LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 126 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tankle104:
If anyone is interested - see below for the link to a podcast that features Dirty Purdys parents! They're talking about the last 12 month and it came out today.

https://sportsspectrum.com/podcast/2023/03/17/podcast-shawn-carrie-brock-purdy-49ers/

brock did one with this guy too a few weeks ago.

Thanks so much for this. Love this interview. Like I said before, the Purdy's just seem to be a very good ppl. Like salt of the earth type & humble, it's refreshing to witness:). It's also very cool to see such a tight family unit and what they experienced during the season. Good stuff. There needs to be more parents like Shawn & Carrie I think:)
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
I made a mistake there - you're right. I mixed that one up, forgot which draft he went in. Regardless, everything else is true and remains the same. I merged the 2017/2018 drafts
Mentally

i truly was shocked when we took Thomas when all we had was Hoyer. I wanted Watson bad (thank god we didn't in hindsight) but The fact he didn't think mahommes, Watson, etc we're good enough to and/or than cousins - makes me sad. Lol

Mahomes was not a top 10 pick on most boards. I remember a lot had him late 1st/early 2nd. Clearly the evaluators had him wrong including the 9ers.

Not that Mel Kiper is some genius but read his review of the Chiefs draft that year.

I don't really care what talking heads said. If you're a qb whisperer and all this other stuff, you'd think he would hit on one or at least identify it. Fact is - he's never drafted a top qb, all mediocre to above average.

i hope he broke that mold with Purdy

What that really says to me is no matter how good of a football mind you are, drafts a crap shoot and physical potential doesn't mean much. If I was evaluating QBs for an organization, I'd spend a ton of time trying to identify the right minds/intangibles. Idk how but I'd be spending a lot of money to figure it out.

P Manning didn't really have any crazy physical traits, besides size. He didn't have any physical downfalls either besides maybe mobility. Physical traits are so overhyped and valued. Work ethic and the mind - more important than any of it. Physical stuff needs to just be good enough.

the work ethic and mind determine ceilings, in my opinion. Not physical stuff. You can always work on the physical stuff if it's at least good enough (Brady, Bree's and Montana etc).

Rodgers too. Everyone was knocking his mechanics out of college and he fixed it all and tightened it up. His throws are beautiful. He was just mobile enough to extend plays.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 18, 2023 at 2:45 PM ]
Originally posted by Montana:
If anyone is interested - see below for the link to a podcast that features Dirty Purdys parents! They're talking about the last 12 month and it came out today.

https://sportsspectrum.com/podcast/2023/03/17/podcast-shawn-carrie-brock-purdy-49ers/

Thanks so much for this. Love this interview. Like I said before, the Purdy's just seem to be a very good ppl. Like salt of the earth type & humble, it's refreshing to witness:). It's also very cool to see such a tight family unit and what they experienced during the season. Good stuff. There needs to be more parents like Shawn & Carrie I think:)

I agree, more households like this and the world would be a significantly better place.
Originally posted by elguapo:
I'm just still so impressed that he had the number one passer rating as a starter not to mention we were first in points scored with him starting at quarterback. I believe at 34 points a game. That is ridiculously good. He also didn't have Deebo for a few games. Hopefully Lance improves quite a bit and if not we have an excellent quarterback waiting to take over

He ELEVATED our offense in every single category and was #1 in just about everything.

that's a FQB!! I just rewatched every play of Lance in the bears game and he was awful. Purdy always averaged 30+ and Lance dropped 10. The downpour didn't even really start until the fourth. That's with him being the starter and all the training camp reps.

Purdy did all that with essentially no first team reps in camp or all year, just… unheard of. That's special.

Yeah let's just hope Lance has made improvements and he's able to air it out a little more because we already know with Purdy we will be a top 3-5 offense and we already have the number one defense
I agree, more households like this and the world would be a significantly better place.

Totally agree
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Totally agree

That's why he's got his head on straight, because his parents are so awesome.
Originally posted by mayo49:

Totally agree

It's so sad how many people don't get unconditional love and support from their parents. I got it from my dad and it was massive in my life. It made me notice how many people don't have it, breaks my heart.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Totally agree

It's so sad how many people don't get unconditional love and support from their parents. I got it from my dad and it was massive in my life. It made me notice how many people don't have it, breaks my heart.

I think all people are good, it just takes a little longer for some to find it. Parenting is hard, a lot people shouldn't be parents. But, even then, they come around.

Totally agree

I think all people are good, it just takes a little longer for some to find it. Parenting is hard, a lot people shouldn't be parents. But, even then, they come around.

I think a majority of people are good. Some aren't and never had a chance - their chemical balances etc are off and their mind doesn't work how it's supposed to. Anywho that's way off.
Thanks so much for this. Love this interview. Like I said before, the Purdy's just seem to be a very good ppl. Like salt of the earth type & humble, it's refreshing to witness:). It's also very cool to see such a tight family unit and what they experienced during the season. Good stuff. There needs to be more parents like Shawn & Carrie I think

Such a great story and so happy for Brock and his family!

Totally agree

I remember when the media showed Kaepernick's family and how great they were. Now his story is they were racist to him.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Totally agree

I think a majority of people are good. Some aren't and never had a chance - their chemical balances etc are off and their mind doesn't work how it's supposed to. Anywho that's way off.

I agree, there's a lot of mental health issues with a lot of people in the world, but medicine is getting better and the stigma seems to be going away.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SLCNiner:

Totally agree

I remember when the media showed Kaepernick's family and howreat they were. Now his story is they were racist to him.

That's sad, was it his mom's family?
[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 18, 2023 at 7:35 PM ]

Totally agree

I remember when the media showed Kaepernick's family and how great they were. Now his story is they were racist to him.

his story is they were racist to him. I supported Kap initially when this whole kneeling thing happened, because there are real racial issues in the world, but he has handled it extremely poorly. To the point where he only caters to one community and puts down others. Aka not effective for progress. That's not a great formula if your goal is to bridge gaps in communities.

some folks play victim and some folks create progress so more victims don't happen.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 18, 2023 at 8:11 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Totally agree

his story is they were racist to him. I supported Kap initially when this whole kneeling thing happened, because there are real racial issues in the world, but he has handled it extremely poorly. To the point where he only caters to one community and puts down others. Aka not effective for progress. That's not a great formula if your goal is to bridge gaps in communities.

some folks play victim and some folks create progress so more victims don't happen.

Kap has a lot to learn.
Share 49ersWebzone