LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 289 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Silky:
I don't agree with you, which is fine. One thing is clear to me at least, Lance needs to beat out a healthy or injured Purdy. If he is who we drafted him to be, you are right no more excuses. Some past excuses are OK to me, but this is it for him. Time to grab his nut sack and dominate training camp. Let there be little to decide

If Kyle legitimately thinks Lance beat out Purdy and he is the best option for the team, I'd be 100% on board with that - regardless how I feel about either. I can accept that but I hate the fact he was handed the job and didn't have any competition.

to be fair to Lance, it'll be really interesting to see how he performs when he knows he has to earn it - it should be really good for him and the entire qb room.
if purdy wins the superbowl this year, trey will be gone by next. i honestly think his days are numbered already... it was a waste from the start for any qb really, not sure what they were thinking, 3 firsts for a QB? only maybe if it was peyton manning or andrew luck, but like man you really need to be 100 percent sure he a phenom for that price tag, but not surprised as we missed on first so much with this organization, solomon thomas, javon kinlaw, mike mcglinchy, ruebon foster, etc etc dante pettis lol
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Originally posted by eric_anthony:
Watching Trey and Brock is like night and day. Trey looks so uncomfortable at all times. He was not ready

Well yeah Brock had 4 years of college experience while Trey had one full year. He still didn't look lost out there though.

The college experience helps a little, but every team would just grab a 4 year starter and be set if it were that easy. Brock is different

The problem is there are very few 4 year starters anymore. The recent trend has been 2 years as a starter and then enter the draft. Now you have transfer portal that allows players to jump to another school and a new system if they aren't starting.

The result is we have QBs that think they're ready after a couple years when in fact they really aren't. Teams ar egoing to have to be more careful and more patient when they draft these players that aren't that experienced.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
The problem is there are very few 4 year starters anymore. The recent trend has been 2 years as a starter and then enter the draft. Now you have transfer portal that allows players to jump to another school and a new system if they aren't starting.

The result is we have QBs that think they're ready after a couple years when in fact they really aren't. Teams ar egoing to have to be more careful and more patient when they draft these players that aren't that experienced.

It's much worse than 1 year of college. He only started one year on varsity in highschool and then 1 year in college. Now 2 games in NFL.

his inexperience is quite incredible, tbh. He never has played in a passing system. He probably threw the ball 5-7 times a game in highschool at most. He threw the ball approx 19 times a game in college. There is a real concern about him being able to read complex defenses and operate in complex route trees etc. I'm not saying he can't but he has absolutely no history of ever having to do it.

i think Kyle has the same concern based on play calling and constantly running him between tackles. I guarantee that isn't his first choice. Lol I interpret that as his lack of confidence in lances ability at this time. It's like the playbook is super shrunk down and he wants him to master those first.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 17, 2023 at 3:36 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
Here it is, at the 23:00 mark. (JTO Sullivan breakdown video of Bucs game)

Gosh I love Brock Purdy ❤️ Impressive
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
if purdy wins the superbowl this year, trey will be gone by next. i honestly think his days are numbered already... it was a waste from the start for any qb really, not sure what they were thinking, 3 firsts for a QB? only maybe if it was peyton manning or andrew luck, but like man you really need to be 100 percent sure he a phenom for that price tag, but not surprised as we missed on first so much with this organization, solomon thomas, javon kinlaw, mike mcglinchy, ruebon foster, etc etc dante pettis lol

Please let the 49ers win the SB in Vegas, that would be a dream 💭
Originally posted by Montana:

Please let the 49ers win the SB in Vegas, that would be a dream 💭

Has there ever been a team go move up in the draft and offer 3 first round picks for something less than #1 overall? I always thought it seemed steep. The whole draft Capitol points etc isn't something I'm familiar with. It may make sense because of how many good QBs were in the draft.

I wasn't really upset that we did - I like the fact the team is being aggressive and trying to get their guy. I'll admit, I was let down and confused with Lance but I was optimistic. I'm still optimistic about him but not delusional.

realistically - Kyle is awful at finding quarterbacks. His track record really isn't that great. He's good at finding okay to average quarterbacks in the draft but sucks at identifying superstar talent. He's great at working with them and all that but not identifying them.

he passed on the first handful in favor of Kirk Cousins. Lol these are all guys we could of drafted just purely based on draft position:
- Watson (long term - thank god, but still a miss.)
- Josh Allen
- Mahommes
- Lamar jackson
- Jalen Hurts
- Fields/Mac Jones (both still tbd if we went the wrong way).

My hope is that Dirty Purdy makes all of that irrelevant! And then make a statue for Adam peters/Griese 😍😍
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 17, 2023 at 6:27 PM ]
If anyone is interested - see below for the link to a podcast that features Dirty Purdys parents! They're talking about the last 12 month and it came out today.

https://sportsspectrum.com/podcast/2023/03/17/podcast-shawn-carrie-brock-purdy-49ers/

brock did one with this guy too a few weeks ago.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 17, 2023 at 6:34 PM ]
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by eric_anthony:
Watching Trey and Brock is like night and day. Trey looks so uncomfortable at all times. He was not ready

Well yeah Brock had 4 years of college experience while Trey had one full year. He still didn't look lost out there though.

The college experience helps a little, but every team would just grab a 4 year starter and be set if it were that easy. Brock is different

The more things change, the more they stay the same..... or does it?

Players chase the money, they don't want to be in college any longer then they have to be. I wonder if the money that is now getting into college sports has any effect on this.

Tim Tebow and Jason Cambell are the only QBs that come to mind that stayed in school with legit NFL money on the line. I am sure I am wrong on this and just can't think of others that have done it.

I wonder if eventually we will see college level players with big enough endorsements that we end up with dudes who just stay an extra year or two.

Right now the highest paid NIL is 2.3 million per year to CJ stroud. A 5th round pick earns 3.64m over 4 years. Right now the cap is really wide, but it might not always be.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
The more things change, the more they stay the same..... or does it?

Players chase the money, they don't want to be in college any longer then they have to be. I wonder if the money that is now getting into college sports has any effect on this.

Tim Tebow and Jason Cambell are the only QBs that come to mind that stayed in school with legit NFL money on the line. I am sure I am wrong on this and just can't think of others that have done it.

I wonder if eventually we will see college level players with big enough endorsements that we end up with dudes who just stay an extra year or two.

Right now the highest paid NIL is 2.3 million per year to CJ stroud. A 5th round pick earns 3.64m over 4 years. Right now the cap is really wide, but it might not always be.

I could see players doing that if they don't want to go to the team - like Elway with the colts or E manning with the chargers.

all this does is give the players significant more power and control over their decisions, for better or worse. What will be interesting is when these endorsements can legally force a player to enter the pros because it's in the contract and they have to do the endorsements still for that same company.

then the players get sued for it because their endorsements would of brought national attention and these companies say things like "I lost out on this projected revenue because he didn't follow through on the contract". It can get real dicey, real quick.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 17, 2023 at 7:12 PM ]

Dante Pettis was not a first rounder.
Looking forward to Brock's recovery and if this repair with the band adds arm strength to Brock. Can you imagine Brock's vision seeing the field with a little more juice on his throws?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mitpdub:
Looking forward to Brock's recovery and if this repair with the band adds arm strength to Brock. Can you imagine Brock's vision seeing the field with a little more juice on his throws?

Major league pitchers who have had this procedure usually come back throwing even harder. That'd be wonderful for Brock's future.
Originally posted by mitpdub:

I saw an article, I think posted somewhere here on the zone, that the repair isn't what actually makes the arm stronger but it is the targeted rehab where so much effort is concentrated on that arm. The muscles get stronger, thus better arm strength, because of so much more exercise of the arm/shoulder muscles during rehab of the injury. Which makes sense. So in three months Mr. Brock can start making that arm a rocket launcher...
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Totally agree with you and that's the reason why I didn't like the trade and the Trey Lance pick. I just didn't see anything special with Trey Lance except for the fact that he never threw a INT in his first full year starting. But of course that doesn't translate to the NFL because you will definitely throw picks playing with the best. But other than that, I was like if you're gonna trade that much it should've been for the 1st overall pick. But I've never seen a QB picked in the top 5 become successful in the NFL with only one full season starting in college and now he hasn't played for three seasons, yikes.

But if anything is more clear is that if Purdy was healthy he should be starting and I think a fat contract would follow.
Share 49ersWebzone