LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 286 users in the forums

MMA vs Boxing question

MMA vs Boxing question

Originally posted by znk916:
Originally posted by Hollywood49er:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Mayweather made more money in 1 fight last year, than the top 10 MMA fighters did all year. MMA sucks face it. Every time there is a big boxing match (IE: Pacman/PBF vs whoever) everybody in their mom orders the fight. Speaking of moms, my mom (56 yrs old) can name about 3-5 boxers, and could give a s**t about MMA. Which is why it fails. MMA Can't attract regular folks. What are we on UFC 100545754654???? and still no one gives a s**t. Look at the line up of ufc fighters recently

Brock Lesnaer WWF superstar really? I would love to see Lesnar step into a boxing ring vs a Vitali K. or his brother. He would KO in 30 seconds tops. Not be a champion.
Kimbo Slice youtube sensation wow?
James Toney 42 yr old washed up boxer really Dana? Really?

10 years ago nobody knew who Pac-Man and PBF were, now these cats are everywhere.
Which is why Entertainment wise: Boxing > MMA, always has been always will be.
Dana White is joke as a CEO compared to OLDH and Bob Arum.

And to answer the question in a genuine street fight, where the fighters fight standing and don't b***h out and roll around on the ground boxer wins 10/10 times.
I always hated watching a street fight that ended up on the ground, STR8 gay.

One of the most unintelligent posts I have ever read. Congratulations.

Is it really? all facts.
Brock Lesnar went from WWF to UFC champ seamlessly. FACT.
James Toney is washed up. FACT.
PBF makes more money in 1 fight than the top 10 MMA guys. FACT.
MMA struggles to reach mainstream audience. FACT.

What is so unintelligent about the post?

probably because you immediately went off topic about finances and entertainment value when no one even brought it up

I did but so did alot of others in the previous post. and I answered the question and the end of my post.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Mayweather made more money in 1 fight last year, than the top 10 MMA fighters did all year. MMA sucks face it. Every time there is a big boxing match (IE: Pacman/PBF vs whoever) everybody in their mom orders the fight. Speaking of moms, my mom (56 yrs old) can name about 3-5 boxers, and could give a s**t about MMA. Which is why it fails. MMA Can't attract regular folks. What are we on UFC 100545754654???? and still no one gives a s**t. Look at the line up of ufc fighters recently

Brock Lesnaer WWF superstar really? I would love to see Lesnar step into a boxing ring vs a Vitali K. or his brother. He would KO in 30 seconds tops. Not be a champion.

10 years ago nobody knew who Pac-Man and PBF were, now these cats are everywhere.

And to answer the question in a genuine street fight, where the fighters fight standing and don't b***h out and roll around on the ground boxer wins 10/10 times.

Saying nobody cares about MMA is somewhere between pathetic and moronic. You're letting your boxing bias get the best of you.

Just as a gauge of the public's interest:

EVERY UFC gets on SportsCenter. In fact, ESPN has an entire 30 min show devoted to MMA. How many boxing specific shows do they have? For that matter, aside from the Mayweather/Manny drama...what other boxing event even makes it on SportsCenter... or any other sports show for that matter?

That's a solid gauge for the public's interest. ESPN doesn't show boxing because nobody cares. It's dying. Your post admits alludes to this since it reeks of desperation.

MMA beats boxing events in PPV buys. MMA had a run on network television and practically have an entire channel (Spike) devoted to the sport.

You've got to be kidding me with the "nobody cares about MMA" BS.

I go to Vegas for big time boxing matches and UFC fights...the crowds don't compare...the money spent on tickets doesn't compare. There are faster sellouts, crazier crowds and tickets that cost more (due to demand) at all UFC events.

Boxing is on its way out. I realize you'll hold on tightly to your once beloved sport. But this country wants a sport that requires a full range of athleticism, more technical know-how, and more dramatic finishes. Boxing just doesn't have it.
Originally posted by okdkid:

Saying nobody cares about MMA is somewhere between pathetic and moronic. You're letting your boxing bias get the best of you.

Just as a gauge of the public's interest:

EVERY UFC gets on SportsCenter. In fact, ESPN has an entire 30 min show devoted to MMA. How many boxing specific shows do they have? For that matter, aside from the Mayweather/Manny drama...what other boxing event even makes it on SportsCenter... or any other sports show for that matter?

That's a solid gauge for the public's interest. ESPN doesn't show boxing because nobody cares. It's dying. Your post admits alludes to this since it reeks of desperation.

MMA beats boxing events in PPV buys. MMA had a run on network television and practically have an entire channel (Spike) devoted to the sport.

You've got to be kidding me with the "nobody cares about MMA" BS.

I go to Vegas for big time boxing matches and UFC fights...the crowds don't compare...the money spent on tickets doesn't compare. There are faster sellouts, crazier crowds and tickets that cost more (due to demand) at all UFC events.

Boxing is on its way out. I realize you'll hold on tightly to your once beloved sport. But this country wants a sport that requires a full range of athleticism, more technical know-how, and more dramatic finishes. Boxing just doesn't have it.

1. ESPN televises Friday Night Fights every friday, HBO BAD? Showtime Boxing?
2. Boxing ringside seats for PBF vs ODLH were 15K+, I doubt anyone has ever paid that much to see MMA fight. You can sit ringside at a UFC fight for like 1-2k topps. You see J-Lo and Jay-Z at Boxing Fights, you see Jenna Jameson and David Spade at MMA fights. Boxing is the Oscars and MMA fight is VMA awards.
3. I have been hearing boxing is on its way out for the past 25+ years.
4. PPV buys UFC barely cracked 1 Million buys for an event last year in the ENTIRE HISTORY OF MMA!
5. I admit the interest is gauging for MMA, but after a big MMA event nobody is buzzing about it at work like a big boxing event. FACT
Originally posted by znk916:

Is it really? all facts.

probably because you immediately went off topic about finances and entertainment value when no one even brought it up

I did but so did alot of others in the previous post. and I answered the question and the end of my post.

No, you ducked and dodged and put a stipulation on your "answer".

Is it really? all facts.

What's unintelligent is that your post had nothing to do about the point of this thread. But let me respond to your "facts".

Brock Lesnar was a division I wrestling champion that also happened to be a WWF champ. So what?! Just cus he was employed with the WWF, he's that much less of a fighter? Who cares. He came in and beat some of the top heavyweights in the world due to his strength, quickness, and agility for a man that fights at 285 pounds. That's a lot more than what the Klitschko bros have been doing.

James Toney followed Dana White around for two years continuing to talk s**t about MMA and how "gay" it was. He talked about how his boxing would negate anything else his MMA opponent would do. He was given the opportunity to give boxing the upper hand when he got a fight against a 46 year old Randy Couture. Couture beat him convincingly. Yes, Toney is washed up, but he is still a boxing champ. What does that say about boxing?

Boxers make more money, yes. They've been mainstream for centuries. MMA is moving up. The fighters don't necessarily care if they make a quadrillion dollars a fight. All they care about is fighting. Guys who will fight the best out there. They don't have promoters or the choices, the president of the company makes the fights exciting for the fans. They know what the fans want to see.

You saying that MMA hasn't reached the mainstream just proves how your posts aren't even close to credible. The Versus Network, Spike TV, CBS, ESPN all televise MMA. The UFC alone has held events all around the world. How is that not mainstream?!

Check your bias at the door.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Is it really? all facts.

What's unintelligent is that your post had nothing to do about the point of this thread. But let me respond to your "facts".

Brock Lesnar was a division I wrestling champion that also happened to be a WWF champ. So what?! Just cus he was employed with the WWF, he's that much less of a fighter? Who cares. He came in and beat some of the top heavyweights in the world due to his strength, quickness, and agility for a man that fights at 285 pounds. That's a lot more than what the Klitschko bros have been doing.

James Toney followed Dana White around for two years continuing to talk s**t about MMA and how "gay" it was. He talked about how his boxing would negate anything else his MMA opponent would do. He was given the opportunity to give boxing the upper hand when he got a fight against a 46 year old Randy Couture. Couture beat him convincingly. Yes, Toney is washed up, but he is still a boxing champ. What does that say about boxing?

Boxers make more money, yes. They've been mainstream for centuries. MMA is moving up. The fighters don't necessarily care if they make a quadrillion dollars a fight. All they care about is fighting. Guys who will fight the best out there. They don't have promoters or the choices, the president of the company makes the fights exciting for the fans. They know what the fans want to see.

You saying that MMA hasn't reached the mainstream just proves how your posts aren't even close to credible. The Versus Network, Spike TV, CBS, ESPN all televise MMA. The UFC alone has held events all around the world. How is that not mainstream?!

Originally posted by Kolohe:

Is it really? all facts.

Lou Dibella's best argument: "You don't love boxing!"

I agree Its Backyard fightin until proven otherwise. I think any dude could get all bulked up and grab and squeez his opponent to sumbit. Like dude said 100191832 ufc's and only a couple of angry guys support this?

NO MMA fighter could get in the ring and throw those things.

And no they are not jujitsu karate brazialinan kung fu master fighters. Give it a rest since 97 MMA guys have said boxings dead?
Originally posted by MoistButtCheeks:

I agree Its Backyard fightin until proven otherwise. I think any dude could get all bulked up and grab and squeez his opponent to sumbit. Like dude said 100191832 ufc's and only a couple of angry guys support this?

NO MMA fighter could get in the ring and throw those things.

And no they are not jujitsu karate brazialinan kung fu master fighters. Give it a rest since 97 MMA guys have said boxings dead?

Backyard fighting until proven otherwise? I just mentioned a few posts back that MMA has become popular WORLDWIDE. Canada, Australia, Germany, Brazil, the UK, Japan, the US all have had MMA events held in venues in their countries. How is that not proof that the sport hasn't reached mainstream? The fact that multiple channels cover MMA. The majority of UFC events take place in Las Vegas and have sold out almost ALL their pay per view shows.

Also, most of the fighters aren't even "bulked up". Go watch some of Royce Gracie's fights. 140 pound little dude making guys twice his size submit.

It absolutely amazes me how some of you just don't want to give credit to the sport of MMA.

Is it really? all facts.

Joe Rogan. WOW. Dude is a moron. He has as much cred in sports as a Kardashian Sister. Child Please. Joe Rogan

Is it really? all facts.

Joe Rogan. WOW. Dude is a moron. He has as much cred in sports as a Kardashian Sister. Child Please. Joe Rogan

psst! your ignorance is showing
Originally posted by dobo:
So are we still debating a 1-on-1, no holds barred street fight? Obviously the MMA fighter should be favored. MMA is about as close to a 1-on-1 street fight as you can get within the confines of a sport.

As a spectator, I generally dislike MMA. I think it could be a lot better with some changes to the rules. I would only let fighters do their grappling and locks and such for 30 seconds and then force them to stand up again. That would put a stronger emphasis on punches and kicks and blocks. Much more entertaining, IMO.

I guess I would make it more like boxing/kickboxing, with some room for takedowns and submissions. That would be better than both MMA and boxing, IMO.

MTV's Bully Beat Down uses this format :P

1st round: Grappling/Submission only.
2nd round: Kick Boxing

A professional boxer would definitely flourish in a format like this if he can deal with the leg kicks ;P
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:

Is it really? all facts.

Pssst! Your ignorance has already been seen
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:

Is it really? all facts.

Pssst! Your ignorance has already been seen

Joe Rogan has a brown belt in BJJ, a black belt in taekwando and is a regular at MMA training gyms. Dude knows the sport.

I would suggest you take your trolling elsewhere, because you are getting thoroughly pwned in this thread.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Originally posted by dobo:
So are we still debating a 1-on-1, no holds barred street fight? Obviously the MMA fighter should be favored. MMA is about as close to a 1-on-1 street fight as you can get within the confines of a sport.

As a spectator, I generally dislike MMA. I think it could be a lot better with some changes to the rules. I would only let fighters do their grappling and locks and such for 30 seconds and then force them to stand up again. That would put a stronger emphasis on punches and kicks and blocks. Much more entertaining, IMO.

I guess I would make it more like boxing/kickboxing, with some room for takedowns and submissions. That would be better than both MMA and boxing, IMO.

MTV's Bully Beat Down uses this format :P

1st round: Grappling/Submission only.
2nd round: Kick Boxing

A professional boxer would definitely flourish in a format like this if he can deal with the leg kicks ;P

doubtful
Share 49ersWebzone