Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Two words that describe MMA - Vale Tudo.

Two words that describes boxing - One-dimensional

James Toney!!!

I seem to recall Ray Mercer knocking out Tim Sylvia

I seem to recall, Couture shooting in and Toney not having a chance in hell. How about example #2, Ray Mercer getting owned by one of the lowest level MMA fighters in Kimbo Slice.

How about Vitor Belfort crossing over and making his Pro debut in Boxing.

MMA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Boxing

Toney and Mercer only fight to collect a paycheck. You can just look at their bodies and see that they're not taking these fights too seriously anymore. If anything they're probally loving these MMA fights because they're over with an under a 1 minute any way you look at it.

They land that punch or they get choked out.

As for Victor Belfort he fought one boxing match against a complete bum. That's the only known fight from his competition. Wow, what a victory!!!!!!!!

Well you list the only time a MMA fighter has actually been KO'd, but Vitor Belforts one victory is not satisfiable??

Tim Sylvia is one of the worst MMA fighters I've ever seen, he was overrated from the start.

How many credible boxers have actually fought MMA? Not a large sample number right there.

Tim Sylvia is a former champ. Vincent Belfort fought a bum off the street with 0 professional fights. I think there's a difference there.

How does it make it different just cause Tim Sylvia was an ex-champ. Its still boxing vs. MMA and MMA cross over to boxing anyway you slice it. Tim Sylvia chose to stand and he got caught, credit Mercer for that. But, that's just the way Sylvia is, he'll stand and strike with anyone. And that should answer one of the questions, that if a MMA fighter chose to stand with a boxer. But that's also one of Sylvia's weaknesses, he cannot work the inside to save his life and leaves himself open, hence the Mercer KO.

So far its still 3-1, MMA.

The point is one was credible victory, and the other wasn't. Why should I care that Vincent Belfort boxed a bum off the street and won? That's not proving anything.

What does it tell you when a old washed up boxer wants to go MMA he's main eventing, but when a MMA fighter makes the switch he starts from the bottom?

Again, your not excepting for what it is.

VITOR debuted where he was given, don't you think if he had a real money fight he would've took it?? He simply played the cards he was dealt, how do you fault him for that?? It was still boxing in the end. Ask Vitor if he would box the best, and I'm sure he wouldn't tun it down. Shoot Anderson Silva wanted/wants to box Roy Jones Jr., ask the promoters why that doesn't happen??

But in the end, what exactly is your argument. Is it that an MMA fighter got KO by a boxer in the Octagon, no doubt I won't argue that it happened. Or is that, Boxing will always beat MMA fighters, obviously, you have no argument there. For one, its still 3-1 MMA over boxing. Two, how many boxers have transitioned over to MMA, none that will give us a clear cut answer. Again, I'm getting mixed signals on your argument, or is it that you just hate to lose arguments??

I'm not faulting him for it at all, but you're the one who brought it up making it look like he had success in boxing and could make the crossover. He didn't. He fought one fight against a bum off the street and left boxing. That's not success by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm just countering your argument that a boxer can't hold up against a MMA fighter. Where did I imply that they'd win every fight? You have at it 3-1 but I'm only seeing 2 victories so far Slice over Mercer and Couture over Toney.

My point was that Vitor fought a sanctioned boxing match, how hard is that to except. An MMA fighter willing to cross over. How did I imply that it was success, other than it was just a cross over?? And example #2 is right above your post, Yeves Edwards.

Ray Mercer, James Toney and Marcus Davis (UFC #1).

He fought a sanctioned boxing match against a bum. How hard is to accept that. The same goes for Yeves Edwards. He compiled a 2-0 record against local gym rats.

You have to fill me in on Marcus Davis. Sounds like he had a good career making the transition from boxer to MMA fighter.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 5, 2010 at 12:00 PM ]
By the time Mercer fought Sylvia, Tim was a complete bum. He hadn't won a meaningful fight in 3 years, and now he's fighting for small time organizations. You don't want to count Edwards and Belfort, then don't count Mercer beating Sylvia.

Besides, if boxing truly is superior, then those MMA guys should have been beaten by these "bums".
Originally posted by pantstickle:
By the time Mercer fought Sylvia, Tim was a complete bum. He hadn't won a meaningful fight in 3 years, and now he's fighting for small time organizations. You don't want to count Edwards and Belfort, then don't count Mercer beating Sylvia.

Besides, if boxing truly is superior, then those MMA guys should have been beaten by these "bums".

Mercer and Toney are well beyond washed up as well. Do you see the shape that they're in. The point is at least they were former champions. Not someone off the street who fought for sandwiches.

You're under the assumption that these guys are actual boxers. I'm not really buying that one at all.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 5, 2010 at 12:09 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

James Toney!!!

I seem to recall, Couture shooting in and Toney not having a chance in hell. How about example #2, Ray Mercer getting owned by one of the lowest level MMA fighters in Kimbo Slice.

Toney and Mercer only fight to collect a paycheck. You can just look at their bodies and see that they're not taking these fights too seriously anymore. If anything they're probally loving these MMA fights because they're over with an under a 1 minute any way you look at it.

As for Victor Belfort he fought one boxing match against a complete bum. That's the only known fight from his competition. Wow, what a victory!!!!!!!!

Well you list the only time a MMA fighter has actually been KO'd, but Vitor Belforts one victory is not satisfiable??

Tim Sylvia is one of the worst MMA fighters I've ever seen, he was overrated from the start.

How many credible boxers have actually fought MMA? Not a large sample number right there.

Tim Sylvia is a former champ. Vincent Belfort fought a bum off the street with 0 professional fights. I think there's a difference there.

How does it make it different just cause Tim Sylvia was an ex-champ. Its still boxing vs. MMA and MMA cross over to boxing anyway you slice it. Tim Sylvia chose to stand and he got caught, credit Mercer for that. But, that's just the way Sylvia is, he'll stand and strike with anyone. And that should answer one of the questions, that if a MMA fighter chose to stand with a boxer. But that's also one of Sylvia's weaknesses, he cannot work the inside to save his life and leaves himself open, hence the Mercer KO.

The point is one was credible victory, and the other wasn't. Why should I care that Vincent Belfort boxed a bum off the street and won? That's not proving anything.

What does it tell you when a old washed up boxer wants to go MMA he's main eventing, but when a MMA fighter makes the switch he starts from the bottom?

VITOR debuted where he was given, don't you think if he had a real money fight he would've took it?? He simply played the cards he was dealt, how do you fault him for that?? It was still boxing in the end. Ask Vitor if he would box the best, and I'm sure he wouldn't tun it down. Shoot Anderson Silva wanted/wants to box Roy Jones Jr., ask the promoters why that doesn't happen??

But in the end, what exactly is your argument. Is it that an MMA fighter got KO by a boxer in the Octagon, no doubt I won't argue that it happened. Or is that, Boxing will always beat MMA fighters, obviously, you have no argument there. For one, its still 3-1 MMA over boxing. Two, how many boxers have transitioned over to MMA, none that will give us a clear cut answer. Again, I'm getting mixed signals on your argument, or is it that you just hate to lose arguments??

I'm not faulting him for it at all, but you're the one who brought it up making it look like he had success in boxing and could make the crossover. He didn't. He fought one fight against a bum off the street and left boxing. That's not success by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm just countering your argument that a boxer can't hold up against a MMA fighter. Where did I imply that they'd win every fight? You have at it 3-1 but I'm only seeing 2 victories so far Slice over Mercer and Couture over Toney.

My point was that Vitor fought a sanctioned boxing match, how hard is that to except. An MMA fighter willing to cross over. How did I imply that it was success, other than it was just a cross over?? And example #2 is right above your post, Yeves Edwards.

He fought a sanctioned boxing match against a bum. How hard is to accept that. The same goes for Yeves Edwards. He compiled a 2-0 record against local gym rats.

You have to fill me in on Marcus Davis. Sounds like he had a good career making the transition from boxer to MMA fighter.

OK so set up a boxing match against Belfort and Mayweather then. And Yeves Edwards and Paciquao too. I mean cheesus, your not acknowleding the fact that they in fact crossed over. Again, its the cards they are dealt with, you act like you are able to set up matches. Again, if Belfort and Edwards could straight up get big money fights do you think they would turn it down....no, they boxed who they had to, to make their debut. Where did we imply that it was success??

My bad his name was Art Jimmerson, not Marcus Davis. And before that there was another boxer who fought in the UFC from the beginning.

James Toney!!!

OK so set up a boxing match against Belfort and Mayweather then. And Yeves Edwards and Paciquao too. I mean cheesus, your not acknowleding the fact that they in fact crossed over. Again, its the cards they are dealt with, you act like you are able to set up matches. Again, if Belfort and Edwards could straight up get big money fights do you think they would turn it down....no, they boxed who they had to, to make their debut. Where did we imply that it was success??

My bad his name was Art Jimmerson, not Marcus Davis. And before that there was another boxer who fought in the UFC from the beginning.

You're the one who mentioned it like it had meaning. They crossed over and beat some guy fighting for a sandwich. Take it for what it's worth.

Art who? I thought we're talking about credible boxers making the crossover here.

I think we would all love to see Mayweather or Paciquo go up against insert great MMA fighter in both the Octagon and the ring. God would that be great. Let's see how it plays out in both worlds. You can barely get 2 great boxers to fight each other so don't hold your breath on that one.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 5, 2010 at 12:33 PM ]
Matt Skelton, a heavyweight champion boxer, lost his one and only MMA fight due to a guillotine choke a minute into the fight.

Fact is, there haven't been very many that crossed over into either sport.

I still stand by my basketball analogy. Being the best at boxing is like being the best 3 point shooter. In a fight, it's useless if your opponent can negate it. You won't find the most elite fighter in boxing, because it's just one aspect of a fight.
mma = white mans only chance to win a fight.

There i said it
=P
btw what style of boxer we talkn, Boxer or puncher.
Originally posted by 9erObsession:

There i said it
=P

LMFAO

This

UFC is only famous because of the reality show.

Once that sh*t dies out, so will that sport.

There's your takedown lol
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

There i said it
=P

LMFAO

This

Seriously got mixed signals in your interest of MMA. From someone who has 700+ post in the MMA thread, you sure do look as if your just trying to start something.

And no, if the show fades away MMA and the UFC will not. UFC and the world of MMA is much bigger than you think.
[ Edited by Kolohe on Sep 6, 2010 at 12:43 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

James Toney!!!

You're the one who mentioned it like it had meaning. They crossed over and beat some guy fighting for a sandwich. Take it for what it's worth.

Art who? I thought we're talking about credible boxers making the crossover here.

I think we would all love to see Mayweather or Paciquo go up against insert great MMA fighter in both the Octagon and the ring. God would that be great. Let's see how it plays out in both worlds. You can barely get 2 great boxers to fight each other so don't hold your breath on that one.

Again, how many times must I repeat myself, I was only pointing out that a MMA fighter has crossed over. You were the one implying that I was looking at it as success.

And as for Art Jimmerson, hes a 1983 national golden glove champion. You keep bringing up the caliber of a boxer, my main point is that a boxer will be defeated more times than not in the Octagon. Isn't that the whole point to this thread??

James Toney!!!

Again, how many times must I repeat myself, I was only pointing out that a MMA fighter has crossed over. You were the one implying that I was looking at it as success.

And as for Art Jimmerson, hes a 1983 national golden glove champion. You keep bringing up the caliber of a boxer, my main point is that a boxer will be defeated more times than not in the Octagon. Isn't that the whole point to this thread??

Of course you looked at it as success, why else would you flaunt his result with a bum in that 3-1 record?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:

James Toney!!!

Of course you looked at it as success, why else would you flaunt his result with a bum in that 3-1 record?

What??

That 3-1 record is about boxing vs. MMA. That's all to my knowledge I have to go by, when judging the overall situation.

WTH are you talking about.
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:

James Toney!!!

What??

That 3-1 record is about boxing vs. MMA. That's all to my knowledge I have to go by, when judging the overall situation.

WTH are you talking about.

I'm talking about how you prop up a meaningless win to somehow mean something in the context of MMA vs boxing. S**t, I mean, it's like if I decided to become an MMA fighter and took on boxers Marcos Maidana or Victor Ortiz in an MMA fight. No doubt they'd whoop my ass but I doubt you'd bother to count it in the overall picture of boxing vs MMA, yet you actually put stock in Belfort's win over some dude that never fought a professional fight in his life.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

There i said it
=P

LMFAO

This

Seriously got mixed signals in your interest of MMA. From someone who has 700+ post in the MMA thread, you sure do look as if your just trying to start something.

And no, if the show fades away MMA and the UFC will not. UFC and the world of MMA is much bigger than you think.

I went to UFC's before 9/11

before UFC had ppv type shows, but didn't show them on PPV

James Toney!!!

Plenty of average boxers have had success crossing over into MMA. You brought up Bruce Davis, Jeremy Williams went 5-0 in MMA (against scrubs), hell Butterbean had a pretty decent MMA career. I don't see the proof that boxers can't make it in MMA. Especially if they actually take the fight seriously and don't just show up to collect a paycheck like Mercer and Toney.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 6, 2010 at 8:56 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone