There are 224 users in the forums

Alabama vs Notre Dame: BCS Championship

Mike Rumph was on that 2001 team
There are over 2000 colleges across the U.S. (not even counting the Junior Colleges) and of those, approximately 250 players apply for the NFL draft per year. Keep in mind that these are the COLLEGE best players out of the 2000 colleges. Then approximately 50% of those don't make the cut, so what you're left with is the cream of the crop. Bottom line is that you have to be one hell of a player to even make it past the draft.

Consider that even the worst of the NFL have a few of those drafted in the top 20% and people here are saying that Alabama can beat those teams?
Get serious.

The person that quoted the Giants playing in the minor league? Keep in mind that the minor league is NOT a college Baseball team. They are a select group of people selected by the Professional teams. BIG DIFFERENCE! So we're back to some top notch COLLEGE baseball team beating a pro team? Not gonna happen.
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Jan 8, 2013 at 2:26 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Valdosta St could indeed beat Bama, because Billy Jean King beat Riggs in a tennis match. Therefore anything in this world is possible.

Speaking of Billie Jean... for record, she was NOT my lover. She's just a girl who said I was the one.

53-man NFL roster vs. 10 "draftable" college players = no contest. This conversation is pure verbal diarrhea.

Bama has at least 10 draftable players (half being 1st or 2nd rounders) on their starting offense alone (McCarron, Lacy, Yeldon, B. Jones, Warmack, Fluker, Kouandjio, Steen, Cooper and Norwood.....possibly Bell too). And on defense, there's another 12 or so just among their current rotational players (J Williams, Square, Stinson, Dial, Hubbard, Mosley, Nico Johnson, Xzavier Dickson, Milliner, Clinton-Dix, Lester and Belue).

So that's nearly every starter on Bama's team that unless something crazy happens, are easily draftable. And that's not counting any future stars or even just draftable players they may have stuck behind some of the all-americans and future high picks they have.

But thanks for the insightful comment anyway. You're probably right about your overall premise, but way off-target in terms of Bama's talent. I mean, it's cool to poke fun of people that have a different opinion than you, but at least get your basic facts/assessments straight.

yes there's a lot of talent on their roster, but of those 22 starters how many of them would make the 53-man roster? and how many of them would get into the starting lineup? maybe eventually they all could, but right now most of them aren't NFL ready.

bama vs KC, i give Bama the "any given sunday" chance
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
There are over 2000 colleges across the U.S. and of those, approximately 250 players apply for the NFL draft per year. Keep in mind that these are the COLLEGE best players out of the 2000 colleges. Then approximately 50% of those don't make the cut, so what you're left with is the cream of the crop.

Consider that even the worst of the NFL have a few of those in the top 20% and people here are saying that Alabama can beat those teams?
Get serious.

The person that quoted the Giants playing in the minor league? Keep in mind that the minor league is NOT a college Baseball team. They are a select group of people selected by the Professional teams. BIG DIFFERENCE! So we're back to some top notch COLLEGE baseball team beating a pro team? Not gonna happen.

your missing one key point.

one NFL elite player can beat a very good NFL team.

one horriffic bad player can loose an NFL game.

forget the talent around them

AP can neutralize a historically bad NFL defense damn near by himself.

A rookie Andrew luck throwing to a rookie randy moss will score points on a historically bad defense.

you Pick a historically great college teams with superior talent then a historically bad NFL team....and you will have a ball game.
[ Edited by Dshearn on Jan 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM ]
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
There are over 2000 colleges across the U.S. and of those, approximately 250 players apply for the NFL draft per year. Keep in mind that these are the COLLEGE best players out of the 2000 colleges. Then approximately 50% of those don't make the cut, so what you're left with is the cream of the crop.

Consider that even the worst of the NFL have a few of those in the top 20% and people here are saying that Alabama can beat those teams?
Get serious.

your missing one key point.

one NFL elite player can beat a very good NFL team.

one horriffic bad player can loose an NFL game.

forget the talent around them

AP can neutralize a historically bad NFL defense damn near by himself.

A rookie Andrew luck throwing to a rookie randy moss will score points on a historically bad defense.

you Pick a historically great college teams with superior talent then a historically bad NFL team....and you will have a ball game.

I want to smoke what you guys are smoking
Maybe this lopsided ass-kicking of a game will help expedite the playoff system. College football needs a playoff ASAP!

Edit: No college team is going to beat an NFL team. That's just crazy talk.
[ Edited by KegBert on Jan 8, 2013 at 3:14 PM ]
Originally posted by KegBert:
Maybe this lopsided ass-kicking of a game will help expedite the playoff system. College football needs a playoff ASAP!

Edit: No college team is going to beat an NFL team. That's just crazy talk.
A lot of people just don't care but I lose interest in college football every year because their Championship series in a joke. Bama is a great team but they aren't as dominate as the bowl games make them look. Every BCS bowl game was lop-sided this year and that happens every year as well. It's not even competitive. When Bama plays during the regular season they play good teams a lot closer (Georgia, LSU, Texas A & M), etc... Bama or LSU, etc... are definately good enough to win a NC in a playoff format but the games would all be closer. An 8 team playoff this year would have been (ND, Bama, Florida, Oregon, K State, Stanford, Georgia and LSU). A Bama team would draw Georgia in the 1st round round. If they escaped Georgia they would move on to maybe LSU and then a championship game with Oregon?
That's a lot harder to do year in and year out...
Valdosta St could indeed beat Bama, because Billy Jean King beat Riggs in a tennis match. Therefore anything in this world is possible.

Speaking of Billie Jean... for record, she was NOT my lover. She's just a girl who said I was the one.

53-man NFL roster vs. 10 "draftable" college players = no contest. This conversation is pure verbal diarrhea.

Bama has at least 10 draftable players (half being 1st or 2nd rounders) on their starting offense alone (McCarron, Lacy, Yeldon, B. Jones, Warmack, Fluker, Kouandjio, Steen, Cooper and Norwood.....possibly Bell too). And on defense, there's another 12 or so just among their current rotational players (J Williams, Square, Stinson, Dial, Hubbard, Mosley, Nico Johnson, Xzavier Dickson, Milliner, Clinton-Dix, Lester and Belue).

So that's nearly every starter on Bama's team that unless something crazy happens, are easily draftable. And that's not counting any future stars or even just draftable players they may have stuck behind some of the all-americans and future high picks they have.

But thanks for the insightful comment anyway. You're probably right about your overall premise, but way off-target in terms of Bama's talent. I mean, it's cool to poke fun of people that have a different opinion than you, but at least get your basic facts/assessments straight.

You're welcome- for allowing me the privilege of attempting to inject logic into a comical scenario.

Just curious, are you an aspiring agent trying to get top NFL-dollars for "fringe" college players, and view this thread as your golden goose? Outside of that, I can see no other reason for your heels-dug-in-yet-laughable-stance.

Again... you're welcome.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
I want to smoke what you guys are smoking

That's where we differ. The last thing I'd want to smoke is something that makes me so absurdly delusional.

Just kidding. Puff puff pass!

hahaha

bonus points stoney

You're welcome- for allowing me the privilege of attempting to inject logic into a comical scenario.

Just curious, are you an aspiring agent trying to get top NFL-dollars for "fringe" college players, and view this thread as your golden goose? Outside of that, I can see no other reason for your heels-dug-in-yet-laughable-stance.

Again... you're welcome.

No, I just find it humorous that I'm being vilified for having an opinion, when that's all you guys have too....just an opinion. You have zero proof, zero facts and zero evidence to state your claims (since the scenario of a great college team playing an awful NFL never has happened and never will) yet you make me out to be a nut-job for being in the same situation (no proof, no evidence and no facts) but merely thinking and saying out loud, " I think, given the right situation, it's possible." It's a hypothetical that I thought might be an interesting thing to discuss...

So bottom line, I just have a different OPINION than the group-think on this board, but you're stating your case as if it's a known and proven fact that can never ever possibly happen (when in fact, you don't know that) and I'm some idiot because I can see a scenario where it's possible. Your bias about this doesn't even allow you to see beyond your own opinion about it (as if there was no situation that exists that can change it), whereas I've admitted to you and to others, that you're probably right and I'm probably wrong....but again, given the right set of circumstances, etc., etc., etc.

Dude, that's really all. Wasn't meant as a dissertation or statement of faith. Was just an opinion.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 8, 2013 at 5:01 PM ]
No, I just find it humorous that I'm being vilified for having an opinion, when that's all you guys have too....just an opinion. You have zero proof, zero facts and zero evidence to state your claims (since the scenario of a great college team playing an awful NFL never has happened and never will) yet you make me out to be a nut-job for being in the same situation (no proof, no evidence and no facts) but merely thinking and saying out loud, " I think, given the right situation, it's possible." It's a hypothetical that I thought might be an interesting thing to discuss...

So bottom line, I just have a different OPINION than the group-think on this board, but you're stating your case as if it's a known and proven fact that can never ever possibly happen (when in fact, you don't know that) and I'm some idiot because I can see a scenario where it's possible. Your bias about this doesn't even allow you to see beyond your own opinion about it (as if there was no situation that exists that can change it), whereas I've admitted to you and to others, that you're probably right and I'm probably wrong....but again, given the right set of circumstances, etc., etc., etc.

Dude, that's really all. Wasn't meant as a dissertation or statement of faith. Was just an opinion.

It's not like those of us that strongly disagree haven't thought about what you're suggesting before blindly disagreeing. It's a numbers game in a 60-minute war of attrition.

NFL roster = 53 athletes that were the best of the best CFB studs (not from one specific year, but from a dozen years combined!)

vs.

Your CFB team of choice - A (generous) select collection of NFL players & 40+ more athletes that will never sniff playing on Sundays

=

Ass beating of considerable proportion.

May as well argue that Sugar Ray Leonard had "a chance" to beat Tyson, simply because you know he's won other matches convincingly. Pretzel logic, IMO.
Go back and check out Bama's 2010 depth chart. Looking at the starters and the the backups (then), it's loaded with early round NFL talent. The players currently on the roster are no different. Guys like Lacy and Yeldon are just as talented as the Ingrams and Richardsons, they're just not as we'll known yet. Bama is as deep as any team in the nation. They scoop up a handful of the best players in the country every year.

I understand the argument that NFL players are the best draftable players in the country and better than standard college kids; however, your average NFL team may only have about 5 first round picks on the roster. Alabama is pumping out 3-5 1st-2nd round picks every year. The talent is there.

Personally I think the huge difference is professional preparation and Bama is unique in that they are basically an NFL training school. Lets face it, an 8th grader has the smarts to get a degree in Alabama. They are the closest thing to a professional team in the NCAA. Saban has them ready every week and out smarts opponents every week. It's rare that they have a competitive game. If Alabama kept they're players (rather than sending them to the NFL), they'd have a Pro Bowl team caliber team in a few short years.

Look at an older roster as a snapshot of how many current/projected NFL players you see. It's pretty remarkable how well Saban has recruited. His team is loaded with NFL-caliber talent. Most of his starters go pro. On any pro roster there's a few guys that are just there for lack of a better player. Thankfully, we've purged the roster of our Snyders and Rachals. Plus, while the general perception is that NFL players were star college players, that's far from the truth. After the 2nd round, the vast majority of players selected were good, not great college players.
[ Edited by strickac on Jan 8, 2013 at 6:23 PM ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Oh boy. This conversation is still going on.
Share 49ersWebzone