• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Dude is SSLLLOOOWWWW! I hope one day this team will get a 4.3 guy

We don't throw deep. Why would we need a 4.3 WR?

Deeper ghost routes open up everything else underneath when that speed has to be respected.

But if we never actually throw to them defenses aren't going to buy it.

That's not true. We never threw deep to Randy Moss or Marquise Goodwin but defenders still.had to respect their speed to get deep. Goodwin was Jimmy's #1 receiver when he first got here even without ever throwing deep. But Kyle hasn't come close to replacing that skill set since he left.

And I don't think he will either. I really would like to see some deep *air coryell* balls from Trey/Jimmy. One reason I don't think he will change is because he's in total control of the entire football team (offense and defense) and I think his game philosophy is basically -- Play Keep away on offense, and play take away on defense. An air-coryell type offense wouldn't fit into that philosophy in my opinion. I think it would actually hurt it. I think with Deebo/Aiyuk and Kittle, I think you do have three players that can probably do a good job of imitating the Air Coryell, but I remember watching Don's defense always being exhausted and never making it past the first or second round of the playoffs.
Originally posted by Giedi:

Deeper ghost routes open up everything else underneath when that speed has to be respected.

That's not true. We never threw deep to Randy Moss or Marquise Goodwin but defenders still.had to respect their speed to get deep. Goodwin was Jimmy's #1 receiver when he first got here even without ever throwing deep. But Kyle hasn't come close to replacing that skill set since he left.

And I don't think he will either. I really would like to see some deep *air coryell* balls from Trey/Jimmy. One reason I don't think he will change is because he's in total control of the entire football team (offense and defense) and I think his game philosophy is basically -- Play Keep away on offense, and play take away on defense. An air-coryell type offense wouldn't fit into that philosophy in my opinion. I think it would actually hurt it. I think with Deebo/Aiyuk and Kittle, I think you do have three players that can probably do a good job of imitating the Air Coryell, but I remember watching Don's defense always being exhausted and never making it past the first or second round of the playoffs.

To your point, Kyle has brought in numerous burners (Travis Benjamin is the latest) but he never uses him the way he did Goodwin. In fact, he only activated him for one game because he and Trey play so much on the scout team together...and then never used him. So you're probably right.

To thl's point, it is a missing element and there's a lot you can play on and off that speed. Garoppolo's not the strongest on those throws too so he has to have extreme trust, anticipation and timing or it's a pick 6 the other way.

But for now, Kyle will continue to feast in the middle and in the short flats until somebody can stop he and Garoppolo. And so far, even with all that film, they can't.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 27, 2021 at 6:28 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

To your point, Kyle has brought in numerous burners (Travis Benjamin is the latest) but he never uses him the way he did Goodwin. In fact, he only activated him for one game because he and Trey play so much on the scout team together...and then never used him. So you're probably right.

To thl's point, it is a missing element and there's a lot you can play on and off that speed. Garoppolo's not the strongest on those throws too so he has to have extreme trust, anticipation and timing or it's a pick 6 the other way.

But for now, Kyle will continue to feast in the middle and in the short flats until somebody can stop he and Garoppolo. And so far, even with all that film, they can't.
Agree. I'll just add that throws outside of the hash marks are typically longer than throws over the middle - from a mathematical standpoint. Hitting Aiyuk at the 10 yard mark in the middle, that same depth of throw - if you take it to outside of the hash marks, probably almost doubles in distance (I'm sure some math wiz will correct me here). With the doubling of the distance, you have more risk of incompletions or turnovers.

Tough to stop those middle throws (As JD said) if the run game is working. Teams will have to stop the run first, if they want to stop those middle throws by Jimmy.

Agree. I'll just add that throws outside of the hash marks are typically longer than throws over the middle - from a mathematical standpoint. Hitting Aiyuk at the 10 yard mark in the middle, that same depth of throw - if you take it to outside of the hash marks, probably almost doubles in distance (I'm sure some math wiz will correct me here). With the doubling of the distance, you have more risk of incompletions or turnovers.

Tough to stop those middle throws (As JD said) if the run game is working. Teams will have to stop the run first, if they want to stop those middle throws by Jimmy.

Totally agreed. WCO, stick with the high % plays as long as they can't stop you. Like running OZ...keep doing it until they prove they can stop you.
Giedi, look at all the different ways Kyle used Goodwin with Garoppolo...fly sweeps, outside the hashes, inside, ghost routes, etc. This was just one game.

[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 27, 2021 at 9:55 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Giedi, look at all the different ways Kyle used Goodwin with Garoppolo...fly sweeps, outside the hashes, inside, ghost routes, etc. This was just one game.

Goodwin looked good in that game, too bad he was not as consistent in the following games and years are he was in that game.

Also the 49er defense back then was a bit different now with much more pass rush power. Back then, i think Kyle felt that he had to outscore the other team because his defense was still rounding into shape.

I don't know if he'll go back to the small but fast WR model (Goodwin/Pettis version) considering that his ground game is so good now, but I do agree that once Trey is QB 1 - I can see him trying to get at least one WR with a 4.2 speed. I've always thought that since Kyle was so good at finding UDFA Wrs, (Bourne for example) why can't he get a known speedster (say an NCAA sprint champion or Olympic hopeful) and recruit him to the 49ers and develop him? (sort of like Renaldo Nehemiah, but hopefully with better results).

So the 10 yard mark makes it 30 feet and the field is 160 feet wide. That means from that 10 yard mark, it would be 80 feet to the sideline from the center of the field. The Pythagorean theorem states that A squared plus B squared equals C squared, meaning that would make the throw to the sideline about 85 feet, or almost 30 yards. So if it was from the exact middle of the field, throwing to the sideline almost triples the distance.
Dude is already in IR

This team is cursed
I didnt even know this dude was a Niner lol

who else on this team?!
[ Edited by D0PEMAN on Nov 30, 2021 at 3:20 PM ]
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Dude is already in IR

This team is cursed

🤣

Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Dude is already in IR

This team is cursed

Hurd's place shall not be vacated !
Is Trent Taylor Avail ?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Is Trent Taylor Avail ?

Yuuuup
We all knew he was going to be gone within a week or two... Dude just got a payday for a practice week worth of work.
Hahahahah
Share 49ersWebzone