Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 579 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

QB Brock Purdy Thread

  • dj43
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 38,355
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by dj43:
As of this morning, PFF ranks Lamar Jackson the #2 running QB in the league.

Guess who is #1?

Josh Allen

No, he is #3.

Try again.
  • dj43
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 38,355
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Yeah there is just a large amount of bias against him. He can be spectacular sometimes. I just wish some would hit the highlights. Because it would change the perceptions. But the national media and other fan bases are wildly biased against him. Even if he does good they ignore it and wait for a Ravens type game. To say see that's what he is. They just wait for an example of their bias to get reinforced. While ignoring when he does well or even has some spectacular plays.

That seems to have turned the corner this morning. National media is singing his praises today. NFL.com says he is on an MVP course.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-week-3-sunday-aftermath-tyler-loop-drake-maye-brock-purdy-raiders#49ers
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Yeah there is just a large amount of bias against him. He can be spectacular sometimes. I just wish some would hit the highlights. Because it would change the perceptions. But the national media and other fan bases are wildly biased against him. Even if he does good they ignore it and wait for a Ravens type game. To say see that's what he is. They just wait for an example of their bias to get reinforced. While ignoring when he does well or even has some spectacular plays.

That seems to have turned the corner this morning. National media is singing his praises today. NFL.com says he is on an MVP course.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-week-3-sunday-aftermath-tyler-loop-drake-maye-brock-purdy-raiders#49ers

Yeah that is good and let's hope it keeps up. I think perceptions are slow to change. But if you do it over a lot of years it's tough to ignore. Also he looks better this year than he has before. He seems to have matured a lot this year.
  • dj43
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 38,355
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Yeah there is just a large amount of bias against him. He can be spectacular sometimes. I just wish some would hit the highlights. Because it would change the perceptions. But the national media and other fan bases are wildly biased against him. Even if he does good they ignore it and wait for a Ravens type game. To say see that's what he is. They just wait for an example of their bias to get reinforced. While ignoring when he does well or even has some spectacular plays.

That seems to have turned the corner this morning. National media is singing his praises today. NFL.com says he is on an MVP course.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-week-3-sunday-aftermath-tyler-loop-drake-maye-brock-purdy-raiders#49ers

Yeah that is good and let's hope it keeps up. I think perceptions are slow to change. But if you do it over a lot of years it's tough to ignore. Also he looks better this year than he has before. He seems to have matured a lot this year.

When I go back and look at some of his games his first year, I see pretty much the same player I am seeing now. On the TV broadcast yesterday, Darryll Johnson, not exactly a 49er homer, said he was amazed to see Purdy playing at a veteran level in that first Miami game and has continued since.

When Purdy is fully healthy, he is as good as there is in the NFL right now. It has always been a matter of health. I have no doubt we would have won the SB the year Reddick took out his elbow.

Yes, there may be some maturity but more than that, he has just seen more now and very little surprises him. He has answers.
The next two weeks will be pretty telling in terms of how legitimate the MVP talk is, especially the game against Seattle. The national media will turn on Purdy if he struggles against Seattle again. Stafford had nearly 1000 yards and 8 TDS, 0 ints against that defense last year in 3 games.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
The next two weeks will be pretty telling in terms of how legitimate the MVP talk is, especially the game against Seattle. The national media will turn on Purdy if he struggles against Seattle again. Stafford had nearly 1000 yards and 8 TDS, 0 ints against that defense last year in 3 games.

Brock can only do so much which is a lot. I am concerned on D injuries as we are struggling against the run and Pass Rush is hit or miss. I am not worried about Brock at all. Please please no more injuries.

One thing has came out of these three weeks and that is I love Raheem. I hope we can keep him around for a few years. The guy is awesome.
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 33,324
Brock's ability to evade and create out of structure is such a weapon. That jump pass was bonkers. He also threw across the field on one play that fell incomplete but showed his gun slinger mentality.
Thank god he's using his legs a little more…free yards and forces defenses to have to play you differently.

Brock has "it" we just need guys to stay healthy for one year
  • dj43
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 38,355
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by dj43:
As of this morning, PFF ranks Lamar Jackson the #2 running QB in the league.

Guess who is #1?

Josh Allen

No, he is #3.

Try again.

OK. I know y'all are stuck so I'll let it out.

Brock Purdy is the #1 ranked running QB in the league...and the #1 passing QB in the league. I think that means he is good.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Yeah there is just a large amount of bias against him. He can be spectacular sometimes. I just wish some would hit the highlights. Because it would change the perceptions. But the national media and other fan bases are wildly biased against him. Even if he does good they ignore it and wait for a Ravens type game. To say see that's what he is. They just wait for an example of their bias to get reinforced. While ignoring when he does well or even has some spectacular plays.

People have egos, and a lot of times these egos are extremely fragile, so if they've dug in and doubled down on an opinion, it doesn't matter WHAT evidence you provide to prove they are wrong, they will just play mental gymnastics to the extreme to avoid admitting they're wrong or feeling stupid. This is not a Purdy or even football issue, this is how a lot of people just are period, about any subject. You see it in politics all the time, literally any subject.

"Potential", measureables, prototype... none of that s**t wins games or means anything, PERFORMANCE trumps all and is the only thing that actually matters.
I watched Nix and Stafford last night...very underwhelming. I've watched Stroud a couple times (I live in the Houston area) and he's meh. I've watch doofy from Philly and he's sorry when pressured. Kermit is great...but I hedge my bets with him because he always has the Refs at his back. Allen plays well...but a restrained rush with decent coverage makes him look very mortal.

I know I'm biased...but as I watch other "great" QB's I can't help circling back to how good Purdy is. He's not perfect, but damn...he goes through his progressions like lightning, throws into tight windows, doesn't (usually) get his receivers killed, has enough arm to make the throws, is smart enough to take what the D gives him, and has the wheels to make some magic happen with it all goes to sh#t.

I grew up watching Joe Cool set the bar for what QB play should be. Loved me some Steve. Cheered for Garcia. Sympathized with Alex. Hoped for the best with Garapalo. ...but for the first time in 30+ years I feel confident every time we get the ball. I know not every drive will end in a TD and not every game is a win but I know we always have a chance with #13 in there.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 22,284
MVP!! MVP!! MVP !!!

Hmm, what QB that started a lot of games for Kyle is missing from his answer?
[ Edited by 49ersRing on Sep 28, 2026 at 11:35 AM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 22,284
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

Hmm, what QB that started a lot of games for Kyle is missing from his answer?

Remind The Best Young Mind in Football those QBs did not put a ring in his finger..
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 33,324
Originally posted by Mankster:
I watched Nix and Stafford last night...very underwhelming. I've watched Stroud a couple times (I live in the Houston area) and he's meh. I've watch doofy from Philly and he's sorry when pressured. Kermit is great...but I hedge my bets with him because he always has the Refs at his back. Allen plays well...but a restrained rush with decent coverage makes him look very mortal.

I know I'm biased...but as I watch other "great" QB's I can't help circling back to how good Purdy is. He's not perfect, but damn...he goes through his progressions like lightning, throws into tight windows, doesn't (usually) get his receivers killed, has enough arm to make the throws, is smart enough to take what the D gives him, and has the wheels to make some magic happen with it all goes to sh#t.

I grew up watching Joe Cool set the bar for what QB play should be. Loved me some Steve. Cheered for Garcia. Sympathized with Alex. Hoped for the best with Garapalo. ...but for the first time in 30+ years I feel confident every time we get the ball. I know not every drive will end in a TD and not every game is a win but I know we always have a chance with #13 in there.

Brock's ability to quickly process makes him a coach's dream. I feel confident in Brock and how he can make Kyle's play designs come to life. Coming into this season, I thought Nix and Maye were going to headline the next batch of good QBs, with Stroud also being there. They have all fell below my expectations. Perhaps this shows how DCs are gameplanning against tendencies once there is more film on these young QBs.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone