LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 227 users in the forums

Is Curry one of the best offensive players ever?

Is Curry one of the best offensive players ever?

I've only watched a few guys(I'm 34)that could take over games like Curry.

Jordan
Kobe
Tracy McGrady 2002-2004 (2002-03 He averaged 32ppg 6.5rpg 5.5apg 1.5spg/2003-04 29ppg 6rpg 5.5apg 1.7spg)
Iverson(For 5 seasons he averaged over 30ppg. For his career 27ppg 4.5rpg 6.5apg 2.4spg.)

I bet that Curry has one of the highest points per minute averages of all-time.
[ Edited by InsertNameHere on Feb 28, 2016 at 11:39 AM ]
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Wayyyyyyyy too soooon. Let the young man grow into that category.
Who knows for the long haul. But being the 1st guy to average 30 ppg in less than 35 mpg is amazing.
He's going to be the best offensive player ever and it's not really close. No one has ever had an offensive season like Curry is having and that includes Wilt Chamberlain who scored 50 points per game. Jordan, Wilt, Lebron, etc. were better all around players, but Curry draws more attention from defenses than anyone and is more efficient scoring the basketball than anyone on the list. Points per minute are not the only measure of offensive worth - Curry creates a ton of space for his teammates and gets a good amount of assists.

Curry's PER so far this year is 32.9. Jordan's highest was 31.7. Lebron's best was also 31.7. His win shares/48 of 3.4 is higher than either of them ever produced. Jordan had seasons where he scored more, but his highest TS % ever was 61.4%. Curry is at 68.5% this season which is an absurdly high percentage for someone scoring over 30 points per game. When Wilt scored 50 points per game, his true shooting % was only 53.6% (and it was done in a much weaker era).

Kobe or Jordan could take over games like Curry, but neither one was as consistently dominant over a full season as Curry is on pace to be. Kobe never had a true shooting percentage over 58% for any season in his entire career and his highest PER was 26.2. Curry's on another level.
Never heard of him
Originally posted by fropwns:

How many years does a player need to play before you would consider them "all-time great worthy"?

If he has another 3yrs like this one, or even better, with 2 more MVPs and 2 more Rings, he's a first ballet HOF with ease. What's crazy, is that he'd probably get in if this was his last year.
Curry is having a historically great season but to say he will be the best offensive player and its "not even close" is a huge stretch. Come on.. you never have heard of Kareem Abdul Jabbar?

He is the greatest shooter ever in my opinion and having one of the greatest seasons ever. But, we shall see over the next 5 years or so if he can elevate himself in to that all time best ever and be in the conversation with Michael and Kareem

I will say this though.. Best shooter ever and most fun to watch player ever.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
He's going to be the best offensive player ever and it's not really close. No one has ever had an offensive season like Curry is having and that includes Wilt Chamberlain who scored 50 points per game. Jordan, Wilt, Lebron, etc. were better all around players, but Curry draws more attention from defenses than anyone and is more efficient scoring the basketball than anyone on the list. Points per minute are not the only measure of offensive worth - Curry creates a ton of space for his teammates and gets a good amount of assists.

Curry's PER so far this year is 32.9. Jordan's highest was 31.7. Lebron's best was also 31.7. His win shares/48 of 3.4 is higher than either of them ever produced. Jordan had seasons where he scored more, but his highest TS % ever was 61.4%. Curry is at 68.5% this season which is an absurdly high percentage for someone scoring over 30 points per game. When Wilt scored 50 points per game, his true shooting % was only 53.6% (and it was done in a much weaker era).

Kobe or Jordan could take over games like Curry, but neither one was as consistently dominant over a full season as Curry is on pace to be. Kobe never had a true shooting percentage over 58% for any season in his entire career and his highest PER was 26.2. Curry's on another level.

Now that's taking it too far...lol
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
Originally posted by fropwns:

How many years does a player need to play before you would consider them "all-time great worthy"?

If he has another 3yrs like this one, or even better, with 2 more MVPs and 2 more Rings, he's a first ballet HOF with ease. What's crazy, is that he'd probably get in if this was his last year.

Considering that there has never been a player with multiple MVP awards that are not in the HOF I would say that Steph is a lock for it.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Curry is having a historically great season but to say he will be the best offensive player and its "not even close" is a huge stretch. Come on.. you never have heard of Kareem Abdul Jabbar?

He is the greatest shooter ever in my opinion and having one of the greatest seasons ever. But, we shall see over the next 5 years or so if he can elevate himself in to that all time best ever and be in the conversation with Michael and Kareem

I will say this though.. Best shooter ever and most fun to watch player ever.

Agree with this. Already the best shooter ever and most fun to watch. This year might be the single best season anyone has ever had. His 32.9 PER on the season is highest in NBA history.

A few more years of similar production and he'll be in the conversation for best offensive player ever. He's breaking the game right now. Nobody has ever shot it from range like he does.

He keeps this up he'll be top 5... depends how many rings he can get
Wilt Chamberlain did things no one in NBA history has come close to. He averaged 50 points a game for an entire season and averaged 22 rebounds per game over his entire career. He once had 55 rebounds in a game, and scored 100 points in a single game. It wasen't a soft game back then. In this fast media world we're looking for GOAT before the next game starts. The Chamberlain-Russell matchup will never duplicated.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Wilt Chamberlain did things no one in NBA history has come close to. He averaged 50 points a game for an entire season and averaged 22 rebounds per game over his entire career. He once had 55 rebounds in a game, and scored 100 points in a single game. It wasen't a soft game back then. In this fast media world we're looking for GOAT before the next game starts. The Chamberlain-Russell matchup will never duplicated.

55 rebounds in a game is ridiculous. Was he twice everyone elses size?
Hes the greatest shooter ever.

Hes never going to pass Jordan, so its really a different category with Steph.
I'm waiting for Jawoski to elevate him as the greatest before I say
Share 49ersWebzone