LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

Alabama vs Notre Dame: BCS Championship

Good example, but obviously those guys were not nearly as good as they were at their peak when they came in the league. But, that very, very rare example is good. Nice research man.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Good example, but obviously those guys were not nearly as good as they were at their peak when they came in the league. But, that very, very rare example is good. Nice research man.

Exactly, they had to grow in to a being a HOF Safties ect ect.

Its no Slam Dunk, and its one historical example. Its NOT every decade or so you can find a team like that

But what if the NEXT team like that trades one of the insane RBs for the next Dan Marino or Peyton Manning.

If you find the right college team, and a really bad NFL team anything is possible

Here is the roster

Bolded had NFL careers over 3 years
[ Edited by Dshearn on Jan 8, 2013 at 12:03 PM ]
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Exactly, they had to grow in to a being a HOF Safties ect ect.

Its no Slam Dunk, and its one historical example. Every Decade or so you can find a team like that

But what if the NEXT team like that trades one of the insane RBs for the next Dan Marino or Peyton Manning.

If you find the right college team, and a really bad NFL team anything is possible

Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
i think KC would have more pride than that.

A Few years back Brett Farve and his Pro Bowl WRs showed up for a flag football game with the attitude that it would be a joke and would destroy the best of the flagfootball world....

They underestimated how bad the other guys wanted it..got embarrissed, flustered... then got serious......and still LOST.

This was a HOF QB with elite WRs that has played together for YEARS.

I bet you money there are slack asses on the Chiefs that would NOT take the game serious.....

It only takes one dumb ass kick returner or CB to loose a ball game you should win with ease.
Not really..... fringe NFL guys might be starter level college guys....but the BEST of the BEST in college, normally end up a HIGHLY HYPED NFL prospects..and quite often hit the NFL as productive players. The MAJORITY of the best of the best in college end up as the BEST of the BEST in the NFL.

We are not talking about a college team of FRINGE NFL guys... We are saying its possible a HISTORICALLY GREAT college team could play on the same field as a bad NFL TEAM.

Lets Give an example....... ( apologize for the formatting doing this on a cellphone at lunch)

A Few facts we need to agree on.

You lowered the bar for me, We went from Maybe possibly....to NOT get KILLED by an NFL team.

This has the key componet of horrible Coaching and horrible QB play

Possible does not equal likely

ANY given sunday anything can happen.

I give you Players on the 1997 Miami hurricane Roster VS 2004 Week 3 49ers roster. This team lost 34-0 VS the Seahawks.

the 1997 Miami Team had MANY players that where ABOVE Fringe Level, 36 of them ended up with NFL careers. Including over a half dozzen offensive Linemen.

This team had NFL quality linemen on the Offense ( we are talking Tackles like Vernon Carey and Brynt McKinnie) and Defense.

Miami

QB Ken Dorsey
RBs- Willis McGahee/ Clinton Portis/ Frank Gore

WR Roscoe Parrish/ Andrea Johnson

TE Jerome Shockey/ Kellen Winslow

DEs Jerome McDougal/ Orien Harris

DTs Vince Wilfork J Williams

Lbers Jonathan Vilma-DJ Williams- Roger McIntosh

CBs Phillip Buchannon- Antrel Rolle- Brian Jennings

Safteys Ed Reed Sean Taylor

VS

Week 3 2004 49ers

QB Ken Dorsey

RB Barlow/ Robinson

WR Cedrick Wilison/ Curtis Conway

TE Johnson

DE John engleburger/ Andra Carter

DT Anthony Adams BY ( this was bad bad BY year)

LBers Ulbric/ Smith/ Winborn

CBs Williams/ Spencer

Safteys Parrish Heard

Jesus, all those guys were on the same college team?

Yes. And they couldn't even beat Ohio State in 2002.

Even that team would have no chance against a bad NFL team.
[ Edited by TheRambler on Jan 8, 2013 at 12:24 PM ]
The fringe NFL guys are the best of the best in college though. And, if a college team played an NFL team in a real game there wouldn't be a bunch of "fringe" rookie players playing. It would be NFL starters playing.

In regards to the rarity of NFL size and speed, I disagree. The elite skill sets are rare. And the skills are FAR superior now. The gimmick offense stuff works in the highest levels of college ranks, but has not consistently worked in the NFL. There is a reason for that: the players are too good.

Not really..... fringe NFL guys might be starter level college guys....but the BEST of the BEST in college, normally end up a HIGHLY HYPED NFL prospects..and quite often hit the NFL as productive players. The MAJORITY of the best of the best in college end up as the BEST of the BEST in the NFL.

We are not talking about a college team of FRINGE NFL guys... We are saying its possible a HISTORICALLY GREAT college team could play on the same field as a bad NFL TEAM.

Lets Give an example....... ( apologize for the formatting doing this on a cellphone at lunch)

A Few facts we need to agree on.

You lowered the bar for me, We went from Maybe possibly....to NOT get KILLED by an NFL team.

This has the key componet of horrible Coaching and horrible QB play

Possible does not equal likely

ANY given sunday anything can happen.

I give you Players on the 1997 Miami hurricane Roster VS 2004 Week 3 49ers roster. This team lost 34-0 VS the Seahawks.

the 1997 Miami Team had MANY players that where ABOVE Fringe Level, 36 of them ended up with NFL careers. Including over a half dozzen offensive Linemen.

This team had NFL quality linemen on the Offense ( we are talking Tackles like Vernon Carey and Brynt McKinnie) and Defense.

Miami

QB Ken Dorsey
RBs- Willis McGahee/ Clinton Portis/ Frank Gore

WR Roscoe Parrish/ Andrea Johnson

TE Jerome Shockey/ Kellen Winslow

DEs Jerome McDougal/ Orien Harris

DTs Vince Wilfork J Williams

Lbers Jonathan Vilma-DJ Williams- Roger McIntosh

CBs Phillip Buchannon- Antrel Rolle- Brian Jennings

Safteys Ed Reed Sean Taylor

VS

Week 3 2004 49ers

QB Ken Dorsey

RB Barlow/ Robinson

WR Cedrick Wilison/ Curtis Conway

TE Johnson

DE John engleburger/ Andra Carter

DT Anthony Adams BY ( this was bad bad BY year)

LBers Ulbric/ Smith/ Winborn

CBs Williams/ Spencer

Safteys Parrish Heard

Wait, are you trying to say all those Hurricane players you listed were on their 1997 roster?
Originally posted by DaManRathman:
Wait, are you trying to say all those Hurricane players you listed were on their 1997 roster?

no screwed that up

they where on the 2001 roster

no screwed that up

Ahh OK, yes.

I knew Gore wasn't there in 1997, he would have only been about 14 years old in 1997 lol.

That 2001 team was insane.

LOL If he was he is VERY wrong.
Originally posted by TheRambler:
Yes. And they couldn't even beat Ohio State in 2002.

Even that team would have no chance against a bad NFL team.

we would have to assume Miami is healthy.

the great part is doresy can screw up both teams in my example

no screwed that up

Ahh OK, yes.

I knew Gore wasn't there in 1997, he would have only been about 14 years old in 1997 lol.

That 2001 team was insane.

Yep. Now the 2001 team was probably the greatest collection of college football players ever on 1 team. At least 20 were NFL players and many were stars. That team would have smoked this Bama team in my opinion.

Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Valdosta St could indeed beat Bama, because Billy Jean King beat Riggs in a tennis match. Therefore anything in this world is possible.

Speaking of Billie Jean... for record, she was NOT my lover. She's just a girl who said I was the one.

53-man NFL roster vs. 10 "draftable" college players = no contest. This conversation is pure verbal diarrhea.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Yep. Now the 2001 team was probably the greatest collection of college football players ever on 1 team. At least 20 were NFL players and many were stars. That team would have smoked this Bama team in my opinion.

yea they could beat anyone

they got unlucky
Still think Bama could compete, if not beat, a few NFL teams. There's enough pro talent on the roster, I don't think there too much of a gap there. I don't believe the gap between college and the pros is that significant. Plenty of rookies come in and have immediate success in te NFL. Generally, the only thing that holds players back is the mental side of the game. Bama is always prepared and they have excellent coaching. Count the the future 1st round picks on Bama's Oline, RB corps, and defensive front 7. It's impressive.

The Jags, Raiders, and Chiefs are a mess. Bama would definitely give them all they could handle.

The SF Giants use to travel and play their farms teams. They come to town cocky and get beat by our AA team. The pros aren't Gods.
This Bama vs a pro team is silly. Bama is good but any NFL team would destroy them. Just because Bama beat up on ND doesn't mean they are that much better than everyone else. The long layoff really helps good coach's in college football. Every BCS bowl game was a blow out. Is Louisville that much better than Florida? Is Bama that much better than LSU? Can Texas A & M hang with an NFL team as well since they beat Bama? NO. It's not impossible for an NFL team to lose but 99 times out of 100, I would think that the NFL team would win. Carson Palmer might suck but "supposedly" he is one of the 32 best QBs. Bama's QB looks promising but he won't be a starting QB in the NFL next year. Bama has plenty of NFL caliber players on their team but how many will start on an NFL team next year??? And how many will start because they are that good compared to them starting because they were the best lineman available?
Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Valdosta St could indeed beat Bama, because Billy Jean King beat Riggs in a tennis match. Therefore anything in this world is possible.

Speaking of Billie Jean... for record, she was NOT my lover. She's just a girl who said I was the one.

53-man NFL roster vs. 10 "draftable" college players = no contest. This conversation is pure verbal diarrhea.

Bama has at least 10 draftable players (half being 1st or 2nd rounders) on their starting offense alone (McCarron, Lacy, Yeldon, B. Jones, Warmack, Fluker, Kouandjio, Steen, Cooper and Norwood.....possibly Bell too). And on defense, there's another 12 or so just among their current rotational players (J Williams, Square, Stinson, Dial, Hubbard, Mosley, Nico Johnson, Xzavier Dickson, Milliner, Clinton-Dix, Lester and Belue).

So that's nearly every starter on Bama's team that unless something crazy happens, are easily draftable. And that's not counting any future stars or even just draftable players they may have stuck behind some of the all-americans and future high picks they have.

But thanks for the insightful comment anyway. You're probably right about your overall premise, but way off-target in terms of Bama's talent. I mean, it's cool to poke fun of people that have a different opinion than you, but at least get your basic facts/assessments straight.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 8, 2013 at 1:50 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone