LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

SF 49ERS vs Vikings Pregame Thread - 2021 Week 12

Shop Find 49ers gear online

SF 49ERS vs Vikings Pregame Thread - 2021 Week 12

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by FL9er:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Yeahooo, and more good news... (I wouldn't wish injury on the other team at all, but this is where the Vikings defense is at)
https://purplepainforums.com/thread/5033/math-says-probably-2021-edition?page=8
2. Manufacture a pass rush
The defensive line was once a strength for this team. But the Vikings are now preparing to play against San Francisco on Sunday without all four of their Week 1 starters on the line. They built this defense around two massive, run-stuffing defensive tackles in Michael Pierce and Dalvin Tomlinson, and they're both out, the former because of an elbow injury and the latter because he's on the COVID-19/reserve list. The Vikings will also play without star pass rushers Danielle Hunter and Everson Griffen, which could leave them searching for a way to get pressure on the quarterback.
They gave Aaron Rodgers tons of time to throw the previous week and now enter the game with a defensive line made up entirely of reserves.
Zimmer, of course, is great at drawing up blitzes and finding creative ways to get pressure. But his skills will be tested with so many starters out.

Watch the 49ers struggle to run and protect the passer. It's fate.

Totally can see this happening. 49ers always find a way to make things work against them, see Colt McCoy vs 49ers.

It is a rather alarming trend. Happens way too often when we hear "so and so sucks at X" and then they do X very well against us.

My only hope is the fact that the Arizona game may have embarrassed the team and coaches enough to stop overlooking teams who have injuries. I mean this Vikings team just beat the Packers and have generally been pretty damn good on offense. Our defense should at the very least be up for this game.

Can our offense really be too overconfident? I hope not. I think we'll find out quickly on Sunday.

Really all Kyle has to say is show the team the odds that we make the playoffs if we win and show them the odds if we lose. They're vastly different. If the guys want to coast after that then guess it's 2020 all over again.

Speaking of which…I desperately hope the 49ers team from the last two games is the team who will be out there Sunday and moving forward this season. Because I have strong PTSD after last season where the Dolphins whipped our ass and we all thought the team was going nowhere quick only to take out the Rams and then clobber the Pats on the road. I think we all remember how confident we felt after that and what actually happened the rest of that season.

Gotta keep the foot on the pedal and get into the playoffs with a great momentum.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Go, Niners, go!
A unique thing about this matchup is the versatility of the running game that was not present the first few weeks of the season. The new wrinkle with deebo and others out of position is something new they will have to prepare for, which means that if Mitchell is healthy they will be less prepared for the inside zone and maybe shotgun offense due to the versatility stated….

hope we can find the weakness early and keep the momentum going. Their offense is legit, and cousins is having a great year it will be great to beat them. No matter how we do it. Let's go!!!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I need some damn 49ers regular season action.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
A unique thing about this matchup is the versatility of the running game that was not present the first few weeks of the season. The new wrinkle with deebo and others out of position is something new they will have to prepare for, which means that if Mitchell is healthy they will be less prepared for the inside zone and maybe shotgun offense due to the versatility stated….

hope we can find the weakness early and keep the momentum going. Their offense is legit, and cousins is having a great year it will be great to beat them. No matter how we do it. Let's go!!!

Statistically the Viking defense is bad on both the ground and in the air, so the obvious strategy is to road grade them, with an occasional pass to break the monotony.

I think the game will be won on the defensive side, in the name of turnovers. Whoever gets more - wins.
Apologies if this has already been shared…
Some team stats

Total offense DVOA

SF 4th overall
MINN 9th overall

passing DVOA

SF 5th overall
MINN 2nd overall

rushing DVOA

SF 8th overall
MINN 29th overall

total defensive DVOA

SF 11th overall
MINN 13th overall

pass D DVOA

SF 22nd
MINN 8th

Rush D DVOA

SF 3rd overall
MINN 27th

so looks like a ground and pound game IMO
They seemed to always have Jimmy's #. JG spoke about how deep their LBs play to sniff out the deeper, midfield routes over the middle--his bread and butter. I don't know why but I don't think we do our best work out of the shotgun. It seems like the key to the offense is the recipe we've been using, eat-up time, AND score. KS has to find a way to get those LBs to either bite and come up to the LS or get them off the field via personnel matchups/groupings. KS has done a good job of this the last two games, where you see out-of-position players on O and the D looks wonky, like the FB at WR and Deebo at HB. In these last two games, the first couple drives were strong on both O and D. We obviously need that quick start again.

I wonder if KS knows any tendencies of Cousins Demeco can take advantage of.
31-24 niners
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Some team stats

Total offense DVOA

SF 4th overall
MINN 9th overall

passing DVOA

SF 5th overall
MINN 2nd overall

rushing DVOA

SF 8th overall
MINN 29th overall

total defensive DVOA

SF 11th overall
MINN 13th overall

pass D DVOA

SF 22nd
MINN 8th

Rush D DVOA

SF 3rd overall
MINN 27th

Should be a gamelan similar to the divisional round of the playoffs circa 2019.

Run it 50 times, throw it 10, make MINN try and throw it after sitting on the sideline for 15 minutes at a time.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Some team stats

Total offense DVOA

SF 4th overall
MINN 9th overall

passing DVOA

SF 5th overall
MINN 2nd overall

rushing DVOA

SF 8th overall
MINN 29th overall

total defensive DVOA

SF 11th overall
MINN 13th overall

pass D DVOA

SF 22nd
MINN 8th

Rush D DVOA

SF 3rd overall
MINN 27th

Is this from PFF?? Also what does DVOA mean again??

I swear to god, if Shanahan comes out firing with passing plays I'm gonna lose it!!!!
We need long drives like we've had the last few weeks to keep their explosive offense off the field as much as possible.
Originally posted by GoldandGarnet:
They seemed to always have Jimmy's #. JG spoke about how deep their LBs play to sniff out the deeper, midfield routes over the middle--his bread and butter. I don't know why but I don't think we do our best work out of the shotgun. It seems like the key to the offense is the recipe we've been using, eat-up time, AND score. KS has to find a way to get those LBs to either bite and come up to the LS or get them off the field via personnel matchups/groupings. KS has done a good job of this the last two games, where you see out-of-position players on O and the D looks wonky, like the FB at WR and Deebo at HB. In these last two games, the first couple drives were strong on both O and D. We obviously need that quick start again.

I wonder if KS knows any tendencies of Cousins Demeco can take advantage of.

Eh?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Go, Niners, go!
1 more day Go 49ers
Share 49ersWebzone