, but he would not be able to drive as well or easily as he can today.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Somehow I dont think someone named Yung Ace is going to be 55+ years old and have seen Bill Russell play.

For me he would be just outside my top 8 actually. Maybe around 10th.. Curry has a shot to get into the top 10 all time but he will need 4 or 5 great years to get there.

1) Jordan
2) Jabbar
3) Magic
4) Wilt
5) Bird
6) Lebron
7) Duncan
8) Kobe
9) O'Neil
10) Russell

Did you ever see Bill Russell play?
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

1) Jordan
2) Jabbar
3) Magic
4) Wilt
5) Bird
6) Lebron
7) Duncan
8) Kobe
9) O'Neil
10) Russell

Did you ever see Bill Russell play?

yep
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
1) Michael Jordan
2) Wilt Chamberlain
3) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4) Bill Russel
5) Tim Duncan
6) Magic Johnson
7) Kobe Bryant
8) Lebron James
9) Larry Bird
10) Shaquille O'Neal
11) Oscar Robertson
12) Hakeem Olajuwon
13) Moses Malone
14) Jerry West

Yeah that's right, I'd take Kobe and Lebron and Tim Duncan over Larry Bird.

No disrespect to Larry Legend though, I think Jordan is unquestionably the greatest, but the 2nd through 12th best players ever are very debateable.
[ Edited by crzy on Feb 29, 2016 at 11:24 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone