LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 218 users in the forums

Is Curry one of the best offensive players ever?

Is Curry one of the best offensive players ever?

He's certainly playing like it at this moment. But of course sustaining is another thing.

Obviously he's got a ways to go before getting to DJ Mbenga's level.

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
This. It's not like Russell didn't want to play great offense, he just couldn't. This day and age, his ceiling would've been Ben Wallace.
That is about the most accurate comparison you could come up with for Russell. As for Wilt he still dominates today. He was a more athletic version of Shaq with more shooting range. Both were horrible free throwers, but that finger roll and 10 foot fade away were deadly.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by Joecool:
One thing is for sure, in this "era", he's the best offensive player.

One thing is for sure, these old dudes should keep their mouth closed and stop putting down the era of basketball. They may have a point, may be right, but they look petty as f**k saying it. Just don't say anything and let the game appeal for itself.

Reminds me of Jordan and his horrible HOF speech.

It makes them(old players)look bitter and like they are craving for attention.

If you're just another(old player)that says "yeah, Steph is amazing", who cares.

If you say "he wouldn't have done this back in the day" then they(media) will want you to elaborate, thus giving "said" player, that nobody gives a s**t about, a few more seconds of airtime to stutter and mumble what I think is English, but all I understand is "yeah, yeah, you jus gotta get rough wit'em, putcho hands on'em". Sounds like I'm listening to someone plan a prison rape, and not how to defend Curry...lol
One thing is for sure, in this "era", he's the best offensive player.

One thing is for sure, these old dudes should keep their mouth closed and stop putting down the era of basketball. They may have a point, may be right, but they look petty as f**k saying it. Just don't say anything and let the game appeal for itself.

Reminds me of Jordan and his horrible HOF speech.

Very true. Also, the older guys didn't have zone defense to deal with. Things changed a lot from posting to up to players actually needing to develop a good jumper.

Yeah, but the young guys didn't have hand checking to deal with. The changes in the game can go back and forth.

Can still get around that with a far screen for the 26 foot jumper!
Originally posted by BobS:
This. It's not like Russell didn't want to play great offense, he just couldn't. This day and age, his ceiling would've been Ben Wallace.
That is about the most accurate comparison you could come up with for Russell. As for Wilt he still dominates today. He was a more athletic version of Shaq with more shooting range. Both were horrible free throwers, but that finger roll and 10 foot fade away were deadly.

I have no doubt about that either. Wilt would probably dominate today as well.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
As of right now, he's the best shooter of all-time. If he keeps this up, wins a few more championships, he might go down as the best ever.

That is a big slap in the face of the police
Curry is a phenomenon. He's already broken his 3-point record from last year with 24 games to go, on pace for a 40% increase in production from his MVP year (!)

To put that in perspective comparing it to other sports, he would have 102 home runs if he were setting that record and he would have 77 TD passes if he were a QB setting new records for TD Passes. It's almost unbelievable. It's an amazing time to be a Warriors fan.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/steph-curry-is-on-pace-to-hit-102-home-runs/
  • BobS
  • Veteran
The only thing I would wonder is how many more points would a guy like Jerry West have if they had a 3 point line in his day, he routinely hit some pretty long jumpers.

Kwame Brown is better than Wilt.
Originally posted by ritchie:
He's certainly playing like it at this moment. But of course sustaining is another thing.

Sayin'. If he was not on a Bay Area team, this discussion never starts. He's on another level right now, but 2 years do not a HOFer make. 3 more like this and 1-2 more rings? Yessir.

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Sayin'. If he was not on a Bay Area team, this discussion never starts. He's on another level right now, but 2 years do not a HOFer make. 3 more like this and 1-2 more rings? Yessir.

If the Warriors win a title and Curry wins back to back MVPs he is a virtual lock to be in the HOF. No MVP winner has ever been left out of the Hall (although D Rose could end up being the first depending on the next few years).
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:

Originally posted by InsertNameHere:

He's got that cornrow mullet going on...lol
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

If the Warriors win a title and Curry wins back to back MVPs he is a virtual lock to be in the HOF. No MVP winner has ever been left out of the Hall (although D Rose could end up being the first depending on the next few years).

Soo.... it's too soon to tell?
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
The basketball hall of fame is a joke though.

First of all, it's ridiculous that the NBA doesn't have it's own Hall of Fame, and instead shares it with college basketball players, international players, and WNBA/famous female basketball players.

The Hall of Fame is one thing that the MLB does way better than the NBA.

Guys like Sarunas Marciulionis and Ralph Sampson being in the same "Hall of Fame" as Jordan and Wilt doesn't sit well with me. And I know they were legends internationally and in the NCAA, respectively. But neither deserve to be in an "NBA Hall of Fame".
[ Edited by crzy on Mar 1, 2016 at 5:32 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone