LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 322 users in the forums

MMA vs Boxing question

MMA vs Boxing question

• crzy
  • Hall of Fame
If the best MMA fighter in the world fought the best boxer in the world one on one

WITH NO RULES. No boxing rules, no MMA rules.

Just a streetfight with no weapons.

Who would win.
I'd have to side with the MMA fighter just based on their wrestling and submission skills alone. For what it's worth I think boxing most closely resembles real street fighting.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
imo both are limited within it's own sport, but mma brings more to the table in a street fight. the original mixed martial art is kajukenbo. no rules...just real sh*t
not even close, boxers don't even train to throw punches low enough to hit someone coming in below their waist

even if you kept it standing, a kickboxer could easily take out a boxer with push or low kicks alone
Pose this question to yourself.....

If you had to pick a no holds barred street fight with 1988 Mike Tyson or 2010 Brock Lesnar who would you choose.

vs

Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Pose this question to yourself.....

If you had to pick a no holds barred street fight with 1988 Mike Tyson or 2010 Brock Lesnar who would you choose.

vs

Don't know who'd win but I guarantee you Brock Lesnar is coming out of the fight messing a chunk of flesh.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 5, 2010 at 8:07 AM ]
I was also asking who you would guys rather fight in the street---who strikes more fear into your heart.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Boxers are one trick ponies. A boxer MUST knockout an MMA guy on the first punch, or else he is done. Even if he connects, the likelihood of the boxer throwing a knockout blow on the first attempt is incredibly small.

Once it goes to the ground, as any street fight worth its salt would, the MMA guy would choke the boxer unconscious or break his arm in less than 30 seconds. Boxers are trained to do one thing. It wouldn't be close.

People glorify boxers because they have history on their side. But people forget that boxing is not really fighting, its just boxing. There is nothing realistic about two guys just throwing punches. Any respectable fight winds up on the ground. Boxing is boxing, MMA is fighting. I'll always take the guy who has more weapons and knows how to use them.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
I was also asking who you would guys rather fight in the street---who strikes more fear into your heart.

whatever you try against a MMA fighter, he'll be able to counter

do they teach you in boxing what to do if a guy dives at your ankles? I don't think so

Originally posted by okdkid:
Boxing is boxing, MMA is fighting.

I'll put it another way:

boxing is fighting with your hands
mma is fighting, period
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Two words that describe MMA - Vale Tudo.

Two words that describes boxing - One-dimensional

James Toney!!!
Originally posted by Kolohe:

James Toney!!!

I seem to recall Ray Mercer knocking out Tim Sylvia. Only time Silvia has ever been KO'd They might be one dimensial, but they're far superior then what MMA guys are use to seeing. Point being if they don't respect a boxer's punch it's nighty nite for them.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 5, 2010 at 9:57 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by tjd808185:

James Toney!!!

I seem to recall Ray Mercer knocking out Tim Sylvia

I seem to recall, Couture shooting in and Toney not having a chance in hell. How about example #2, Ray Mercer getting owned by one of the lowest level MMA fighters in Kimbo Slice.

How about Vitor Belfort crossing over and making his Pro debut in Boxing.

MMA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Boxing
Originally posted by tjd808185:

James Toney!!!

I seem to recall Ray Mercer knocking out Tim Sylvia

I seem to recall, Couture shooting in and Toney not having a chance in hell. How about example #2, Ray Mercer getting owned by one of the lowest level MMA fighters in Kimbo Slice.

How about Vitor Belfort crossing over and making his Pro debut in Boxing.

MMA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Boxing

Toney and Mercer only fight to collect a paycheck. You can just look at their bodies and see that they're not taking these fights too seriously anymore. If anything they're probally loving these MMA fights because they're over with an under a 1 minute any way you look at it.

They land that punch or they get choked out.

As for Victor Belfort he fought one boxing match against a complete bum. That's the only known fight from his competition. Wow, what a victory!!!!!!!!
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 5, 2010 at 10:09 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone