There are 284 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Brock is the QB1. If it were equal they would say that. They would say there will be a competition and leave it at that.

There's no reason for John or Kyle to say Brock is QB1 if he's not

Dude....who is claiming Brock isnt the QB1? Why are you and others continuing to say this as if you are arguing with someone?

Are you not reading this thread? I've literally been quoted by someone saying that it's debunked that Brock is QB1 lmao

I said what was debunked was that it's set in stone. It is not, as it depends on how Trey and Sam play and how long Brock is out.

So, no QB1 is ever set in stone.

Our case is a special case, because all three of our QBs have limited sample sizes (even Sam). Brock looked like he might be a great one, but there are question marks due to his injury. Trey is talented, but the team doesn't have three years for him to develop, so he either steps up or he's not going to get a second contract here. And Sam is talented, but he's been plagued with terrible turnovers. Can Shanahan fix him?

These questions which you guys inexplicably sweep under the rug make our situation unique.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Brock is the QB1. If it were equal they would say that. They would say there will be a competition and leave it at that.

Dude....who is claiming Brock isnt the QB1? Why are you and others continuing to say this as if you are arguing with someone?

Are you not reading this thread? I've literally been quoted by someone saying that it's debunked that Brock is QB1 lmao

I said what was debunked was that it's set in stone. It is not, as it depends on how Trey and Sam play and how long Brock is out.

Yep. Like I said, there isnt anyone who is saying Brock wouldnt be QB1 if completely healthy....no matter how much the anti-Trey guys try to make it sound like its happening. Its not.

Yeah, I'm thinking that some just come here for the sake of arguing. At actual games, surrounded by thousands of Niners fans, people aren't arguing with each other everywhere. Before I was following this site, I had no clue this was a thing. . But it is. A real thing.

It kills you guys to say Brock is QB1 lol. Yes if Trey or Sam surprise the hell out of everyone they could keep the job, but until then it's pretty clear who the QB1 is

We're not discussing who is QB1 now. We're discussing who will be QB1 for the season, and that cannot be known until we see how Sam and Trey do while Brock is out.

I hear you, but whoever fills in isn't QB1 in my mind. They have to earn that. Until then Brock is QB1, just like Kyle and John said.

You have to think if you're John and your 3 firsts QB that you are really excited about looks like he will start week 1, why would you go around saying it's Brock's job? I know I'd be way more supportive of the QB I invested so much in if I were excited about him.
What would you guys say Brock's biggest improvements need to be to take? (Besides having a functional arm lmao)

I say:
- work on how he escapes a pocket - such as stepping up or going right, no so much left unless it's the right way. I'll also add to not run out of clean pockets early.
- improve on reading defenses; such as not throwing across the field in double coverage or being able to identify the linebackers in coverage. I think sometimes he thought he was going to move them with his eyes. He needs to get better at realizing when he didn't move them, that should come with experience.

outside of that - he's the man! Love watching him play. Most exciting qb we've had in 20+ years (with how I like to see a qb play, Bree's/manning style! Just break your ass with prep and precision! 😍).
It kills you guys to say Brock is QB1 lol. Yes if Trey or Sam surprise the hell out of everyone they could keep the job, but until then it's pretty clear who the QB1 is

What are you even talking about? The only reason I'm not calling him QB1 is the coach hasn't., which is to say that he actually isn't yet. Are you doing ok? Were you damaged at some point? Why the need?

Paging Steve Wallace

I think he actually agrees with this line of thinking. As long as Kyles says Trey has a chance, their comments about Brock being the starter do not matter lol.

If they thought Trey really had that big of a chance to win the job , they would not be going around touting Mr. irrelevant as the starter. There would be no reason for that

You are so full of it Charlie. How many times do I have to say Brock is our QB1 if healthy for you to not try to pick fights and argue? I have probably said that 10 times in the past couple of days. Once again (which I am sure you will ignore), if Brock is 100% healthy, he is our QB1 week 1. I am sure I will have to repeat myself again when you post more garbage that no one is saying.

And Woo....Brock isnt the QB1 right now because he isnt healthy yet. Not sure why that is so difficult for you and posters like Charlie to grasp. Everyone is pretty much all in on a healthy Brock....or at the very least can admit that a healthy Brock is the QB1 until he proves he isnt.

What are you even talking about? The only reason I'm not calling him QB1 is the coach hasn't., which is to say that he actually isn't yet. Are you doing ok? Were you damaged at some point? Why the need?

Paging Steve Wallace

I think he actually agrees with this line of thinking. As long as Kyles says Trey has a chance, their comments about Brock being the starter do not matter lol.

If they thought Trey really had that big of a chance to win the job , they would not be going around touting Mr. irrelevant as the starter. There would be no reason for that

You are so full of it Charlie. How many times do I have to say Brock is our QB1 if healthy for you to not try to pick fights and argue? I have probably said that 10 times in the past couple of days. Once again (which I am sure you will ignore), if Brock is 100% healthy, he is our QB1 week 1. I am sure I will have to repeat myself again when you post more garbage that no one is saying.

And Woo....Brock isnt the QB1 right now because he isnt healthy yet. Not sure why that is so difficult for you and posters like Charlie to grasp. Everyone is pretty much all in on a healthy Brock....or at the very least can admit that a healthy Brock is the QB1 until he proves he isnt.

Lol still can't say Brock is QB1 and just leave it at that
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on Mar 28, 2023 at 6:13 PM ]

Paging Steve Wallace

Brock is recovering from major surgery, Charlie. Not sure why this is so difficult for you to grasp.

You are picking fights for the sake of picking fights.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Mar 28, 2023 at 6:15 PM ]

Our case is a special case, because all three of our QBs have limited sample sizes (even Sam). Brock looked like he might be a great one, but there are question marks due to his injury. Trey is talented, but the team doesn't have three years for him to develop, so he either steps up or he's not going to get a second contract here. And Sam is talented, but he's been plagued with terrible turnovers. Can Shanahan fix him?

These questions which you guys inexplicably sweep under the rug make our situation unique.

Who are us guys? I am not a joiner, it's just me and my opinion.

I do not think our situation is unique at all. QBs lose their jobs all the time due to injury, ineffectiveness etc.

My point is that the competition started last year and Brock is in the lead. If he misses 4 weeks and Trey is lights out and undefeated, Trey could be the #1.

Paging Steve Wallace

Brock is recovering from major surgery, Charlie. Not sure why this is so difficult for you to grasp.

You are picking fights for the sake of picking fights.

John and Kyle both said he earned the right. If they didn't feel he is QB1 they would not have said that. Recovering from surgery with Trey waiting in the wings would be the perfect time to get behind Trey. Instead they are saying Brock is the starter

They literally said he earned that right. Why would they see he's the starter if he's not?

I've watched this game for a long time now, but have never seen a QB controversy resolved through insinuation. From what I've seen, that's usually a technique utilized by coaches to spike the competitive juices a bit. Maybe you've watched longer and seen it happen before, but I think I'll still wait for the presser before running down to buy his jersey.
[ Edited by SLCNiner on Mar 28, 2023 at 6:47 PM ]

I do not think our situation is unique at all. QBs lose their jobs all the time due to injury, ineffectiveness etc.

My point is that the competition started last year and Brock is in the lead. If he misses 4 weeks and Trey is lights out and undefeated, Trey could be the #1.

If our QB situation isn't unique why is NFL media so intrigued by it? But yes clearly Brock is in the lead because Brock played like he was on the verge of stardom.

Yep. Like I said, there isnt anyone who is saying Brock wouldnt be QB1 if completely healthy....no matter how much the anti-Trey guys try to make it sound like its happening. Its not.

Yeah, I'm thinking that some just come here for the sake of arguing. At actual games, surrounded by thousands of Niners fans, people aren't arguing with each other everywhere. Before I was following this site, I had no clue this was a thing. . But it is. A real thing.

We're not discussing who is QB1 now. We're discussing who will be QB1 for the season, and that cannot be known until we see how Sam and Trey do while Brock is out.

I hear you, but whoever fills in isn't QB1 in my mind. They have to earn that. Until then Brock is QB1, just like Kyle and John said.

You have to think if you're John and your 3 firsts QB that you are really excited about looks like he will start week 1, why would you go around saying it's Brock's job? I know I'd be way more supportive of the QB I invested so much in if I were excited about him.

Yes, they'd have to earn it. That's correct.

And that last part, Kyle said in this same set of discussion that if Trey had not gotten hurt there'd be no unseating him, which clearly indicates he believes Trey would develop into a very good QB. But what could have happened doesn't matter when what DID happen with Brock happened. And what WILL happen while Brock's out (either Trey or Sam rise to the occasion or they do not).
  • pd24
  • Veteran

And that last part, Kyle said in this same set of discussion that if Trey had not gotten hurt there'd be no unseating him, which clearly indicates he believes Trey would develop into a very good QB. But what could have happened doesn't matter when what DID happen with Brock happened. And what WILL happen while Brock's out (either Trey or Sam rise to the occasion or they do not).

Kyle said if Trey had not gotten hurt and put on tape what Purdy put on tape. He did just say if he didn't get hurt, he implied he had to play well. Then said what Brock put on tape was special
  • pd24
  • Veteran

"I think it's going to be harder for him, too," Shanahan responded. "I mean, Brock played in eight games, and Trey had that job going into last season. And if he would have played eight games like that, no one else would have been able to come in and beat him out.

8 games like that. Meaning what Brock did.
[ Edited by pd24 on Mar 28, 2023 at 7:31 PM ]
Originally posted by pd24:

Kyle said if Trey had not gotten hurt and put on tape what Purdy put on tape. He did just say if he didn't get hurt, he implied he had to play well. Then said what Brock put on tape was special

There's only one QB they both said earned it. Our QB1 Brock Purdy
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on Mar 28, 2023 at 7:40 PM ]

If our QB situation isn't unique why is NFL media so intrigued by it? But yes clearly Brock is in the lead because Brock played like he was on the verge of stardom.

True, Brock's huge success considering the situation is pretty unique as is having a top 3 pick who a team traded a ton of draft capital to move up for fighting for a job with a sensation like Brock is pretty unique.

It is quite a story indeed, I just hope they are both healed and super healthy. The 49ers could have a really wonderful problem on their ha ds with two stud FQB candidates.

It is gonna be fun to watch.
Share 49ersWebzone