There are 241 users in the forums

week 12 MINN Vikings Coaches Film Analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
I don't want to get too carried away with the win against MIN. We essential controlled that game because we had straight possessions.

I think we still win without that but not as convincingly as a top tier team would.
Minny was playing GREAT ball. They beat a hot GB team.

I meant we had three straight possessions. We definitely played very good defense. Just that it could have easily been a different game without this three straight possessions that turned TDS. I'm sure MIN thinks they handed us the win.
So we lucked into 3 straight Tds ?

The game wouldn't have been close if minny didn't get a easy INT and a flagless Return for a TD. We earned everything in that game

Don't forget the defense giving up a TD on only 5 plays immediately after we went up 28-14 and had full home momentum and advantage.
The Ref assisted drive ?
Originally posted by NCommand:
I don't want to get too carried away with the win against MIN. We essential controlled that game because we had straight possessions.

I think we still win without that but not as convincingly as a top tier team would.

I meant we had three straight possessions. We definitely played very good defense. Just that it could have easily been a different game without this three straight possessions that turned TDS. I'm sure MIN thinks they handed us the win.
So we lucked into 3 straight Tds ?

The game wouldn't have been close if minny didn't get a easy INT and a flagless Return for a TD. We earned everything in that game

Don't forget the defense giving up a TD on only 5 plays immediately after we went up 28-14 and had full home momentum and advantage.
The Ref assisted drive ?

Probably. Can't remember but I do remember a drive certainly "feeling" like that!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Our WRs block! I'm convinced this is why Aiyuk was in the dog house. Now he's blocking and making plays.

I love how Kyle uses good blocking as a way to open up the route for the reciever. The WR acts like he's blocking the defender, and instead does an arm over and runs to the open spot while the defender is trying to recover from the fake block to catch up to the receiver, in the meantime the receiver is garnering YAC's. It's really a bullet proof system if you have a good strong run game.
jonnydel - love your videos and look forward to them every week. Thank you for putting all that work into them, it's much appreciated!
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Loved it, especially the sprint right option play breakdown on Jennings TD
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
I guess the biggest reason I said they were in a tough spot was because our LB's bit so hard - along with Tartt. We were left with little in terms of coverage and with Ward having to cover the leak player Hufunga and Moseley were in a weird place. I mean, Moseley was taking off after Jefferson on a shallow crosser and Hufunga was sort of as well because Jefferson had 4 yards on Moseley. Because everything fell apart, there really wasn't a way to win on the play by the back end.

This is the key frame where I think better awareness would help Hufanga challenge the throw to the deeper crosser. As a deep safety, take away the deeper threat, leave the shallow threat to the underneath defenders. If the shallow crosser is targeted, then react to that.

Can someone please tell me what the coverge call was on this play because I cannot figure it out to save my life.

It looks like Mosley is in man, Huf and Ward are playing cover 2 over the top and Norman looks like he had the flat/hook to curl/bit too hard on the play fake/completely forgot that he was playing football and then woke up mid play causing Huf to pursue out of his assignment and give up the TD.

I could be wrong because I don't know the call but that's what it looks like to me.

Complete disaster. I guarantee they spent at least an hour breaking down this play during film review.
[ Edited by GangstaGangsta on Dec 3, 2021 at 5:04 PM ]
Originally posted by GangstaGangsta:
Originally posted by thl408:
I guess the biggest reason I said they were in a tough spot was because our LB's bit so hard - along with Tartt. We were left with little in terms of coverage and with Ward having to cover the leak player Hufunga and Moseley were in a weird place. I mean, Moseley was taking off after Jefferson on a shallow crosser and Hufunga was sort of as well because Jefferson had 4 yards on Moseley. Because everything fell apart, there really wasn't a way to win on the play by the back end.

This is the key frame where I think better awareness would help Hufanga challenge the throw to the deeper crosser. As a deep safety, take away the deeper threat, leave the shallow threat to the underneath defenders. If the shallow crosser is targeted, then react to that.

Can someone please tell me what the coverge call was on this play because I cannot figure it out to save my life.

It looks like Mosley is in man, Huf and Ward are playing cover 2 over the top and Norman looks like he had the flat/hook to curl/bit too hard on the play fake/completely forgot that he was playing football and then woke up mid play causing Huf to pursue out of his assignment and give up the TD.

I could be wrong because I don't know the call but that's what it looks like to me.

Complete disaster. I guarantee they spent at least an hour breaking down this play during film review.

Yeah.....I can't even be sure what the coverage call was

We also handed them 10 points, basically, with giving up a kick return and Gould missing a 41 yarder and one of their TD's took 4 downs inside the 10 to get

This game could've easily been 37-20 or even 37-14.

THIS x 1000. I keep telling my friend who is a Vikings fan we spotted them 10 points on Special Teams alone. From 8 points to 18 points.....that's a blowout. Plus we missed an easy FF recovery by Norman. Just dominated the Vikings. But hey, at least they had 3 good drives
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Does anyone have an opinion on that called no catch by Theilin. I'm not complaining but it looked like a catch to me. That could have been a moment changer

Originally posted by frenchmov:

Kyle was on point with his play-calling in this game.

Ebukam has really been coming along and doing a great job helping fill the void at DE once Armstead had to fill in for Kinlaw. Speaking of which, Jones and Armstead have been really doing a good job on the interior and have been a driving force in the defense stepping up..

On offense, 3rd down conversions have helped fuel the run game along with Kyle utilizing personnel and formations to give defenses fits.

I don't understand people dogging armstead constantly. When you look at how he disrupts s**t it's huge.
It's low football IQ

Armstead has been awesome all year long. People get caught up in stats and others narratives, when they should be watching film.
Originally posted by Andra:
Does anyone have an opinion on that called no catch by Theilin. I'm not complaining but it looked like a catch to me. That could have been a moment changer

Didn't they get a first down anyway? So it didn't really matter, no moment changer at all. It should've been more of a catch than not. But again, they still got a first down regardless
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Originally posted by frenchmov:

Kyle was on point with his play-calling in this game.

Ebukam has really been coming along and doing a great job helping fill the void at DE once Armstead had to fill in for Kinlaw. Speaking of which, Jones and Armstead have been really doing a good job on the interior and have been a driving force in the defense stepping up..

On offense, 3rd down conversions have helped fuel the run game along with Kyle utilizing personnel and formations to give defenses fits.

I don't understand people dogging armstead constantly. When you look at how he disrupts s**t it's huge.
It's low football IQ

Armstead has been awesome all year long. People get caught up in stats and others narratives, when they should be watching film.

Exactly this. Most people watched the broadcasted version of the game and base their judgment on that without considering what their assignment is.

There was a play against the Vikings where Azeez takes on the fullback with his inside shoulder keeping his outside shoulder free forcing the RB to cut back inside where we had help. If you keyed in on Azeez during the broadcast during this play one might think that he "gets blown up" or "can't get off of the block".

Armstead does little things like this all he time but because the numbers aren't there people assume he is a non factor.

And don't tell me "you don't pay that much for a run defender". The main objective is to win games and we are going to pay the guys who help us win games regardless if individual stats or accolades are there. Armstead is the best interior lineman and most versatile lineman on this team BY FAR and that is the reason he is payed the way he is.
Best play of the game hands-down was the very last play of the game. When we go for the kneel down you can see Brandon dancing up a storm in the backfield. Just awesome!
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
Thanks jonnny this stuff is always a great part of my week.

With all the work you do — do you think this team has enough talent where it matters to win a SB this year? I can't get past the losses of kinlaw and verret as nails in that coffin, but wanted your take.
[ Edited by A-R-S on Dec 4, 2021 at 6:11 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone